1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOR issue...

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Simmo99x, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

I was doing a bit of testing today and stumbled across what seems to be a major/minor issue depending on how you look at it.
    I ran the exact same car/track combo, Default setup in TT.
    My best time using 900 DOR vs 240 DOR and to my shock there was nearly 2 seconds a lap in terms of time.
    So I decided to do a bit more investigation work, as seen in the video below.
    With very surprising results, which in turn probably shows why the overall lap time was significantly quicker using 240 DOR.
    Seems that you have little to no understeer even sat on the steering bump stop, where 900 DOR just washes out no matter where you position the wheel.
    Very odd, it's as though the lower the DOR the more lateral grip you have...
    I've tested this on a few cars and tracks now and it seems to be the same issue on all.
    Very strange effects happening, surely there should be a limit to the amount of grip no matter what the DOR/steering input?
    I'm hoping it's a relatively easy fix for Reiza, but there's something very off, would be interesting to get some more peolpe testing this as well cheers...

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 12
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. psone

psone Guest

I think your thread needs a more attention grabbing title. :D

but yeah that is weird, not what you'd expect at all infact. Were you full at full lock on both? Does it make any difference if you make the wheel as light as you can and move through the 900 degrees as quickly as possible?

Really interested to see what other people have to say about this one.

3. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Yes I had full lock on both settings/tests, and tried multiple ways of putting the lock on with literally the same outcome each time.
    I'm not saying its a nice experience driving on 240 dor, but alot faster, also tested on 720,540,360 and it got progressively better the lower I went.

4. psone

psone Guest

so its not even that the quicker you move through the range of motion the more car turns in? And with the wheel set to 240 were you able to whip through the range without losing the back end?

I hear yah, its not how I would choose to set my wheel up but, I know lots of people like to keep it as low as possible to reduce fatigue and for quicker inputs. But yeah bonus grip is a new feature for sure.

5. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

It obviously makes it twitchy and not the best fun in terms of driving, but if its giving that much in one corner, in terms of max apex speed, then over 1 lap it soon adds up...

6. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

So if I understand this correctly then those with wheels which default at 1080 are even worse off in terms of grip? Wow, that's a new one indeed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Seems that way so far, not sure what's happening, but definitely an issue, which needs looking at/testing.

8. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It has been reported also by other people that increasing steer sensitivity improves lap times (it has the same effect amplifying the car steering rotation respect to wheel rotation).

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

I hope Reiza look into this because its a game breaker otherwise.
    That corner that can be flat out if taken perfectly, becomes a walk in the park at 240 degrees, you can literally be in the middle of the road and don't even think of lifting...
    Its like giving the car an extra 100kg of downforce or running supersoft tyres.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

That could explain why the experiences between the AMS2 users are so different. Does that happen the same on different car types, eg also on cars without aero or on something other than slick tyres?

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

I've tested probably 90% of cars/track combos and it seems to be a common issue across the board, with the same outcome.
    In the F1/open wheelers its easy to see the difference, slow non aero cars harder to notice at a glance, but racing against your ghost its very prominent.
    Although its also very noticeable in cars that struggle with understeer out the box, BMW pro car, porsches, etc.

12. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Degrees set in wheel driver panel or game ? 900 here I think
    not sure Ive changed it since pc1 but will test.
    Should be easy to beat my ghost from what you are saying and confirm also.

EDIT I will Test later/today/Sunday

13. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Yes I just run default setup, changed nothing only the DOR on my wheel from 900 down to 540, 240 etc.
    Example FV12 at 900 won't go through Hockeheim first corner flat, now restart and run 540 easy flat, then restart 240 and it becomes almost dangerous how fast you could take that same corner, no changes only wheel DOR.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Has anyone else managed to do there own testing?

15. Maser V6

Just switched on. laptop.
    Only a short 1 here.
    My logitec control panel turns out was a around 568! has been for some time (not 900 as I thought) Must have set it as I thought 900 just too slow for me. some time ago.

I set it to 360, Ran GT1 Merc. and BT44.
    Merc after crashing my way around Bathurst lol for a couple of laps. I got used to the extra sensitivity and did a couple of laps. Though I did improve my times a bit (lack of miles in combo)
    Feel it could be done with more laps, as the ffb seemed much better, informative, immediate.
    Cant say its down to extra grip at this point for sure so need more testing.
    BT44 same as above.
    Reaction time may be playing a part here for sure, certainly for me. with improvement via this method for sure I will be faster and look forward to it.
    Once used to it (bit like fitting a "quick rack" to a real car) I will be able to say if its purely grip increased, my driving, or both.
    If purely grip bug/software thing then devs need to know, test and confirm themselves.
    I dont know how increased grip from a change like mention can be pinpionted in software but it must be possible with some tele data, that also separates from a driving style.
    Confirmed.
    Same result here.
    Will test more when I can. But good observation in spotting this. OP

16. Maser V6

If confirmed grip yes. Not confirmed atm more testing req
    One would have to have very fast reaction times and fast arms with such a dor? too much movement and slow reaction of car to it would kill it for me.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  17. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

If it's progressive then anything lower than your wheel's default DoR will be advantageous.
    At the end of the day it's an exploit and some will use it if there's something to gain and some may have already been using it unwittingly.
    If confirmed to increase grip of course.

18. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Yeah its definitely not easy to use/enjoyable for me.
    On some tracks it is actually a skill in itself lol, but after running the same car/track on 900, then 540, then down to 240 I got faster, without the lap actually being very good/scruffy in fact.
    There must be some sort of issue there.
    Its as though no matter how far you turn the wheel the grip increases with rotation, as though there is no built in scrub /understeer effect taking place beyond the lets say perfect/max amount of steering lock applied, no matter the speed carried.
    I would say that 540 is about the perfect blend of both grip/drivability without the over twitchy chance of being flung off the track.
    But this can make some cars feel very weird as well.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Maser V6

Posted op link in beta.

20. richiehatchet

richiehatchet New Member

. deleted

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021