1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I’ve been playing around with it today off and on, and have come to the critical realisation that I’ve been looking at the centering value backwards, and it been the cause of many of the overpowering issues I’ve had in the recent past. so lowering it has helped me gain control of the counter steering forces .
    I haven’t quite finalised my tune, but I’ve increased master rack up a bit to 1.2 to fill the wheel a bit while running lower gain values. I’m pretty much not using much lfb now and no damper. I’m really just using gain and fx as strength control.
    I’ve set my relaxedness values at 1.0 and powersteer lfb at 0.2 and I’m getting some good consistency between cars.
    Had to turn scrub down to eliminate that knocking mid corner.
    All I’m looking to dial in now is some more turn in feel.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Ok, I hope to add a few more comments soon.
    Centering is also the only value different between low/med/high, apart from the tighten in the low file.
    I think maybe it can be set to 0.22 for them all, but I don't know for sure.
    Any feedback on that is very welcome.

3. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Maybe you guys could help..... I don’t have a DD wheel, I have the thrustmaster ts xw wheel. I tried your version 49 and it is sooooo light around the centre. Am I missing something here? Are these settings designed specifically for DD wheels?. I have reverted back to 31 as that version is absolutely top class with the ts xw

Version 31 is best for me still
    Baz

• Like Like x 1
  4. Karsten Hvidberg

It's not, no. Sounds like something might not be set up right? Or a setting is off in game or in the wheel base settings, possibly?
    Did you try turning up the Lfb?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  5. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

In game settings are....

Custom
    gain - 75
    Lfb - 50
    Fx - 50
    Damping - 1

6. Karsten Hvidberg

Ok, since v31 still feels best for some I will adopt some of the newer stuff to that file a day soon.
    But it's somewhat puzzling that v49 feels vague around center, if anybody figures out how that might be then def. post

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  7. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi guys, I have tuned the 48 file for my G920, I think it will be fine for the logitech wheels, this time I used some starting values in the game a little higher (I remind you that these wheels have only 2.5 Nm of force maximum released) and in any case specifically we have:
    Gain 70 (No more, otherwise Karsten's file have little room to scale and/or accent);
    LFB 80 (You can also try 50-60-70 with less damping, but at 80 with damping 50 it seems fuller and more consistent with almost all cars);
    FX 70 (If you like it, if it seems high you must consider that I have reduced some values of the file that gave peaks to 70 in the effects);
    Damping 50 (This voice is a little esoteric, but at 50 it seems to dampen and level any swings a little).

Now let's talk about the .48 file, the version chosen is always the LOW, but in it I have changed the following strings:

To balance the resistance and the center of the steering wheel:
    - "(center_full 1.4)" -------> Original 1.0
    - "(centering 0.4)" -------> Original 0.6
    - "(steering_resistance 0.08)" --------> Original 0.07

To make acceleration, deceleration and loss of grip less of a problem (given the low starting forces of Logitechs) I changed the following entries:
    - "(rear_grip_loss_feel 0.3)" -------> Original 0.07
    - "(front_slide_scale 0.2)" -------> Original 0.4
    - "(acc2_scale 0.8)" -------> Original 1.0
    - "(dec2_scale 0.4)" -------> Original 0.5

As for the road and the effects, I increased the scrub that was hardly noticeable, I slightly reduced the bumps and the suspensions that with high GAIN and LFB gave too much saturation even in the straight, and precisely:
    - "(large_track_bump_scale 0.25)" -------> Original 0.3
    - "(scrub_scale 0.5)" -------> Original 0.3
    - "(suspension_scale 0.8)" -------> Original 0.9

For me is the best at this time, I use these settings for almost all cars and tracks, only the few cars with a lot of oscillation or a lot of pendulum effect remain out of settings.

I wonder if there could be, as for high speed and downforce cars, something similar for high sway cars that progressively reduces the pendulum effect without creating gaps during the reduction :whistle: ... as always thanks a lot to Karsten and to the whole company!!! ;)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Stakanov

NOOOOOO .49 is out!!!! :p
    Back to work to re-tune ... :D;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Stakanov

The 49 is very different from the 48 ;)... it seems to me more connected to the wheels ... and then I see that you have added and removed a lot of code ... I have to understand, even here I am undecided on which base values to set the game .... maybe 70-50-70-10 because at 70-80-70-50 (like 48) it easily to clipping, but it remains a little vague in the resistance at the center ... where is "center_full"??
    The equivalent is "tyre_initial_resist" and the "tyre_resistance"??

And what's "tear_scale"??o_O

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Karsten Hvidberg

For a more full center there are:
    * tyre_friction
    * tyre_resistance
    * rack_friction

But they will also boost the cornering force, so then you might have to increase "power_steering_lfb".

"tear_scale" is the scale of a new tear effect. It feels just like the fast scrub, but it is used when the tyres still have grip, but are tearing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

.49 feels smooth, easier to catch slides, and a nice center balance. Seems like it has more peak limiting ranges, as nothing gets out of hand even when driving hard through tight corners. I’ll have to play with that “tear scale”, now that I know what it’s for.
    It also seems like there’s less tank slap, and also less oscillation around center when holding the wheel lightly.
    Nice work for all involved!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kuku Maddog

As of last run i had it down to 1.2 and quite like it. especially with the heavier tin tops.
    I feel like centering should be renamed self aligning torque to clarify.

i’ve also been reducing rack friction. because i want to be able to make quick back and forth corrections when balanced on the edge.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Karsten Hvidberg

You mean down to 0.2, I assume?

14. Kuku Maddog

increases in master rack
    and power steering seem to take away the vague central feel for me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kuku Maddog

down to 0.12 instead of 0.38
    .22 is still acts stronger than i want .
    I want to centre the wheel myself but just have the indication from feedback.

16. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

hang on so whats your aim exactly? Do you want no indication or do you want stronger center or do you want to correct it your self around center? Seems like even you dont know what you want tbh :)

Try to also play with yaw_scale, reducing it will lower the center torque.

17. Kuku Maddog

Yes Im planning tweaking that also, but unsure if it will result in loss of balance feel . but the centering self alignment pull seems to have more effects on friction.
    I’m trying to lower the friction or lower resistance to opening and closing the steering. belt wheels already have a bit of friction as it is.

Edit:
    As I feared, Reducing yaw scale made everything feel out of whack and I was over correcting everywhere

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Stakanov

Thanks Karsten ... I will try to increase this evening the "power_steering_lfb" ... in the old files I tried to increase it, but even just an increase from 0.1 to 0.2 would lead to a huge increase in the LFB ... I will try again and if it is too high I will try intermediate values like 0.11, 0.12, 0.13 etc ... ;)

However, now that I have used it a little more (I was probably mentally connected to the previous feeling of fullness with an LFB of 80), I confirm that everything is more connected to the wheels and more identifiable in the details, in the corners and in the sensations of rubber grip ... :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  19. AxisMagi

AxisMagi Member AMS2 Club Member

I think we are similar Kuku in trying to find a way to limit the counter steer forces that are pulling the wheel during a slide. I'd like to be able to counter steer without so much wheel feedback pulling on me while on the limit, but maintain a full center feeling in normal mid corner grip situations. Centering seems to deal with the amount of time lag rather than the amount of force itself. I've tried oversteer scale and yaw and it made things worse and didn't achieve what I'm looking for.

20. Kuku Maddog

try this draft tune.