Automobilista - August Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Hello everyone!

Bit of a last minute update to round up this month of August, which as you can imagine has been a particularly busy one with the release of AMS v1.0. It´s still proving busy in fact as along with usual post-release duties we´ve been working since then on addressing some issues for a hotfix due to be released tomorrow (Sept 2nd). For this reason I´d like to apologise in advance for keeping this update a bit shorter than previous entries. The upside hopefully should be a meatier entry next month :)

While AMS v1.0 bringing us out of Early Access has been an important milestone, AMS development is far from over. Here are some of the things we can share about what the next few months hold for it:

V1.01 hotfix

Since release last week we´ve identified a few teething issues which we have been since dutifully pursuing - one always tries to be ahead of these but unfortunately a full release is always a bit of a leap into the unknown as we go from having a few hundred beta testers to many thousand of users and the vast range of OS, hardware, drivers and third party software combinations that comes with it.

One issue that we have partially identified is that AMS v1.0 is failing to launch with Windows 7 if Service Pack 1 is not installed - we´re still pursuing the reason why this came to be with v1.0, but for now we can confirm that updating Win 7 with SP1 is required.

The hotfix will pack some further DynHUD improvements, fixes to Time Trial mode and some other priority fixes.

Another issue we´ve been pursuing is further optimization, in particular to memory load - since AMS is a 32bit app, it can only use up to 4GB of system RAM, which means whenever AMS is running north of 3.2GB (as measured from the task manager) it may run into some instability issues. As we´ve been pushing for higher details from cars and tracks, this can mean that running a grid over the specified limits for any given series (usually in between 22-26 cars, other than StockV8 which allows 32) has the risk of overloading the system, causing instability issues and potentially Runtime errors or CTDs. We´re working on optimizing some of the higher detail models, as well as having the series´ max number of opponents better enforced to keep the game constantly on a safer range. Some of these updates are already upcoming with this hotfix.

EDIT: We´ve decided to keep the hotfix in Beta release for tonight as we´re still pursuing a couple of other issues, and also not to disturb evening races with an update release. V1.01 release expected for tomorrow now.

V1.1 development

There are some important new features, both planned and already in the works to make AMS an even more complete sim package before we finally wrap up its development.

One of these which we can confirm for v1.1 is the Integrated Spotter, based on the popular Crewchief mod as developed by @gongo - here´s a sneak preview:

Here is some further info about this feature from @gongo himself:
    1st DLC - The Brit Pack

As previously announced, our first DLC pack for Automobilista will be the BRIT PACK, comprising 3 classic british tracks along with 4 british club racing cars - these are:

BRIT PACK - Tracks

Brands Hatch
    screenshot_branding_amsbrit_1.jpg
    Cadwell Park
    screenshot_branding_amsbrit_4.jpg
    Oulton Park
    We don´t have a preview of Oulton Park to show yet, but we do have some good news regarding its development as following our recon trip to the track we´ve also managed to get hold of LIDAR data for it, meaning Oulton will have the distinction of being our first track based on laser scan data!

BRIT PACK - Cars

Ultima GTR (road & race spec)
    screenshot_branding_amsbrit_2.jpg
    MCR Sports 2000
    MCR-2000_WIP.jpg

Formula Trainer - A semi-fictional wingless trainer car based on british F-Ford, featuring both slicks & treaded tires - this is the bonus car hinted in last month´s update:
    ft00.jpg
    Caterham (several models) - more details to be confirmed about the included Caterham series soon!

The BRIT PACK is scheduled for official release on September 27th and will sell for US$ 19.99. Subsequent DLC packs will be released in the following months. More details on what these upcoming DLCs will feature will be presented in our next Dev Update :)

lAutomobilista_logo_for_renato.jpg
    Worth pointing out that the AMS Season Pass is now also available for purchase from Steam - owners of the Season Pass (which includes Reiza Members as well as backers from all levels of last year´s crowdfunding campaign) will already earn the BRIT PACK along with all the other upcoming AMS DLCs.

Besides securing all DLCs with a single specially discounted purchase, Automobilista Season Pass also grants Automobilista BETA - a standalone / independent development version of Automobilista, which receives regular updates of in-development features and content, allowing users an early taste of these upcoming goodies (including the DLC items) as these gradually hit beta status. Brands Hatch & Ultima GTR expected to make to next week´s new Beta build.

That´s about it for this month - now it´s time to get back to wrapping that hotfix :p I´ll try to follow up on this topic with a few more news and answers to eventual questions tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    • Like x 30
    • Winner x 16
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. CCKaren

CCKaren Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That'll do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Koba

Koba Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ah, this is what I was looking for.

Also love the news on the Formula Trainer. I hate the F-Vee. I wanted a wingless open-wheeler with slicks and better balance than the Vee. My dream "unrealistic" open wheeler would be the F-Vintage with modern slicks.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  4. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Great work guys!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. OldDarth

OldDarth Member AMS2 Club Member

Most excellent! Thanks for the update. Looking forward to trying the FFT - Fictional Formula Trainer!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. jomardi

jomardi New Member AMS2 Club Member

:hurrayreiza:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Troy Barman

Troy Barman Member AMS2 Club Member

You guys have made pretty perfect replicas of tracks even without any laser scan data :)

Pretty much almost 1:1 with iRacing in terms of accuracy of layout and elevation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Wow. Where to start? Well I've been looking forward to Oulton Park and to have data for it is a nice surprise and great news :)

The wingless formula is surely going to be fun. I'm really interested in that.

The Ultima GTR sounds awesome especially if will have manual transmission option. My dream of a 60s tin top persists, however ;)

Caterhams will be awesome too, of course.

So many goodies. So little time :)

9. Cheesenium

Cheesenium Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the update!

10. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Looks great. Formula Ford Festival here we come. :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Guys, how big is the beta branch in GB ?

Thanks

12. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The beta is as big as the public version (even sometimes a tad bigger when new content is added…): it is a separated stand-alone game.

13. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

formula ford i guessed right haha :)

lovely little car, should be even more fun then the vee!!

14. denis dracup

denis dracup Active Member AMS2 Club Member

i guess you are a happy now that you have the formula ford ....maybe they will pass you when in your slip stream :rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D HE HE

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

have i got a reputation lol?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. denis dracup

denis dracup Active Member AMS2 Club Member

no dan just that is how most passes are made in FF.and vees.and i know it is your passion to have in ams ...i agree important to have...:rolleyes:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Cheers, Alex.
    Slow internet here, so I guess this means another 20-30 hour dwl session for me, hehe. :)

18. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Lots of good things to come but I am pleased most by the promised optimisation. Automobilista's relatively low PC specifications make it accessible to those of us with older machines; this aspect of the sim doesn't get enough publicity.

Reiza 17 will inevitably demand more CPU/GPU power and some owners will have to upgrade their equipment. Despite this, I hope that Reiza will continue its philosophy of optimising its software as much as possible so that it will remain attractive to a wide range of potential customers. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. samcar304

samcar304 New Member AMS2 Club Member

@Renato Simioni Will Oulton have the 4 layouts? International, International No Chicanes, Island and Fosters?

And are we still getting the Iborra track in ecuador? (Correct me if i have any spelling wrong. Cant remember :) ) - Thanks For the Reply CCKaren

20. CCKaren

CCKaren Active Member AMS2 Club Member

After the Brit Pack was the last I heard.

• Like Like x 1