1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Good afternoon,

firstly I hope everyone had a good Christmas. I was extremely lucky and got an oculus quest 2 256GB with the oculus link cable.

I am however computer illiterate unfortunately so I was wondering if there is an idiots guide on how to set up automobilista 2 in vr. I am also actually talking about best way and from where to launch, how to get good fps, in game settings, what sampling to use etc etc. I normally just launch game from desktop shortcut.

I currently run the game on a 40” Sony tv with all settings on ultra (I have fps locked at 60 with vsync on) and I love it. I have always wanted the vr experience and look forward to getting involved.

I have a decent rig (in my sig below) so any recommendations or being pointed in the right direction I will be eternally grateful

many thanks in advance
    Baz

2. Gene

Gene New Member

Is anyone else playing in VR with Quest 2 link having an issue where their CPU frame-times keep increasing the longer they have Automobilista 2 open? And then go back to normal the moment the FFB wheel is turned off? I posted in the bug thread, but wanted to see if anyone else noticed this. I am monitoring frame-times with FpsVR. Not having this problem in any other games.

3. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I managed to get game working through steam however graphical quality is very poor and getting around 35fps. With my pc specs below can anyone point me to where I need to go to achieve better?

many thanks in advance
    Baz

4. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Spent entire day getting absolutely nowhere. I have absolutely no idea of how to set up the quest 2. I have read every page of this thread. Game is a shimmering mess in vr for me. When people talk about steam vr settings running ss I have no clue what you are talking about.

My specs are below if anyone can help I think it’s a fundamental thing I may be doing wrong but I can’t get above 35fps in game. When I play game in non vr mode it is flawless on my system with everything on ultra using a 40” tv as monitor

I am frustrated so any help is very much appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Baz

5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Tip #1) Don't expect good performance in VR using "Ultra" anything, unless it's your PC specs.:D
    • Turn your game-graphic settings down to establish a good baseline for reasonable VR performance. Then, slowly increase visual settings for a balanced result (visual quality / smooth performance).
    • Different VR-HMD's generally benefit from some specific tuning approaches. Using a direct VR-render approach may solve issues (bypass Steam VR), if possible. Oculus offers it's own specific render options for best results.
    • If you discover a trick that helps VR results in another title, it may give clues with other titles too.
    You appear to have decent PC specs, so it seems to be a matter of finding the right combination of settings to achieve good results in VR.

When VR doesn't work well, changing one critical setting, disabling a competing program, or solving one hardware conflict issue can make a massive difference. Keep the faith and start with the basics. ;)

6. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

And if there is anyone on here from bonnie Scotland that could come and set up for me I would be eternally grateful and would obviously make it financially worth your while

regards

7. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Hello!
    Would probably be better to link your specs in a post. I can’t see them, but then again, I am an idiot.
    Anyway. Open steam VR, then open its settings - I don’t think you need the headset on for this, should be able to do it on the desktop. In the “Video” section, you should see an option for “per-application video settings”. Choose AMS2, then you can adjust the resolution multiplier. This is what people are talking about with steam SS. The higher the value, the clearer the picture, but the more taxing on your system. You need to find a balance.
    I find the motion smoothing option to work pretty well with AMS2, so you might try enabling that for more visual quality. I think the shimmering, unfortunately, is always going to be there to some extent.

8. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thank you very much for your reply. I just appear lost at the moment, I have no idea where I am going wrong and being hopeless with computers doesn’t help. I have got all settings relatively low (nothing above medium in game).

It just frustrates me when i know my pc will handle the game in vr pretty well as I see what other people can achieve on sometimes slightly less spec.

I don’t know if it’s something in nvidia control panel, something in oculus, I don’t know if it’s because I have 2 monitors (1 monitor and 1 tv) on at same time, is it steam vr? Do I need steam vr as when in steam it gives me option to launch in steam vr or oculus vr. I cannot find settings in steam to alter and I am finding the whole resolution and performance issue baffling

Apologies for going on and I truly thank you for your help

Baz

9. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thanks for this.
    My specs are as follows......acer predator intel i7 9700, 2TB HDD, 512 SSD, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX2070.

I assume I just leave the headset with the recommended oculus settings? It is fully up to date version wise and currently sitting on “recommended”

I will try again tomorrow and thanks again

Baz

10. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I understand it can be daunting and confusing, no doubt. It's easy to be overwhelmed and doubt every move but, you can simplify your setup temporarily to do some basic tests.

First, you need to establish if there is a fundamental issue with your hardware configuration.

Are there other titles where you currently experience good results with VR?

11. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I have not tried on any other title yet as I only got the oculus for my Christmas. I will give it a fresh bash on something else tomorrow

thanks again

12. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Do you have Steam VR installed?

13. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I do yes

regards

14. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I can get the game to launch no problem. It’s just not optimised and only getting around 30fps

regards

15. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Okay. So that’s what you meant when you mentioned the “recommended” setting? The custom resolution multiplier in steam VR, like I said? If so, I would try lowering this and see how it affects performance.
    Have you adjusted the sharpening setting in AMS2’s VR config xml file in your documents?

16. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Lets keep it simple.
    Nvidia control Panel: only one thing worth setting is power management. Set to prefer maximum performance. Other settings have no effect in VR
    The only Quest settings required, rendering resolution and refresh rate. Try 72fps 4128x2096.
    DONT use the Debug tool.
    DONT use Steam VR it just isn't needed, the Oculus software is doing all the work.
    Launch the game in Oculus VR mode.
    As others have said, try in game performance settings starting modestly and increasing step by step.
    The in game super sampling doesn't work and you shouldn't be applying any anyway 'cos the Quest render resolution is taken care of by the Oculus PC app.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I have fiddled with that today. I tried various levels...... 0.500000, 1.00000, 1.50000, 2.00000 and even tried the 2.90000 but no difference

I appreciate you trying to help

Baz

18. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thanks for this. I will try this in the morning

Dry much appreciated

Baz

19. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Didn’t realise this was the case as I’m not using Oculus.
    Follow this advice!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. richiehatchet

richiehatchet New Member

@Reiza ... please fix the shadow aliasing in VR. Been waiting for a fix for months :-(