1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Thanks for the advice , will give it a go this afternoon . Have a great day .

2. Richard Busch

Richard Busch New Member

Thank you.

3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Just psoted v41:
    * Improves transition from grip to loss of grip.
    * Finally works well for all cars. GT1's feel much better, while P3's & Caterhams still also work well.

Direct link: https://forum.reizastudios.com/attachments/silver-raw-6-6-5-41-zip.12241/

I hope your values from whatever versions you already use can be just brought over.
    If you do so, and it feels good, please post so we can update or add to the list in the 1st post.
    We are currently missing good, specific files for at least:

* T300/TX
    * CSW
    * CSL
    * TSPC

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Damn just shut down for the night, been trying to fine tune settings with .39.
    Was struggling to find good oversteer scale. was in the negative as anything close to neutral was to overpowering in some tail happy cars

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Karsten Hvidberg

You should be able to copy over your values to the new file.
    Reg. the oversteer, remember the lfb might be able to help you, depending on how high you are on it already.

6. Kuku Maddog

I think it’s already higher than most,
    It’s just a matter of find sweet spot.
    -0.1 is still to strong with something like the v8 supercar.
    -1.0 is too weak to give initial feedback.
    so somewhere in the middle will work.
    I have coef at 1.0 for linear timing.

7. Karsten Hvidberg

For me it's easier to help if you do it in v41, I'm afraid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kuku Maddog

i did a
    very quick test of .41 with v8 supercar .
    all default apart from matched master rack to what i had been using previously for consistency (0.94, though perhaps i should just set all files to a nice round 1.00)

it felt very tactile and oversteer felt better, i also did a quick test with coef at 1.0 and it may have felt better. but early days.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

"Silver Raw 6.6.5.41 - Momentum Rack 5.2" - LOW

Hey @Karsten Hvidberg you kill me ... ;)

Logitech G920

Long test at SPA with all (all all) car and without change the value in the file (default LOW) ... in game 50-80-85-0 ... for me is the best felt of all the time ... i concord with @Kuku Maddog, very tactile and with a super sensitive oversteer ... and is not optimized in the value but i don't now if i want optimized :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Will reiza support this work near in the future or even give the feed data for ffb file to process?

11. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Karsten Hvidberg I have not investigated and therefore I do not know what has changed in this file 41 (compared to 38.1 and the previous ones) but the difference is really substantial with my G920 ... the front of the car is finally on the ground and I can feel the wheels, the shifting of the weights it is clearly legible, the skidding countercatapult is fixed, the rear can be controlled like never before, everything is consistent and the car does exactly what you expect, but the most incredible thing is that I managed to drive the cars that have always they give me problems and until now they thought they were broken or still immature in physics ... I am referring to Formula Trainer, Formula Vee, F. Reiza, Vintage Gen 1 and 2, F1 Retro, Caterhams ... ;)
    All cars with the H gearbox they are very drivable and fun with the manual clutch and have no more jerks in downshifting with consequent spin ... the center of the steering is always full with all the cars ... in short, I am truly amazed and with the same value and setting for all the cars... and not then I tell you the positive feelings I had with them more cars placed on the ground such as the P1-2-3, the GT1-3-4-5, the various Formula Gen 1-2-3, the V8, V10 and V12, the Stockcar, the Sprintrace etc etc ... I'm really curious, what instructions did you add and / or modulate to get a similar result???
    It seems to have changed the physics of the game!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg, Testing 41 now, might like this even more than 38 :)
    But a few things: I think the general road feel (oversteer, understeer, losing grip) is better in 41, but I miss the light steering when the front wheels lock up. Maybe it was a bit overdone in 38, but it feels like that effect is dialled back in 41?
    And I think high kerbs are a bit too harsh. Regular rumble strips are just fine, but sausage kerbs and the kerbs in Eau Rouge give a rather harsh jolt, that feels too much compared to the strength of the other effects.
    But maybe some of this can be adjusted by the FX slider? So far I have just left it at 50, as I haven't been sure what increasing and decreasing it actually adjusts...

13. Kuku Maddog

y
    just try adjusting fx , you can always put it back ;)
    you can adjust scales related to kerb in file. also i’m wondering if suspension scale plays a part too. in both kerb feel and also overall oversteer when body flexing.

14. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Stakanov,

Thank you for all that checking & feedback!

You hit the exact spots that I was targeting with 41. All of them. I think it's incredible what some of you guys are able to feel in the steering wheel!

* Adjusted the larger bumps to be less harsh, but with a little more vibration. You can find that in the "road features" section.
    * Center feel as well as the file working well across all cars was the biggest challenge. It's part of the same problem. With too little lateral force, Caterhams/p3's, trainer, vee, etc. all will be feeling dead on oversteer. With too much lateral force, GT1's, P1's etc, will feel disturbingly wobly at the center. This is why detection of lateral max force was introduced to v38 and now much more fine tuned in v41. There's might even be potential for a tiny bit more adjustment to that, I am not sure. This is in the "Scale lateral force..." & "Rack weights" sections.

And you are correct. The file makes its own physics calculations for the tyres and then combines with the lateral force for each front tyre coming from the madness physics. So it is changing the feel of the physics of the game. This is because the force available from the madness engine physics is simply wrong. I actually assume that somewhat correct(there's way too much early sliding/grip loss, I think) tyre forces are in the system and works, but what is used in Default and what I see we have access to in the custom file is def. not right.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Torstein,

You are correct, the light steering on front wheel lock up was exaggerated(by chance), but I can try and bring it back just a little and add a variable for it as well, possibly.
    Agree on the kerbs being too harsh, I will rubber them up, so we can have a meaningful v42 one of the next days :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. torsteinvh

Great, I liked the effect, especially in the wet.

Thanks, in the meantime I'll play around with the FX slider a bit and see if I finally can get a feeling for how it works :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Karsten Hvidberg

Nothing points to it. They have not responded to any single request I have made.
    I am not sure if they agree that this is a contribution that benefits both the game and the business, or if they are just annoyed by it. That would be weird, but I have no insights.
    So I have decided not to move this thing to the next level. I have clear ideas for how to get it to the next level, technically, and also ideas for additional big improvements, but I don't feel like supporting a mentality like this or contributing to a company not appreciating the efforts other people put in to something that ultimately benefits only them.
    Giving the silent treatment is not my idea of appreciating or respecting other people's time.

I am still hugely happy to be part of the continued discussions and help improve what's there already, just not add huge next steps to it and I will turn my spare dev time to focus on a development I started to improve on irFFB for iracing instead.

This is all said with the underlying implication that it could be caused by extreme work pressure on Reiza, so they happen to have not seen or read any of my requests so far, in which case I would happily change my opinion on this.

-----------------

Update: My reservations are laid to rest. No matter the outcome Reiza and I are communicating, I am happy to say. Please disregard the above annoyance. I will delete this post on any request to do so.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
  18. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

I can not blame you. I just wish if they had happily support your work so that everybody would benefit from it. Thinking further it can not be worse than default FFB btw.
    Having this feeling of that Renato is an entrepreneurship businessman and overly loaded developer; it is highly possible they did not notice the request or couldn’t be able to put this requirement in a timeline yet. (And aware of the only little portion of the forum I guess)
    Anyway you are doing great for this community and eventually the ultimate aim was that either Reiza support or not. However if they do, that would also aims for the community which brings the result.

• Like Like x 3
  19. torsteinvh

With their presence on these forums I'm pretty sure they have noticed your work Karsten, but for various reasons they cannot prioritise doing anything about it yet.

My personal opinion (I have no insight either) is that Reiza is going to wait until they are reasonably sure that they have as close to a final version of the various vehicle physics as they are going to get before they concentrate on FFB, both default and custom.

If they have to do some major work on the suspension modelling for instance, any work spent on FFB may have to be scrapped if it was based on an (now) obsolete suspension model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If this happens and you don't add that huge next step, this will be a gigantic disappointment for all of us that love and appreciate the efforts you go to to make AMS 2 FFB what it is now. I have tried default a number of times but just keep coming back to your files as they are simply a lot better. Better feel, better effects, better everything. Please don't stop improving these files. Thanks for all you do with these files.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1