1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just to add the F3 cars suffer from low top speeds as well. It seems this issue is affecting Formula cars more than other classes?

Also, the AI slowing down behind the player on the straights, this affects all cars on any straights. The AI does try to pull to the side, but it is too late and they are too close to the player and they have to slow down or if they do pull to the side in time, they lack the top speed or slipstream advantage to make the pass.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AI with the karts during races seem to be erratic

Car: Shifter kart
    Track: Interlagos Kart 1
    Difficulty: 95
    Aggresion: 50

The karts like to murder each other and myself on the first corner. They are far too aggresive. I will test later with the other karts and tracks to see if it is consistent across tracks and kart types.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

Car used: Formula Vintage gen 2 (user: Brabham bt26a; AI: same class)
    Track used: Spielberg 1974
    AI Strength setting: 95-100
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): corner 1 and 2 ( the sharp right)
    AI Aggression setting: all that I have tested (70-100)
    Session Distance: any
    Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    Player Tyre: vintage
    AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): All

The AI is (much) slower through these two corners than I am. Corner 1 can be taken at (near) full throttle, but AI really slows down. This really hurts their straight line speed for the next "straight"
    For corner 2, the AI is slower in and through the corner, but accelerate very fast afterwards.
    These two corners cost them about 2 to 2.5 seconds

4. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Car used: AR Camaro
    Track used: Brasilia
    AI Strength setting: 100 (but problem also apparent on lower levels)
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): various
    AI Aggression setting: various
    Session Distance:
    Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    Player Tyre: dry
    AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): quick race

AI cars prone to tipping onto their sides after driving over kerbs.

[​IMG]
    Not sure if the picture is going to appear but the tipping over is a particular problem on the corners numbered 6, 5 and 4 on the image on the wikipedia page (it has the corners numbered for doing the track in reverse compared to the game).

The AI also regularly cut corners (all 4 wheels on grass for longer than would be acceptable), particularly those corners numbered 12 and 1 on the wiki picture (because the AI are often running 3 abreast, the car on the inside takes to the grass).

5. AADrcw

AADrcw New Member AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: Multiclass with P1, GT3, and GT4 classes (I was in a Porsche GT3 R, All classes affected for this report) / Londrina Long
    • AI Strength setting: 99%
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Whole track
    • AI Aggression setting: 100%
    • Session Distance: Race weekend with practice / qualify / 20 minute race
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Rain during practice (qual was dry and no issues) and rain started halfway through the race (2 weather slots, first was heavy clouds second was rain)
    • Player Tyre: Wet
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): AI pit when I did (most at same time, some a lap later) so assuming they took wets
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race) Practice and race (qual was dry so they were fine)

Pretty much the same report as my earlier one just on a different track. I left all settings the same and changed track and my car just out of curiosity and the same behavior was exhibited at Londrina only they were even slower. Average speed around corners was measured with me driving a GT3 R and once the field had gone through its rounds of stops for wets (assuming they took wets, if they didn't that may be the problem here) the AI were slowing to 20 mph for all corners. As with the first report in the first half of the race when it was overcast but dry the AI were running at their normal pace and racing fine for the most part (some GT3 cars may have been a tad slow on the straights)

6. Leynad

Leynad Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I often add some light rain in the last quarter of an AI-race and since the update the AI is getting too slow too soon and I can pass all of them within a lap. They did the job better before.
    My last one was:
    Car used: Porsche GT3 Cup 4.0
    Track used: Yahuacocha Reverse
    AI Strength setting: 97/50
    Session Distance: 9 laps, light rain in the fourth weather-slot

Overall the AI is still keeping too much distance once passed even they can be so brillant if on attack-mode and do overtakes very clean. The draft is overall to little and you need to be within a car-length to feel any. This is hurting both off- and online-racing since dynamics are missing.

7. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: . BT44 Kayalami Historic Online
    • AI Strength setting: . .120
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): All Slower
    • AI Aggression setting: .100
    • Session Distance: P 10 mins : Q20 min. .Race 10 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Thunderstorm.
    • Player Tyre: .Wet
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):-
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race)
    • P+Q+R
    • Times and margins
    P 10 mins : .AI fastest lap 1.34.880. me:1.26.441
    Q 20 Mins: AI fastest lap: 1.30.074. me: 1.26.980
    Race 10 laps Ai fastest lap 1.30.625 .me 1.27.781

Test 2 Spa
    • Car / Track used: . BT44 Spa Online
    • AI Strength setting: . .120
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): All Slower
    • AI Aggression setting: .100
    • Session Distance: P 10 mins : Q20 min. .Race 10 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Thunderstorm.
    • Player Tyre: .Wet
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):-
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race)
    • P+Q+R
    • Times and margins
    P 10 mins : AI fastest lap: 2.50.457. me: 2.44.666
    Q 20 mins Ai fastest lap:2.44.300 .me:2.40.388
    Race 8 laps Ai fastest lap 2.44.354 .me 2.39.940

Start line performance TBC Straight speed Fair but could be faster.
    Main issues corner approach and turning, exit acceleration fair

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  8. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: 1.1.1.0
    Car / Track: P3, P4, GT3, GT4 at Suzuka
    AI Strength: 105%
    Track Position: Start Grid
    AI Aggression: 80%
    Session Distance: Start Grid
    Weather: Dry Heavy Cloud A19 TT20
    Player Tyre: Soft Slick
    AI Tyre: Slick
    Session Type: 10 lap race
    Notes: Custom race event has a 70 min Practice session and a 10 lap Race with Qualifying disabled. When I skip to the end of practice and continue to the race the P3 class is always grided up in front of the GT3's. GT3 are quicker here than the P3. I also noticed many P4 cars out qualifying the GT3 too..

ams2_Ai_P3_Start_Grid_Bug.jpg
    ps: black on black is hard to read and looks a little odd for the P3 Ui emblem.. :p

9. AADrcw

AADrcw New Member AMS2 Club Member

This is more of a general AI report and from the testing I've done doesn't seem to be track/car specific but I will list the tracks and cars I've tested this with after originally noticing it
    • Car / Track used: GT1, Sprint race, Montana, P1 class, GT3 class, F3, G40 Cup, and Group A. Spielberg 1977, Spielberg modern, Londrina (long and short), Velopark, Oulton Park (full), Kansai (full), and Adelaide.
    • AI Strength setting: Doesn't seem to matter from my testing, Tested from 97% to 102%
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): N/A
    • AI Aggression setting: 98% to 100%
    • Session Distance: Testing was done with 20 minute races
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Testing was done in the dry
    • Player Tyre: N/A
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): N/A
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race) Race

Once you pass an AI car the AI will fall back and not attempt to regain the position.

In my testing I noticed that once you complete a pass they give up and once you do one full lap and arrive back at the same corner you passed them they will be approx 2 to 2.5 seconds behind you and as long as you keep the same or close to the same pace they will stay in that range behind you never really getting any closer unless you mess up in some way causing you to slow down (or just slow down to see).

What inspired me to test this is I spent a few laps fighting with a specific car and once I finally got by him I looked in the mirrors and he was right there, I started driving a slightly more defensive line expecting him to at least attempt to retake the position... Well a few corners later I check the mirrors and see he was over a second back and never came close again. Once I noticed it on this one car I wondered if it was a fluke or a reoccurring issue and it seems to be a constant problem from my limited testing.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Coanda

Version: 1.1.1.0
    Car / Track: P3, GT3 at Suzuka
    AI Strength: 100%
    Track Position: T1
    AI Aggression: 80%
    Session Distance: 5 min into 60 min P1
    Weather: Dry Heavy Cloud
    Player Tyre: Soft Slick
    AI Tyre: Slick
    Session Type: P1
    Notes: After trying to overtake me on the outside in the final chicane (2 wheels on the grass) here is some erratic behavior into T1 by the GT3 Ai.. Probably looks worse than it was.. A little more smoothening when returning to the race line would look neat..

I think the Ai name was Renato.. aka "The Punisher!" :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: ARC / Nurburgring GP
    • AI Strength setting: 107
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): second last corners (chicane)
    • AI Aggression setting: 99
    • Session Distance: Race 7 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: 4 slot, light cloud, haze, overcast, clear
    • Player Tyre: Avon
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):
    • Type of session when the issue was observed: race These little animals don't like high curbs and are rolling over on the large curbs in this last chicane. I've also seen this happen at Adelaide in these cars. Of my 7 laps at Nurburgring i only managed 3 before i was taken out by rolling cars and they rolled on each of those 3 laps.
    • 20210204231241_1.jpg

12. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

this behaviour on straights in formula cars (which i drive most of the time) i have observed since i bought the game in early access.
    in former builds, the ai also tried to ram you out of their way after you have overtaken before slow corners, because they were keen to get to the ideal line and somehow did not see human player. this is much better now. they still tend to come to your side a bit, but without that insane and brutal ramming. oh, i am off topic, sorry...

when going to straights out of corners, they still can accelerate like rockets in the beginning on many tracks in my skill level (100-115%, depending on car class and my mood) , even if their corner entry was not that clean and they come to the exit very slow. on some tracks, i have no chance to accelerate out of the corner in that speed without losing the car. but then on the straight, as you mentioned, they get slow when it comes to 5th and 6th gear and i can close the gap easily and have an overtake manoeuvre on the straight, if the ai does not drive side by side and blocks the whole track.
    this might have to do with their setups, i guess. the human player can setup the car for each track, whilst the ai uses a default one with their simplified physics, which prevents them from having good top speeds on straights.
    saw this in ams 1 (and other racing games), too. on tracks with many corners and short straights, the ai is quite competitive, because my advantage on short straights is not that big. but on tracks like historic hockenheim, i just can pull away from the pack on the long straights.

edit: just talking about formula cars, have little experience with gt's

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Game Version:1.1.1.0.1502
    Car used: Formula Classic Gen 3 model 2 (AI Same Class)
    Track used: Goiania External, Brasilia Outer
    AI Strength setting: 100-120
    Corner (if issue is corner specific):
    Session Distance: 30 minutes
    Weather when the issue was observed: Light Cloud
    Player Tyre: soft slick
    AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): ?
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): practice

AI is at skill level 120/60 to slow, so there is no headroom left to race them
    (also at 120/100)

14. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

As Renato stated, there is a bug since last update, which can make the AI fall off the pace in first session of your race weekend. If you have chosen practice/qualy/race, they can be quite slow in practice, but should perform normally in qualifying and race.
    If you just do qualifying/race, they will be too slow in qualifying.
    A hotfix is said to come quite soon.

15. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

P3 Roco at Oulton Park International AI 100 to 120% and aggression set to 100%. Quick 5 lap race in dry clear conditions on slicks. AI set to identical for class.
    Turn 1 Old Hall Corner the AI are painfully slow through out the entirety of that corner
    Turn 5 Shell Oils corner the AI are ridiculously quick and it’s almost as if they are over compensating for their slow T1. They are going round the outside of me, passing me and gaining great traction out of the corner.
    The P3 Roco is also 2 seconds a lap slower at 100% strength and aggression in same conditions as above at VIR and Donnington National.
    One thing I’d also say and this is not track specific, it’s their overall behaviour. The top three or four cars hang out in a pack, always two wide side by side and when following them it’s like trailing jet fighters practising formation flying and they don’t break pattern. They don’t break up until you pass them. The worst part about this is, as soon as you hit a long straight at VIR or the back straight at Donnington the four AI cause so much slip stream it feels like I’ve pressed p2p, drs and after burners, because I can consistently over take four Roco’s on a long straight and gain a ton of momentum from passing them. This isn’t track specific but definitely car AI specific.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  16. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

• Car / Track used: BMW M6 GT3 / Donington Championship race
    • AI Strength setting: 100
    • AI Aggression setting: 90
    • Session Distance: 40 Minutes
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Light Cloud
    • Player Tyre: Soft Slick
    • Type of session when the issue was observed: Race
    Description: The AI race in groups of same car model, 0.5 to 1 second difference between them. Between those car groups, there are 5 to 10 seconds.

The race then is as following: Porsche AI cars group battling between them, 5 seconds apart a Mercedes group with all the cars battling each other, 5 or so seconds apart the McLaren group, with all of them battling each other too, and last the BMW group, all tight grouped and battling each other also.

The only way to disturb those groups, is when the player drive between any of them.

It would be good if the AI cars can have some sort of random variance (or better, some kind of real variances based on the real GT3 Championship) to make races more interesting, and to avoid make group racing.

As of now is like four different classes racing in the GT3 class.

Thanks.

17. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Car used: Formula Trainer Advanced
    Track used: Imola Modern
    AI Strength setting: 100-105
    Weather when the issue was observed: Clear
    Player Tyre: Auto
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): practice

AI very quick. putting down laps about 2s faster than track record in TT.

18. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

As part of the GT1 championship, Just did a 30 min race with Merc GT1 on Hockenheim 2001 in heavy rain conditions (from start to finish) with 98% AI and the AI was way to slow. (Rolling) Started 1st and finished 1st without being challenged by any of the AI cars at any time, taking a huge abnormal lead in the first lap where the AI seemed dead slow. At the last lap, I even lapped last AI car and the race results summary showed that 2nd car was 1min55s behind me... Though most AI cars had their best lap times just 5s greater than mine.

20210208152953_1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Coanda

Alterations from last v.1.1.1.0 test above.
    Version: 1.1.1.1
    AI Strength: 105%
    Session Type: 4/10 lap race
    Notes: Much improved with the additional 10% Ai performance added to Raidillon in v1.1.1.1 however maneuvers like this can still take place through Raidillon. When the Ai is by themselves it's somewhat ok or if they are receiving a draft off a car 2-3 seconds ahead. When they get in a pack it is very easy to get the best of them as the video shows. They lack some top end speed, the ability to drive defensive lines and the new draft logic is pretty potent..

Q: Long term will the Ai feature the ability to drive defensive lines..?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is the threat you can post AI reports in, are you using driving aids?

Game Version:1.1.1.1.1504
    Car used: Formula Classic Gen 3 model 2 (AI Same Class)
    Track used: Brasilia Outer
    AI Strength setting: 108
    Corner (if issue is corner specific):All, specially corner two and coming out of the last corner
    Session Distance: 30 minutes
    Weather when the issue was observed: Light Cloud - Rain
    Player Tyre: soft slick change to Wet in the race
    AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): ?
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race

AI is at skill level 108 as quick (or slow) as I am, Thanks
    AI is making a lot of incidents, Specially in corner two and coming out of the last corner.
    AI maintains the same speed in the Rain as I do, it feels natural.