1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks Marcin, I think that's the one, and v.22, fei around 50 with the high file.

I think they're rounded off to 1.0 and bump scale is up one or two, similar to @Kuku Maddog , it fills out the straight line feeling nicely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Marcin

Marcin Member

Hi Alegunner68. Thank you for the reply. Are you finding motor v22 bit notchy, I'm using v20 which is much smother. Also what are yours damper and spr setting on the wheel?

3. pista hufnagel

pista hufnagel New Member

Hi Karsten!

could you please try it, the other way around. your incredible steering wheel custom ffb setting will be much better, which is already unimaginably good.

If you set the gain low in the control panel and set max in the game, you will see that all 5 blue lines in thelemetry move.

If I set the force as you write here

"Important: On any wheel base is is best to up the force of the wheel base & lower the "gain" correspondingly in the game. This to avoid in-game compression of the FFB and allowing high downforce cars the biggest possible range of forces."

, only the 1st and 2nd blue move.

I have simhub and in controls and events you can add the ffb strength on a button (TM control panel,control..)for Increase or decrease the wheel gain in every car on every track.

I don't always need to restart the game.

In the control panel,T300rs
    I have set the force
    50-100-100-100-100
    but on the track i decrease the force to 38-45 for the wheel!

100% gain in the game is important

and in the game
    100! 20-40-0
    100! 40-20-0
    . But if the last turns red, then reduce the LFB and FX

thank you,and sorry for google translate

Attached Files:

4. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

I've been meaning to ask about the same for a while. With the 911 GT1 for example I have in-game gain at 35, and wheel base FFB at 75 (Fanatec DD1). At Eau-Rouge/Radillion I just about touch the 4th bar in the Telemetry HUD with those settings. At a track with less/no high speed corners, for instance historic Hockenheim, I stay in the first two bars...
    Any tips for how to use a greater range of the forces available?

5. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Anything specific you are missing? By all means try 100 gain in game and low DD1 settings but I have tested it and it feels horrible :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

@torsteinvh & @pista hufnagel

The Telemetry HUD only displays what is generated from within the game. What matters is what force you get in your hands from your wheel base & that it is not a crumbled signal.
    Any game will try and make it so the signal is not being compromised "too much", that is the same for the custom file. The in-game "gain" is simply a scale on the force. It does not give you any feel-able difference in resolution between gain of 30 and gain of 100, but at gain 100 the forces are scaled up so high that there is no room for down-force, no room for forces to scale up based on velocity & no room for much on any speedy cornering, where the clipping algorithms will do their best to still make it possible for you to feel the difference in load and the various effects.

Really gain at 100 is only meaningful on weak wheel bases that are also not abel to make you feel the subtle differences, but where it is important to have as high force signal as possible instead.

Simply put:
    - The lower the in-game gain, the more difference & details will be present in the signal going to the wheel base.
    - The higher the in-game gain, the less difference in the output, less details and increased clipping.

For DD wheel bases you can easily run low gains. For high end belts you can run mid level gains. Under all circumstances you want to lower "gain" as much as possible, but it becomes a compromise: Details/finesse vs force. So on weaker wheel bases you have to pick your poison.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. torsteinvh

Not missing anything, but coming from a photography background I'm used to 'using the whole histogram', so I was just curious about missing out by not having all the bars on the Telemetry HUD active :)

But from what Karsten wrote in the post above I see that is not the case.

8. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I’ve always run low gain , and used lfb boost to generate firmness to relaxed wheel. I’ve been bringing the two closer together lately due to the way the files limit the higher forces a bit more.
    I often get surprised by how high or heavy some have there gain, as it make my wheel to stiff to feel the tire grip variation.
    I only use the Telemetry to view the wave. As it shows me when scrub effects are causing fast high frequency movements in the wave which tend to create unwanted vibrations .

9. zzigg

zzigg New Member AMS2 Club Member

try to use lower ffb in wheel and high in game
    driver 402 dd1 maclaren gt3 v1
    ff 35
    dpr off
    in game 60/20/50/30/0
    and adjust the gain per car
    hope this helps

10. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

V22 feels great for me, not notchy at all.
    By damper do you mean dri? That's on -2, and spring is on 0.

11. Karsten Hvidberg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Kuku Maddog

13. Kuku Maddog

Haven’t had much time too play, but feels pretty good out of box, maybe prefer a little more relax values like before. front tire bite or skidding is a fraction strong when crossed up .

14. Robbb74

Robbb74 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi you all.
    Again, thanks for the great work. V47 worked very fine on my T300, so I am highly anticipating this even improved version!

Question: What precisely is meant by Tire Stretch? And why is its value on 0.0? Isn't it an important thing to feel?

(stretch_feel_scale 0.0) #0.0-1.0. 0 no feel of tyre stretch, 1 most feel of tyre stretch. This works in combination with stretch_feel_time.
    (stretch_feel_time 0.175) #Delta period for stretch feel. The higher the more the stretch is pronounced/felt. This works in combination with stretch_feel_scale.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

15. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

.48 feels pretty good, but for me, it would be nice to have a bit more loss over a crest, and maybe a bit more load up through corners. Is there any settings I can change to try and get this? Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  16. torsteinvh

Won't be able to test properly for a few days, but had a look at the file and look forward to play with these two settings:
    (steering_resistance 0.07) #higher for more resistance on turning.
    (steering_resistance_timing 0.025) #higher for larger time build up of resistance force.

The steering in the last few versions have been a bit light for my taste, and I havent found a good balance using LFB and gain, so this looks promising :)

Another thing regarding settings in the file:
    This is probably a (too) big ask, but is it possible to note the useful range for more of the settings?
    For instance, what is the useful range for the steering_resistance above?
    0.00-1.00?
    0.00-0.10?
    Or something else?

Another solution could be to move the scaling of the values to the functions, and have all settings range from 0-10? Would possibly make it easier to compare the effect of changes to the settings?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Michael,

You can change the 8 lines right under "#limit high df" to these 8 lines:

(x (+ 0.1 (* 0.2 limit_high_df)))
    (y (- 1 (/ 1 (+ 1 x))))
    (FL_load_norm_s (smooth FL_load_norm 0.5))
    (FR_load_norm_s (smooth FR_load_norm 0.5))
    (FL_load_norm_s (if (min 0 (- FL_load_norm_s 1)) (* 1.0625 (- 1 (/ 1 (+ 1 (* 16 FL_load_norm_s))))) (* (/ 1 y) (- 1 (/ 1 (+ 1 (* x (abs FL_load_norm_s))))))))
    (FR_load_norm_s (if (min 0 (- FR_load_norm_s 1)) (* 1.0625 (- 1 (/ 1 (+ 1 (* 16 FR_load_norm_s))))) (* (/ 1 y) (- 1 (/ 1 (+ 1 (* x (abs FR_load_norm_s))))))))
    (FL_load_norm (+ FL_load_norm_s (- FL_load_norm (smooth FL_load_norm 0.5))))
    (FR_load_norm (+ FR_load_norm_s (- FR_load_norm (smooth FR_load_norm 0.5))))

and then, for more force on cornering, adjust these 2:
    1) "power_steering_lfb" to 0.0
    2) "master_rack" to 1.10 or 1.20

18. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Rob,

It's only really adding a slight softening to the feel which DD wheel bases can use. Any belt already has some give in the belt, so I don't think it adds any value, most likely the opposite, since it will further delay the signal form hitting your hands slightly.

Best, -K

19. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I had already tried the power steering to 0, but was very heavy. I am trying different values to get it where I like it. I will try the others next time I am on.

20. Robbb74

Robbb74 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the explanation! I wouldn't ever have guessed this value had this meaning!

Any chance you can build in a routine, so every time a new file comes out, the clock in my office leaps forward to end-work-time?
    Asking this for a friend ;-)

• Funny Funny x 2