1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Please use this thread for general feedback, suggestions & discussion regarding the AI in AMS2.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

- Mini JCW / Virginia (full)
    - AI 100/80 (same happens in 100/50)
    - Race session in all default values (time, setup, weather (clear) etc)

- T11-12, "Oak Tree", the very slow double right hander before the back straight. AI is extremely slow on exit, can pass 3 of them in that spot and in next straight in every lap of the race.

- T16b - 17, "Hog Pen", last corner before the start/finish straight. In this case, the AI has too fast exit speed, nothing extreme this time, but very noticeable when compared with every other spot in the track

- All other corners seem to be well enough balanced

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TinMan_JB

TinMan_JB Member

A general observation: AI laptimes spread is very small, around 0.3-0.4s, regardless od strength and aggression setting.
    27AI cars, all G40 cup.
    Tracks driven@AI strength:
    -Brands Hatch Indy@90, 88, 85
    -Cadwell@86, 87, 89, 90, 92
    -Oulton Int. & Fosters, both@90, 92
    -Donnington nat@90, 91
    all with G40 cup, aggression setting: 80, 70 on Cadwell.
    Here and there the AI laptime spread is a bit larger, 0.5-0.8s, but it is very rare.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Car / Track used: pretty much every car / Adelaide
    AI Strength setting: 103-107
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): turn 8
    AI Aggression setting: 90
    Session Distance: any
    Weather when the issue was observed: cloudy but also any
    Player Tyre: slick
    AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race) all

AI are always slow on exit of turn 8 and brake mid corner making the easy targets into 9 but then if you get along side into 9 them they can turn in on you and hold the turn even after inmpact causing cars to get stuck.
    I have video of the Ai turn in if needed using the 2019 Stock car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

When filing a report please include the following information relevant to reproducing the issue:
    • Car / Track used: F-Reiza / Spa
    • AI Strength setting: 120
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific):
    • AI Aggression setting: 50
    • Session Distance: Qualify 10 mins
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Clear
    • Player Tyre: Soft
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Qualify
    Issue: AI performance in qualify is completely off pace. I am 1.4s faster than the fastest AI at the strongest level, which absolutely makes no sense since I'm a very average or even below average driver. This issue has been reported before (one or two builds ago) for the F-Classic Gen 3 class.

I've read througout the forum quite a few people regarding the AI as awesome, but I'm starting to believe they aren't racing open wheelers. Or maybe... should I give Toto a call?

upload_2021-2-1_22-58-43.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. sgsfabiano

7. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: 1.1.1.0
    Car / Track: GT1 at Bathurst
    AI Strength: 120%
    Track Position: Conrod straight
    AI Aggression: 100%
    Session Distance: NA
    Weather: Dry Overcast
    Player Tyre: Soft Slick
    AI Tyre: NA
    Session Type: 90 min Practice
    Notes: The Ai are down by 25-30 km in straight line speed. Eg. 270 kph max the McLaren Ai when I can easily achieve 295 kph making it easy to pass into the Chase chicane. This problem also exists on the Mountain straight too however because the straight is not as long it is not such a problem.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  8. Coanda

Version: 1.1.1.0
    Car / Track: GT1 at Spa
    AI Strength: 120%
    Track Position: ER
    AI Aggression: 100%
    Session Distance: NA
    Weather: Dry Overcast
    Player Tyre: Soft Slick
    AI Tyre: NA
    Session Type: 90 min Practice
    Notes: The Ai are very slow through ER as they lift off throttle making it easy to pass them down the kemmel straight. ER can easily be taken full throttle with a GT1. Even trailing from 1.5-2 seconds I can easily make this passing maneuver..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Renato Simioni

Think we found what the bug is here - the AI on the first session of your race weekend is slow for some reason we´re still debugging - if the first session is practice, the AI will be off the pace in practice, back normal in quali; if you disable practice however the AI will be off the pace in quali.

Below are two screenies showcasing results with AI @ 120% and quali as 2nd session after skipping practice:
    20210202123226_1.jpg

The second shot is with AI also @ 120%, but practice disabled and quali as the 1st session (disregard my time on top):
    20210202124105_1.jpg

For now the way to avoid this and get proper quali performance is to make sure to have practice enabled, even if you skip straight to the next session you´ll get around the bug until we find the source and fix it properly.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. Coanda

I see this a lot in P1. Great you guys found the issue.. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. sgsfabiano

Nice!

So I was probably trapped in a loop of frustration: I would always use the first session to gauge the proper AI strength to race with. If the AI was too slow, I would quit the session and increase strength. If it was too fast, I would quit and lower strength (lately this has not been happening though).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: Formula Gen3, Formula V12, Formula V10 Gen2/Kyalami Historic 1976, Estoril
    • AI Strength setting: 99
    • AI Aggression setting: 70
    • Session Distance: 30 Minutes
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Light Cloud
    • Player Tyre: Hard Slick
    • Type of session when the issue was observed: Race
    Description: The AI either does not experience slipstream, or it is simply slower than me in a straight line, or it slows each other down in unrealistic ways in battle packs (braking a little while going for moves), probably all three. I can easily overtake several cars on the long straights.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. sgsfabiano

Reporting back on this:
    • Car / Track used: F-Reiza / Spa
    • AI Strength setting: 120
    • Session Distance: Qualify 10 mins
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Clear
    • Player Tyre: Soft
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Qualify
    After Renato's tip the AI lap times are much more competitive, however AI is likely off pace, since once again I got pole position and I'm a below average driver:

upload_2021-2-2_22-11-13.png
    Maybe AI is not deploying KERS?

Edit: my lap time here is better than previously because I was not aware DRS zones were available in Spa (saw no boards before and still don't see them, only noticed it after AI in front of me opened DRS).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's a shame you can't adjust AI in a session or at the end of it ready for the next session as AI seem to be faster or slow a bit from track to track or from class to class. I can imagine it would be very difficult to code in though.

15. AADrcw

AADrcw New Member AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: Multiclass with P1, GT3, and GT4 classes (I was in a Ginetta P1, All classes affected for this report) / Spielberg modern
    • AI Strength setting: 99%
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Whole track
    • AI Aggression setting: 100%
    • Session Distance: Race weekend with practice / qualify / 20 minute race
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Rain during practice (qual was dry and no issues) and rain started halfway through the race (2 weather slots, first was heavy clouds second was rain)
    • Player Tyre: Wet
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): AI pit when I did (most at same time, some a lap later) so assuming they took wets
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race) Practice and race (qual was dry so they were fine)

Keep in mind for the description below, when I say AI I mean all classes listed above.

During the practice the AI were extremely slow (set to rain, rough estimate: about 2.5 - 4 seconds slow for the AI setting) During qualify the AI were at their normal pace. During the race they were at their normal pace in the first half but once the rain picked up and they pit for wet tires they began to drive extremely slow around every corner. They seemed to have decent speed on the straights but they were braking very early and taking all corners at a very low speed (~45 mph average for the P1s) Once they were on rain tires in the race they seemed to be driving at the same pace that they were driving at in practice.

16. Renato Simioni

While testing for your report Ive already noticed and corrected the AI lagging down the straights vs player - good 1s gain just there. Same is true for the F-V12 and maybe a couple of other formulas, all due to the same reason - physics for player car has reduced drivetrain friction and is faster on straights as result, AI cars (which use simplified tire & driveline models) werent recallibrated enough. Sorted for the upcoming hotfix :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Coanda

Nice one.

Hopefully that also fixes the GT1 top end speed at Bathurst...

18. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: German Group A - both cars (Mercedes 190E and BMW M3). Problem seem to be with all tracks. I've just tested Cascavel/Jacarepagua/Londrina/Interlagos/Donington/Montreal
    • AI Strength setting: 100%
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Start line
    • AI Aggression setting: 100%
    • Session Distance:
    • Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    • Player Tyre: dry
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): quick race
    AI cars are much slower to get up to speed off the start line than the Player car. Starting from last in a field of 20, it's always too easy to make up numerous places before the AI cars get up to speed.

NB. this is not sim-racing notorious T1 issues, it's the AI speed off the start line.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Renato Simioni

Aware of that one also and likewise for the Procar, unfortunately while we can scale down the AI launch speed in dry or wet easily enough, we can´t make them faster just yet if it happens to have a gear ratio and torque curve the AI doesn´t handle so well (as in this case). We´ll work it out somehow but that one is not down to just tweaking existing parameters, we need to come up with a new one.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
  20. Jean-Yves Mercy

Jean-Yves Mercy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: all tracks
    • AI Strength setting: 85%
    • Session Distance: 1 hour Practice, + 1 hour Qualif
    • Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    • Player Tyre: dry
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): practice, quali

I adjusted the AI to be about my level, 85%.
    I run a one hour practice, followed by a one hour qualif. From the first lap I returned to the pits so that the AI could drive the car.
    After an hour, and in fact from the start of the practice my AI is about 1.5 seconds faster than the rest of the AIs.

The same goes for qualifying

I'm starting the Weekend again, and this time I'm setting the AI to 100%.
    This time the lap times are correct, my AI who drove for me and the rest of the AIs are running in the same lap times.

So I think there is a little bug, which is that when you use the autopilot, its level is at 100%, even if the AI has been set to 60.70 or 80%. Autopilot should be aligned with the rest of the AI I think.

I tested this on several tracks and several cars and I had the same result all the time.

I did this test to be able to see the evolution of the track, but did not want to do an hour of practice myself.

• Informative Informative x 2