1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera too bumpy

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by WhippyWhip, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Of course not, because I have no VR ;)

For non-VR users to try these VR settings is not easy.

Steam will not let me install that--presumably because I have no VR hardware...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Marc Collins

Yes, but there is no pop-up for VR. I am presuming because I don't have VR equipment. But if someone knows how to get VR options with no VR hardware, please let us know.

If this approach actually resolves the bumpy camera for some people, it would be worth the bother.

3. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

I have neither of the two
    steamvr.png

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

i
    I don’t have any vr and steam has the vr support greyed out.
    all i did was click start from steam without adding anything to start comments

i normally run higher that native resolution, maybe that’s part of it ?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

You should be able to as far as I know, people tend to install it while waiting for their new HMD's. Maybe find it in the Steam 'drop down' > 'Tools' then in the library list, can you install it from there?
    The pop up won't show if it's not installed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Beccobunsen

short test/comparison of varius settings

• Like Like x 3
  7. Marc Collins

I have always used the bottom-right settings since they were available. Wondering how VR will compare...

8. Beccobunsen

for me vr (without vr) is similar to legacy whit 0 head

9. Kuku Maddog

t
    is that in VR mode. If i recall the legacy option is deleted from my in game settings menu when i use steam VR mode ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Kuku Maddog

I find it very different to be honest. the long view is more stable and sharper in VR mode , but i should add i have sharpening higher in graphics configuration file in my docs.
    For me with my settings a page back it is very much similar as the view from my vehicle i spend all day in. with only the foreground gently moving .
    i could never achieve that with non VR mode.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Beccobunsen

A comparison between the Vr mode without hardware and the legacy mode

• Like Like x 4
  12. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Prefer left bottom corner. The shaking of the dashboard makes me puke, lol.

13. Chin

Chin Member AMS2 Club Member

What is the 'Head' setting for the VR play? You don't note it, and the default is not 75, so I suspect this isn't apples-to-apples.

General note...VR is always in Legacy Mode (no option for the new camera). Could that be what some are seeing?

14. chabalian

chabalian New Member

Try the "VR Automobilista 2" function and you will notice that the "Head" function does not exist (it is grayed out). This is normal because in VR the head is yours and is therefore not managed by the program. Try it out and have fun.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Marc Collins

Yes, and proven in your second video, the Head:100 Legacy:No in the first video is the calmest of any of the settings--and preferred by me. Unless the cockpit movement causes you discomfort, which is the case for @Marius H, my preference is for the least world shaking possible since that gives me a headache on an ultrawide monitor.

Everyone can choose whatever they prefer, obviously, but these helpful videos prove my original contention which is that there are no options for a truly calmer experience. I like my bottom-right stability, but imagine many would prefer even less. We already know many people want less shaking in the other views!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I think the left(Oculus VR No HW) looks much more natural/realistic than the right(Head 75 Legacy Yes).
    Until now I have prefered Legacy No/Head movement 99)
    But maybe I should retest it.

ByTheWay: In some menus AMS2 dont like values of 0 or 100.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Beccobunsen

You can try the head:100 / legacy:yes and external front cam (w/out dashboard)
    and build your hown dash ;)
    By the way the legacy no legacy is barely placebo inverted setting...i think.
    During my test y stomp on horrible bumbing dunting effect for v12, that you can reproduce touching gently on a wall..., the car go crazy and go lowride

• Like Like x 1
  18. Suby56

Suby56 New Member

Thank you guys! This VR discovery has helped me. I couldn't do a full lap at historic Hockenheimring, for example, without feeling ill. But it is fine, like all the other sims, now.

You really illustrated the difference in the the 2nd video. Thanks Beccobunsen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Having separate sliders for Cockpit movement & World Movement would make more sense. In some cases, there just may not be a good middle ground (using one slider / blender method).

Too much world movement causes me issues, especially in VR. I can generally tolerate bumps fine in the middle-ground but, the oscillation that may occur with suspension issues is another thing.

A good test case for me is Sebring in rFactor2, perhaps the bumpiest track in Sim-racing (Rally aside). I can crank up my motion system as I drive P2 class cars without serious issues. rF2 doesn't have the best head-physics either but, it's really only the occasional big bump that may be momentarily disorienting. The absence of oscillation is a key factor in that experience being quite tolerable imo.

Another possible factor is the speed of rise / fall in view. Perhaps rF2 uses some damping to effectively reduce both travel and speed of rise / fall.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

It looks for me as nobody in this thread really knows if its possible to launch AMS2 in VR mode without actually have Steam VR installed.
    It doesnt matter if you have Steam VR installed or not.
    To be clear then I have not Steam VR installed (and dont own any of these snow goggles :p).

The sequence to launch in VR mode is as follows:
    Start Steam>Library>AMS2>Manage(star)>Properties>LaunchOptions>(-VR automobilista mode-)>click "X">Play>Chose(Launch: Steam VR or Oculus VR)>Play.

ByTheWay: The depressing thing is that its more or less impossible to play AMS2 on a 2D screen in this mode. Why? Because the camera is 100% glued to the car. And because the World Movement damping is fixed at 0(zero) your eyes start bleeding after a few seconds(IMO):rolleyes:
    Hehe or the more sensitive types does vomit all over their mans cave:p

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 3