1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Tweaked the .48 HIGH file today, and although it was close to the .47, it provided those extra lines of code that did provide more flexibility in fine tuning. It's hard to imagine how the files could get much better at this point.
    True magic. Thanks to all involved!

P.S. I started doing all my set ups in Custom Race Mode, no practice or qualify, just straight to race, ESC and re-start to adjust.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

I would have thought so too, but now the truth is that v48 was actually a much bigger change, it just was too many things and it needed more time, so decided to post this small incremental improvement since it simply made it feel better.
    The big changes are now in V49 and will take a little while longer to finish and make work well. The hope is it will move it up another 2/3 of a full level. Then at some point soon there should be some more important stuff available to the custom file, being done by @Domagoj Lovric at Reiza, and that will make it possible to step it up even further, so hopefully we have at least 1 or 2 more full steps of clear improvements to be done very soon 8)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  3. Reiche

Reiche Member AMS2 Club Member

Do you guys usually stick to your previous settings when a new version is released or do you start to dial it in again from the beginning?

4. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Here's my tune early days of .48 so far.

im running quite low and lite gain and lfb
    25/20/30/5
    but should scale ok.
    decel feel was too strong and oversteer was to bias towards rotation for my liking before.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Panos Schoino

Panos Schoino New Member

Well, with the latest files, some tweaking is needed for each car but the ranges you have quoted should be fine. In any case you should experiment to see what is better for you.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Robbb74

Robbb74 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey Kuku,

Nice changes you made there! In het initial v48 I also had the feeling that the lightness of the wheel during braking was a bit overdone, but with your settings it's more in balance.

Grtz. Rob

7. Kuku Maddog

Do you mean tightness ?
    Because for me it was getting to tight or heavy under breaking and deceleration.

8. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Unfortunately there is not many other ways to "simulate" braking force on your car/body. On my DD1 the dec2_scale value is just about right, not sure how it feels on Thrustmasters etc.

But realistically, this might be the only way to make you feel the huge amount of force during braking. If you ever tried to brake fully with race/sports brakes, its one of the most accented sensations in a race car. As an example, F1 cars produce about twice as much G during heavy braking than during acceleration, almost as much as cornering. And its a bigger difference in a GT car.

9. Kuku Maddog

Comes down to how good your set up is, if I had a really rigid setup with a proper race seat and DD using a replica wheel etc, I might like more realistic weight, but the realities are I ( like a lot of peeps) am using a plastic wheel clamped or bolted in my case to a desk and sitting on a high backed office chair , meaning more bent elbows than ideal . So while I want the info, I can’t muscle the loads too much and don’t want to have plastic mechanicals of wheel under extreme load. I just have to accept it’s a bit of a toy and keep things light and informative.

10. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

F1 more than twice as much G under braking, up to 5g for that, acceleration G Is pretty low actually.

11. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Makes sense, i had t300 more than a year ago but never tried ams2 with it. it might be a good idea to lower these values for mid/low files i suppose. problem is its difficult to test all these various wheels and get them right.

12. Kuku Maddog

Low files for Logitech etc probably need higher, they traditionally have had weak feeling of kurbs and bumps with settings that feel fine on TM .
    TM wheel is very sensitive once the low forces are strong enough to be picked up by hand.

13. Dougdude9

Dougdude9 New Member

Hey all! So today is the day I'm going to purchase AMS2 and the Season pack. I'm coming primarily from PCars2.
    I have a T300. Should I stick to stock ffb and play with settings or do you highly recommend a custom ffb? If so, which one is considered best by experienced racers?... The Silver one?... which version?

If the silver one is the one to get, does it come with T300 instructions. Like how set control panel items and then some recommendations for in-game settings?

Thanks!
    Doug

14. Karsten Hvidberg

It really depends if you like the Default ffb, I think.
    If you like it when you drive it, then just don't think about the custom files.
    Yes, to some of us it feels much better, to others it does not & in the end you will start spending time on it instead of racing.
    The risk is that if you try a custom file, you might get "hooked" :)
    So, if you really dig the "Default", sound advice will be to steer clear of custom files.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dougdude9

Dougdude9 New Member

Thanks! I guess my concern is what is closest to being "right." Or maybe there is no "right." What I'm after though is what is going to give me the most information in the most accurate way so I can drive the car better.

Suppose I can try default for a bit and then maybe try the Silver. Is Silver the primary custom ffb for the T300?

16. Karsten Hvidberg

I would not advice which is primary or best as it's so different what people like. Also it depends if you happen to put the settings just right for any given file, as that makes a huge difference. So if you want a custom file to shine you will need to adjust the sliders until it feels the best to you, just like for Default, just that the slider settings will differ. You cannot just switch between them, you have to adjust finding your sweet spots :)
    Using Default first seems like the best approach. It will also take you time to even know how you expect each car and car type to feel. At first it will be chaos in your head, certainly for more than a few days too, at least I had no clue what I wanted myself until after some months.
    Then when you go try a custom file you will know pretty fast if that's better for you.

Reg. Silver Raw it is updated somewhat frequently and each update will require just a little adjusting again. For example v49 will be posted any minute now(it's done, last adjustments being fine tuned). This is fun for some of us FFB-junkies, but it becomes a thing in itself, to have a somewhat new experience with the same cars, most times somewhat improved sometimes some things go the wrong way, with every new iteration. It sometimes feels like getting a Tesla software upgrade :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  17. Dougdude9

Dougdude9 New Member

Thanks again. I'll try default for now. Ultimately what I'm after is what is going to give me the ability to drive the car on the edge... meaning if I start to lose it a bit, can I correctly tell and feel and be able to recover.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Karsten Hvidberg

So here we go again, v49 just posted, biggest change for a while. The stuff that was not quite ready for v48 is now all in:

* AGAIN PANOS & SHADAK has put in a lot of required time to adjust this. Thank you & again thanks for all feedback. This file should now cater for all, v31-likers & v44+-likers as well.
    * Tyre feel improved in general.
    * Tyre deformation added & tyre stretch improved & active for all files.
    * Balance replaced almost fully by yaw from the physics system. This has less lag/delay feel and the file now works a ton better for some cars that used to feel like super-tankers.
    * Tear effect added. Is an early very faint & fast scrub-like effect. It happens on the tyres actually tearing from the physics system.
    * Low/med/high files almost completely identical now.

It might be a little rough around a few edges as there are quite some changes compared to earlier version, so bear with it or go drive the Merc GT1 and you might forget anything is bad :)

Direct link: https://forum.reizastudios.com/attachments/silver-raw-6-6-5-49-zip.12728/

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. scrubjayfeather

scrubjayfeather New Member

49 is the best yet! Love the loading in the corners. Thank you for your hard work Karsten and company! The sim is getting amazing and this file is part of what sets it apart. Thank you so much!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Richard appleyard

Richard appleyard AKA Neworder

Just tryed 49 got say best yet t500 rs user highend file thks

• Like Like x 1