AMS1 working in VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by mr_belowski, Nov 29, 2020.

1. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey Guys ,
    A few Quick questions for you.

1. Does raising / lowering the screen resolution in the AMS config setup menu effect the in-game graphics resolution whilst playing in VR ?

2 What options / tweaks have others used to increase clarity / resolution and detail ?

3 What Hz is recommended for driving in VR ? ie . 60 , 72 , 85 , 100 , 144hz

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sparten

Sparten New Member

1. No
    upload_2020-12-27_6-3-48.png
    upload_2020-12-27_6-4-42.png
    upload_2020-12-27_6-5-45.png
    3. As high as it will go without motion smoothing/reprojection is kicking in.

3. Balrog

Balrog Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just a few observations:
    1. 90 degrees vertical FOV doesn't seem to be enough for the Index. I have very noticable object popping in the corner of my eyes. Even the maximum 100 is barely enough (but popping is less noticable).
    2. For some reason the Formula Ultimate causes CTD's all the time (with 19 AI). On the first occasion, I was able to finish my first lap, but since then, it either crashes right after loading the track or after a few seconds of driving. But oddly, other combinations are fine.

4. keith windsor

keith windsor Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, I've upped it to 95 in the G2 to get rid of popping at the edges.

5. Balrog

Wait, I disabled VR and the Ultimate also kills the game on the desktop. Is that a known issue? It's my first time using AMS1 on my current build.

6. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

never happened to me, Ultimate worked fine in VR. I used the version with the halo

• Like Like x 1
  7. Balrog

I ended up creating a fresh AMS folder in Documents, recreated my user and controller profiles from scratch, the problem appears to be fixed now.

8. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Member AMS2 Club Member

mr belowski ,

First and foremost I'd like to thank everyone involved in bringing VR to AMS ! It's truely a treat to drive my favorite Sim in VR now. :)

I do have a couple questions regarding the native resolution used in AMS while in VR. First what resolution is being used natively ? Second , Is there any plans to include a render ini file which will allow users to adjust a pixels per display multipler much like IRacing has ?

I would like to sharpen up details , especially in the distance . I'm using an Oculus Quest 2 with a high end PC running an ASUS RUF RTX 3070 OC which could handle the higher resolution.

Thanks You

9. mr_belowski

The thanks are owed to Sparten and The Iron Wolf, who've done all the work here.

The render resolution is whatever SteamVR is set to - if you want to increase the pixel density increase the SteamVR render resolution.

10. eSTee3

eSTee3 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I haven't tested this yet, but if this works as well as what I've been reading on this thread, this "mod" is absolutely a must to post on Race Department.

11. mr_belowski

I already posted a thread about it on RD. RD won't allow us (Crew Chief) to post download links because we choose to host our own downloads. We do this because it allows us to properly manage updates and stuff without being tied to a 3rd party. RD's policy is that you're not allowed to link to a mod that's not hosted on RD. Personally, I think this is daft, but it's their site

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Eduardo

Eduardo New Member AMS2 Club Member

This app is really fantastic, I returned to play ams1 after more than a year. I would like to do a donation to your team, how can I do it?

13. Sparten

Sparten New Member

There is a link in the bottom left corner of the app that will take you to the donation page. upload_2020-12-31_9-23-59.png

• Like Like x 2
  14. keith windsor

Does anyone know if it's possible to make AMS1 appear in the list of games in the 'per application' list on Steam VR, so that I can set the resolution individually, or is it only adjustable by the global setting?
    Many thanks

15. mr_belowski

I believe there's a way to do this, editing some SteamVR JSON manifest file somewhere. Sparten might be able to remember, I've long since forgotten. Maybe Google knows?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sparten

Sparten New Member

There is a way, add the game to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamapps.vrmanifest
    But i think you gotta do something like

{
    "app_key": "steam.app.3055931326",
    "strings": {
    "en_us": {
    "name": "iRacingSim64DX11"
    }

}
    "launch_type": "binary",
    "binary_path_windows": "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\iRacing\\iRacingSim64DX11.exe",
    "working_directory": "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\iRacing\\",
    "arguments": ""
    }
    but with AMS as target, else just launch the game in vr and it should show up in the per application list

• Like Like x 2
  17. keith windsor

Great, many thanks, I'll give it a try.
    And you're right, it shows up in the per app list while the game is running, I didn't know that :)

18. Sparten

Sparten New Member

Looks like manually adding games to the manifest file does not work anymore, but there is another way to have it show up in the per app list.
    In steam click on Games->Add a Non-Steam Game to My Library.
    Select AMS.exe
    Right click the newly added game and click Properties and you will see the option to add it to VR library.
    upload_2021-1-1_7-57-15.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. jussis

jussis Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for this for all involved. Now I am able to test also AMS1 as I don't have monitor for racing at all - only my Rift CV1.

Everything else works nicely in VR but it seems that UI widescreen mode isn't activated even if I have it selected in AMS config. I can select all the UI elements. I configured UI to be little bit further from me and this way it is usable but still little bit annoying. Is there something I can still try to change if I'd like to see UI as in post #222 is shown? Or is this the way others see UI in VR?

20. Sparten

Sparten New Member

the UI rendered in VR is currently not possible to have in widescreen.