1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Specific Setups

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by steelreserv, Dec 6, 2020.

1. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I've embarked on a massive project to develop optimized race setups and I am publishing them to my YT channel for everyone to try. Some builds are basically a new “default “ others are track specific.

As I create more setups, I will post them in this thread. Constructive comments are always appreciated as I realize not every driving style is the same. With that in mind, I endeavor to make them as "middle of the road" as possible and easily adaptable for style. (They are very TT capable with minor adjustments.)

Try the defaults then try mine. If you notice an improvement , great!

Some comments by viewers:
    • "Thank you for these updated ones for 1.060. The last on you did for the Porsche was a big improvement over default setup."
    • "So glad I found this. I could not drive the McLaren at all with the default setup. Now I can drive it!"
    • "Thank you. I can drive your setups with much more confidence in the car. I get a real feel for what the car is doing"
    • "(The setup) has made me fall in love with those cars now. Thank you."
    Channel: Steelcast27

Latest Videos:

A NEW ERA! - AMS2 Newsflash! - v1.3.0.0 Review

AMS2 Newsflash! - Nov 2021 Dev Update (Pt. 2) Review

The setups are presumed valid for 1.2.4.4:
    -Minor changes will be listed in the video description
    -Please comment if you feel a setup is not working properly and I will revisit it!

Custom Default Series

Spielberg

Hockenheim GP

Interlagos

Brands Hatch

Imola

Silverstone 2020

Silverstone 2001
    Spa 2020
    Kansai GP
    Donington Park GP
    VIR
    Hockenheim 2001
    Nordschleife 2020
    Imola 2001
    Kyalami
    Jerez Chicane
    Bathurst

Basic Setup Guide

Anatomy of the Overtake Series

See you out on track!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 25
    • Like Like x 21
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Great, here a few suggestions.
    1. You can prioritize tracks which are common in ACC and AMS2 first.
    2. You should definitely make your video from cockpit view where everybody will be able to see your steering/brake inputs etc.
    3. Make it easy for wathchers to see your lap time, track/weather conditions (maybe with a persistent little text over the video.)
    4. You can set your playlists up by per car and than track or vice versa.
    5. And a little side note for the setup which version of AMS2 is it depended/tried on since the physics constantly developing.

Have a good luck...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelreserv

Thanks for the suggestions.
    1. Yes, GP and popular MP tracks will be the focus, for the GT3’s at least.
    2. Future videos already have a healthier dose of cockpit view, but trackside & others will continue to be featured.
    3. The weather is posted in the intro. I’ll try to figure out a way to include track times, but this may be too difficult to do for now(Not until Reiza includes more post-race analysis at least). The viewer will have to infer a bit based on AI difficulty. The ultimate test is if *you’re* faster though.
    4. The playlists may change when I have more content.
    5. The game version is in the description. I will try and work it in elsewhere too.

Thanks for the tips. I can tell you watch a lot of YT!

• Like Like x 2
  4. steelreserv

A setup for the Porsche 911 GT3 R at Brands Hatch is now available. Check the Original post for details.

5. steelreserv

A custom setup demo is available feat. the Porsche GT3 Cup 4.0 @ Cascavel. Check the original post for details.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  6. steelreserv

Updated the Default vs. Custom demo with respect to the 1.0.6.2 update. Interesting results.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steelreserv

Updated for the McLaren 720s GT3 @ Brands Hatch

8. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

As someone who has watched, used and found useful your setup videos I found myself wondering whether you’d thought about doing a full video about how you came to make the decisions that lead to a particular setup.

I’m still struggling to get to grips with translating the response of a car into what tweaks may benefit it. Some things are a little more obvious but the thought process behind some decisions would be extremely interesting.

I’m sure you know full well what you do and don’t want to do....and I don’t doubt the work would be quite full on but I’ll bet there’s a huge audience for anyone interested in doing something along those lines - unless I’ve missed a myriad of content already out there?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. steelreserv

Im glad!

Definitely! Its in the works! I'll give you a peak behind the curtain...See the Jan schedule.

Steelcast27 Production Schedule

-Porsche Brand Hatch Setup (Dec 10th)
    -Porsche 911 Cup 4.0 Demo & Promotion (Dec 11th)
    -McLaren
    Brand Hatch Setup (Dec 17th)
    -Best GT3 (Dec 19th)
    -BMW Spielberg Setup (Dec 23th)

-Year in Review & 2021 Development Speculation (Dec 26th)
    -AI
    -FFB
    -Physics
    -Tracks
    -Cars
    -Game Modes
    -MP review

-Imola all GT3 promotion feat Porsche (Dec 31st)

-GT1 First Impressions? Or Basic Setup Tutorial- Part 1 or Both(Jan 2nd)
    -Merc Brands Hatch Setup (Jan 7th)
    -Basic Setup Tutorial- Part 2 (Jan 9th)
    -BMW Hockenheim Setup (Jan 14th)
    -Basic Setup Tutorial- Part 3 (Jan 16th)
    -??? GT3 Setup (Jan 21st)
    -Telemetry Demo (Jan 23rd)
    -Viewer Requested Car- 4 track promotion (Feb 4th)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

That’s an impressive production schedule over a short time frame, I hope you’ve got some of those completed already or you’ve got a very busy festive period.

On a more selfish note, awesome! I’ll look forward to watching them, but especially the three part setup tutorial. It was the Mercedes setup at Spielberg that I tried out first and made me think of this. I tweaked the brake power and balance slightly but the setup you’d shown made the car so much easier to get around the track that I was left befuddled as to quite what you’d felt as you drove the default setup and how you’d arrived at each decision.

At the moment I’m trying to read and watch all I can to improve my scant understanding - too many years of enjoying driving but having no interest in how it actually works:)

Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming work.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steelreserv

Thanks. I'm on various stages of development for most of the tasks. However, there are hiccups. Last night I spent ~4 hours trying to get some understeer out of the porsche at Imola. So, it takes time sometimes, sometimes not.

Out of curiosity, what change did you make to the brakes? stronger? more rearward? what lead you to that decision? I generally err on the side of more forward and weaker. It can feel understeery at times. But this is to manage heat in the tires and to keep the cars controlable laps 7, 8 9 and beyond. You will lose grip eventually and you wont be able to get away with some things that fresh softs allow you to do for 1 lap pace.

12. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

If I remember correctly I moved the brake balance back to something more like 65/35 or 60/40 and made them a little more sensitive.

I’m very new to this though and really did most of my driving in the MCR 2000 which I ended up running with 50/50 brake balance on a lot of tracks. It seemed balanced like that and I think I tried to take that into other cars I started to use. More recently, after beginning to learn about setups and what effects they have, I’m starting to understand (and feel) some of changes you can make....and understand just how much work I was making for myself with such poor setups.

After several hours today trying to work on the 911 GT3 R at Jacarepagua I can see some steps forward in my knowledge - getting a base that I’m comfortable with, times getting quicker....then it falls apart as I make one tweak too many that takes me into an area I still don’t understand and I’ve no idea where I am. Great track though:)

13. steelreserv

Gotcha. If the car doesnt step out on you when trail braking, thats all that matters. For a hot lap its probably faster, as it can help rotate the car as soon as the rear starts to slip, but you have to be really in touch with it. I wrote a brief guide on differentials in the “cars are too loose thread” today.

14. steelreserv

Updated for "Best GT3" analysis.

15. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

The Porsche my have gotten a bit faster lately. And, for me, the easiest to drive.
    Its obvious that the McLaren is 1.5 to 2.5 secs faster depending on track. Just get on mp on a popular time and you'll see.
    Thanks for proving it.
    Guys like T69 will say no, but just look at his times:) personly I'm 1 to 2 secs faster in McLaren.
    Now, when is the 2nd bop adjustment coming:)
    Signed merc liker:)

Thanks again for your hard work.

16. steelreserv

Completely agree. Question is, can it stay faster over a stint (or I guess I should say, can the driver keep it on track over a stint). What makes it fast, also makes it unstable, mistake prone and abusive to the rears. I guess you notice people spinning with it a lot on MP though too. I would bet a quick driver in a Porsche will build MP rating (as its planned) faster than a McL driver with similar skills. I would take clean 2nds and 3rds. To an occasional first, and some 5ths or 6th due to spins. Talking strictly defaults here of course. ;)

17. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice analysis! Great that you had the feedback of the Nemesis69 and divided it parts for the 3 types of racer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steelreserv

Yeah. Ive had the opportunity too meet a lot of great folks since I started this project. Nemesis 69 included. Super nice.

19. steelreserv

Updated to include a Spielberg race setup for the BMW M6 GT3

20. steelreserv

Updated for 2020 Year in Review. Have a great new year everyone!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1