1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to reliably pick an AI level for a close, hard race?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Shovas, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Shovas

Shovas Member

How do you pick an AI level that will give you a close, hard race without you crushing your opponents or having them crush you?

I often find myself wanting to run an AI race, not knowing what AI to select for an arbitrary track, picking 100, then running upwards of 20 laps on track in practice to get to my best, then seeing the AI are ahead or behind and then I have to exit, change the AI level, and see what the AI times are. Then I have to repeat that process to narrow down the AI level.

Then I get to qualifying and the times may be different there, too. So repeat exiting and changing AI level.

Then I get to the race and I may blow away the AI or they may blow me away. It never seems to be a positive experience. So repeat exiting and changing AI level.

But at this point it's so frustrating and so much work to find an AI level that represents my ability that I basically just give up.

At this point I'd rather just have rubber banding AI than what we currently have.

And to be clear this is not exclusive to this sim, it seems to be a problem for all sims.

Why can't we have auto calculated AI based on practice and/or qualifying times? Just set them to an AI level where their laptimes are +/- some percent of my best laptimes? I realize there are corner cases with that but I'm sure we could work out the kinks and have a much nicer system than we do now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

One way to do it is to simulate a practice session of for example 30 min and see what is the lap time of the top AI. Then compare with your own lap times and adjust. Other than that it is a bit trial and error. I usually start at 100 and see how it goes.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Shovas

Shovas Member

Thanks. That's exactly what I do do and as I progress through qualifying and race it's so random I never get a good quality race.

4. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

With the latest AI updates they've been spread out a bit more such that you'll probably have somebody to race with as long you start a ways back in the field.

I also find that small changes make a significant difference on where I might finish. So, I don't go from 90 to 95 in one shot.

Also, the appropriate AI vary based on car. For me I use 13 points higher for F3 cars than for GT3. Not sure if I'm just better at open wheel or if that's intrinsic to the sim

My last comment is that in AMS2, the "aggression" might better be labeled "predictability". Higher numbers make the race look like what you see on TV. Lower figures produce more chaos. Both are fun, but Ive found that moving that slider doesn't quite do what I originally expected.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It would be great if you could manually adjust AI settings from session to session. I find some tracks I do really well at and with the same AI settings I get brained at others. I think RF2 has a field spread options well, that would be neat as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Raceroom actually has a nice feature with the adaptive AI, you "just" have to drive many races with each car class against the AI to work correctly. However once you have done that it works quite good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Shovas

Shovas Member

I like their idea but wish it was faster and just responded immediately to a practice session.

They have the community doing some work providing primed data so that it doesn't take as long but it seems to me that should already be done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. F_B

I agree, it is not the fastest system but once it’s set up it is reliable.
    I don’t have any problem picking the right AI strength in Assetto Corsa though. If I choose something from 97-100% I’m fine, granted the track has a good ai-line. That works throughout many different car classes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The problem compared with other sims is that the AI lap times way too close to each other. 20 AI cars all lapping within 0.9 s of each other means that if you get it slightly wrong, you either breeze past them or get left behind. There is no middle ground.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Shovas

Shovas Member

On a similar thread on the ACC forums, I recalled I have had good experiences with iRacing's AI. So, I setup a 60 AI race at Brands Hatch, did a 10min race and loved it so much I reran the race and recorded it.

Here's the important AI settings:

[​IMG]

Here's the video, such a joy after the pain of the other sims:

Note that AC Content Manager allows settings flexibility like iRacing and may or may not have as good AI, I kind of doubt it. iRacing seems to have set a new bar for AI behaviour.

11. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

Can anyone else confirm this? If this is true Reiza needs to rename that slider immediately. I've left it on 100 since I got the game always wanting them to be as "aggressive" as possible assuming it meant that there would be more wheel to wheel action, overtaking etc.

Now you are saying that a lower "aggression" setting produces more "chaos"? What do you mean exactly?

12. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

By "chaos" I mean that at low AI settings you'll see GT1 or F1 cars going 3 wide into turns, running in the grass etc. There is still hard, side by side racing at higher AI levels, it's just more sane IME.

13. F_B

Yep, the Iracing AI is top notch. Unfortunately they don’t have all cars and tracks yet.

• Agree Agree x 1