1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other games: Codemasters new owner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrunoB, Feb 4, 2021.

1. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Sorry but I couldnt find a subforum about other games here - but I found this interesting:
    Oven på Codemasters-køb sigter EA at udgive bilspil hvert eneste år

On top of Codemasters purchases, EA aims to publish car games every year
    Although it first looked as if Take-Two was about to buy Codemasters, EA came in from the side and bid, and thus they are the ones who stand to take over as the new owners. First of all, this means that we can look forward to far, far more car games from the publisher, which aims to publish titles every single year.

EA has released a number of slides as part of their latest investor presentation, and here it appears that they like to "release new racing experiences annually" via Codemasters.

Not only that, they believe they will "grow Codemasters' titles by giving Codemasters access to EA's technology, central services and marketing resources, and its 330M-strong playernetwork - effectively expanding Codemasters' total addressable market."

In the presentation itself, they mention F1, WRC, Dirt Rally, Dirt, Grid and Project Cars, but do not immediately specify which series will live on and which may potentially let themselves live.

2. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you’re on the junkfood side of racing games then this might be good news for you. Yay, every year a livery update for your cars and perhaps 2-3 new tracks!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I hope this is not affecting Reiza's contract with using Madness engine. Or a requirement for annual releases such as AMS2022™ ;) or AMS Trading Cards™ and Fuel DLC's to use for racing :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I reckon EA are jealous of GT and Forza and want their own AAA racer. We might be in for a treat if they pump cash into making a new great racing game, then again we might just get screwed with lootboxes. Who knows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. F_B

The problem I see with AAA racing titles is that they need to dumb the physics down or else everyone is crying that they're not able to stay on track. Nothing wrong with Forza, GT and co, they do look awesome and they're a lot of fun but the real deal drivingwise are the usual suspects as AMS 1+2, AC, RF2, Raceroom, Iracing ... you name it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

RIP Codemasters. Dirt Rally 1 was their last great game. Hopefully Reiza creates a real Rally Sim after AMS 2. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. psone

psone Guest

or within AMS 2...:eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BrunoB

And you know what?
    I think this kind of abuse-like response would feel more at home inside Racedepartments forum.
    At least most of the posts in Reizas forum is a bit more productive.

9. BrunoB

I have never owned a Codemaster game - but because I know a few things about audio and sound formats in games I have followed their experiments trying to use one of the rare "full" surround sound formats: Ambisonics - in some of their racing games.;)

10. John Hargreaves

I don't think it always follows that an accessible game can't have good physics. MSFS2020 is doing a good job of having cutting edge sim physics that can also be operated by complete beginners. You just need a good range of aids layered on top. Someone will crack that nut one day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. F_B

It was not directed at you or meant in a disrespectful way, so sorry, if it came across arrogant. I just think that nothing special and meaningful results in another AAA producer trying to sell a racing game/sim every year. Thus my analogy to fastfood: it might be good for some hours but not in the longterm. Of course everybody has different needs. :)

12. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, EA had published one good simracing title before, the mighty NFS Porsche 2000. I wouldn't mind having it re-released again with revamped graphics and updated car line-up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

you guys should look at the overall plan...
    EA + Codies means:
    - Madness Engine
    - Licenses (as F1 and other brands)
    - Huge titles catalogue
    - etc
    Basically the next Need for Speed will be developed using Madness Engine and benefit of better physics (PC3 can be sold as Shift3 and no one will notice it), etc etc
    But this doesn't mean we aren't going to see something new or improved on long term, when you put together so many resources something good can be done...

Also don't forget there are other IPs on Codies hands that could be useful for EA, something like Operation Flashpoint or similar stuff is really tempting for EA...

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. ATSS

ATSS Member

New F1 games and Project CARS 4 will be an EA game.. sounds weird.:confused:

15. ATSS

ATSS Member

Dirt Rally 2.0 is quite good, better than the 1st. F1 2020 is also good except some random bugs.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

EA Published, but still Codemasters and SMS developed, but I know what you mean. There is no knowing how much EA will influence the process.

17. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Dirt Rally 1 had more passion. Dirt Rally 2 was broken at release; bug, missing features, non-existent FFB and many more.

Codemasters is now just a puppet of EA. Just release yearly-games. Cash with DLC, Cutcontent and such.

Lucky we got Reiza rising. A new contender in a world of Simracing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Every year release only sounds to me low quality and unfinished games. Not even mentioning sim. Better no one get high hopes about pc4 just because of Ian’s drunk tweets.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Dare I say it? To me, EA's F1 games for PC (F1 2000, 01, 02 and Challenge 99-02) were quite nice. F1 Challenge still has a community, the game is almost 18 years old, though. Just simple titles - do a race/championship or training session and that's it. But they worked well, without loads of bugs and the physics were not bad for those times.
    But as far as I understand, EA will not develop the new titles, but the Codies will do. And Dirt Rally was the only title of them I loved throughout the last years. Guess that EA will just bring in their trading policy - lots of DLC's and micro transactions. But we will see.

20. John Hargreaves

If DLC is interesting and well done, and out for a fair price I don't have a problem with it, but we'll wait and see what their masterplan is going to be.