1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi guys, I have tuned the 48 file for my G920, I think it will be fine for the logitech wheels, this time I used some starting values in the game a little higher (I remind you that these wheels have only 2.5 Nm of force maximum released) and in any case specifically we have:
    Gain 70 (No more, otherwise Karsten's file have little room to scale and/or accent);
    LFB 80 (You can also try 50-60-70 with less damping, but at 80 with damping 50 it seems fuller and more consistent with almost all cars);
    FX 70 (If you like it, if it seems high you must consider that I have reduced some values of the file that gave peaks to 70 in the effects);
    Damping 50 (This voice is a little esoteric, but at 50 it seems to dampen and level any swings a little).

Now let's talk about the .48 file, the version chosen is always the LOW, but in it I have changed the following strings:

To balance the resistance and the center of the steering wheel:
    - "(center_full 1.4)" -------> Original 1.0
    - "(centering 0.4)" -------> Original 0.6
    - "(steering_resistance 0.08)" --------> Original 0.07

To make acceleration, deceleration and loss of grip less of a problem (given the low starting forces of Logitechs) I changed the following entries:
    - "(rear_grip_loss_feel 0.3)" -------> Original 0.07
    - "(front_slide_scale 0.2)" -------> Original 0.4
    - "(acc2_scale 0.8)" -------> Original 1.0
    - "(dec2_scale 0.4)" -------> Original 0.5

As for the road and the effects, I increased the scrub that was hardly noticeable, I slightly reduced the bumps and the suspensions that with high GAIN and LFB gave too much saturation even in the straight, and precisely:
    - "(large_track_bump_scale 0.25)" -------> Original 0.3
    - "(scrub_scale 0.5)" -------> Original 0.3
    - "(suspension_scale 0.8)" -------> Original 0.9

For me is the best at this time, I use these settings for almost all cars and tracks, only the few cars with a lot of oscillation or a lot of pendulum effect remain out of settings.

I wonder if there could be, as for high speed and downforce cars, something similar for high sway cars that progressively reduces the pendulum effect without creating gaps during the reduction ... as always thanks a lot to Karsten and to the whole company!!! ;)

EDIT: Sorry I had to publish it in the forum of custom ffb files :D ... I was wrong but regardless I take this opportunity to request feedback from those who use Logitech steering wheels!!! ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

It would be awesome if we are able to create FFB profiles in game.
    I have a few ffb files but would love to import them as separate profiles(maybe a predetermined file name make this work) and can change in the game without quit and reopen the game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stakanov

I agree, for now, if I'm not mistaken, the Default and/or Custom profile is loaded at the start of the game ... it would be enough that the same was not loaded at startup, but after choosing the track and car, in this way you could perform the replacement on the fly during a game session without restarting it ... so currently if you need to change the file you have to do it by closing the game, replacing the file and restarting the game itself.

4. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Being that in the madness engine in pc2 , they had 3-4 different presets you could flick between, it may very well be possible to have custom 1,2,3.
    Though I think default is getting better slowly and the difference between the well tuned silver raw customs and default is a lot closer now .
    If default had some more sliders for choosing strength of road bumps and kerbs separately, and maybe some others like brake feel and lateral grip etc, I think it would be a whole lot more user friendly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stakanov

Yes it's true ... it would be much simpler ... ;)

6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

PC2 had a bunch of sliders called Tone, Volume etc. that sounded like you were working an 80's stereo system and didn't make any sense in the context of FFB.

Ideally, I would like to see sliders for controlling the relative strengths of:
    1. brake locking effects
    2. wheel slip effects
    3. longitudinal force scaling
    4. lateral force scaling
    5. vertical force scaling
    6. kerb effects
    7. understeer effects
    8. road surface effects
    9. engine rumble effects,
    in order of importance.

R3E has something similar plus a bunch of others that even the devs don't seem to know what they do, and it works well although it takes a while to get tuned. Then there is the need for all of these signals to actually be present in the FFB, which I am not sure about in AMS2.

7. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

In recent years, many players have become completely disgusted with having overly complex and confusing FFB settings. It's pretty easy to understand the reasons why (each title having it's own effect terminology) but, I agree that having access to more specific effect settings would be good for advanced users. If implemented in the UI, such settings need to be kept in an advanced section of the tuning menu (WARNING! Extreme player confusion and/or frustration may occur! If you can't handle the heat, please stay out of the kitchen!). :p:D

The trend away from complex FFB-tuning schemes has led to some developers simplifying the FFB settings to the level where we have almost no customization options at all (ACC, Dirt Rally 2, for example). :rolleyes:

At least in the case of AMS2, we have the option to use custom FFB effects (Custom Profiles) and tune to personal preference manually.

My suggestion would be to allow users to setup a few custom profiles, named by user choice, accessible from the game FFB settings menu. That serves as a form of ffb-effect access for the advanced users without encouraging the popular rebellion against having "too many FFB-effects".

8. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree AMS2 already has confusing menus, so adding more sliders should be taken with care. My favourite example is the Manual Pitstops -option (which should be called Manual Pitlane Control) that is hidden behind a broken scroll bar so that many players won't ever find it.

I believe part of the confusion arises when devs use confusing marketing terms to describe things instead of precise terms (ooh scary physics). If the user doesn't know what "lateral weight transfer" means, they probably should just stick to default profiles. For the more expert users, a tool tip should be provided in any case.

Ideally, tuned profiles for different wheelbases (let the community do this work if necessary) should be provided. There's just no way the same profile works for a G29 and a DD1.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

So I was sblasting Merc GT1. Boom No FFB. Changing from default to custom and back didnt work.

10. Chequers

Chequers New Member

Madness Tool - Custom FFB and Profile Manager

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

This "madness" is exactly what Reiza is working to avoid with a Default FFB profile that works for all cars. Which it does, quite nicely now. Alternately, some of the well-known custom files also work universally. No need to use more than one in my experience in AMS 2, but certainly a requirement to use many in PC 2.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Different experience here with PC2

jack spade custom FFB or SMS defaut immersive with some minor adjustments are working fine for all the cars I have driven in the game over last 4yrs

this forum Karsten custom FFB for PC2 seems giving good results overall as well

and there is a guy on PCARS forum named Popsracer who also developed a good variant from what I hear

My 2p

13. mist3rf0ur

mist3rf0ur Member

I have no problems keeping myself out of a spin and pushing limits quickly with the current FFB feel. I get a lot of detail. I quite like the direction Reiza is going with FFB. Keep refining guys!

For PC2, I have moved to Silver FFB. I like the feel. I used to use Christiaan's which was pretty great but Silver is just on another level. He's unlocked feel that just was not there before. I never had too much of an issue with keeping control on the cars on default, though. The FFB just lacked a lot of detail.

As for a lot of simplifying of FFB in sims over time... well, I can understand. Many want it to feel great to start with. I think great default settings based on the wheel currently connected are very important BUT allow some good customization in-game for those who want to fine tune.

A lot of people don't bother but I personally like to turn off settings and start working on them one at a time until it all feels good to me. The main issue with that is consistency of FFB feel throughout the car range. If they all feel good, you can feel confident in your settings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

is 110% vehicle gain the same as adding 10% to the AMS2 controller gain..?

15. Dean Ogurek

If the overall gain is 100% and you increase a per-car gain by 10%, then yes (110% total).

I'm not sure how the per-car increase is calculated when the overall gain is lower though. Percentage of overall gain or linear increase / decrease. It seems to be the latter.
    If my overall ffb-gain is 35% and I increase the per-car gain by 5%, the total is 40% for that car.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Stakanov

No ... the per-car gain is a % of your overall ffb-gain ... then if your overall is 100% and your per car is 110% then your final gain is 110 (100 x 110 / 100) ... if your overall is 35% and your per car is 120% then your final gain is 42,00% (35 x 120 / 100) ... in your example if your overall is 35% and per car is 105% then your final gain is 36,75% (35 x 105 / 100) NOT 40% ;)

If your overall is 35% and your per car is 5% (not 105%) then your final gain is 1,75% (35 x 5 / 100)
    If your overall is 35% and your per car is 105% then your final gain is 36,75% (35 x 105 / 100)

if your overall is 50% and you want go up to 100% you must set per car to 200% for obtain a final ffb of 100 (50 x 200 / 100) ;)
    if your overall is 50% and you want go down to 25% you must set per car to 50% for obtain a final ffb of 25 (50 x 50 / 100) ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dean Ogurek

Okay, then my theory of operation is flawed. In the end, the final percentage doesn't really matter to me, the resulting (per-car) force level at the wheel does. :)

18. Clippy2020

Clippy2020 New Member

Back after a break.
    T300 working good.
    100 in CP.
    in game 65/50/50/5.
    I still struggle with snappiness of the rear and feeling the grip limit.
    This game also punishes rough braking, where the weight shifts too quickly to the rear.
    Again because of lack of feel from the rears it is super hard to catch this sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Hi I just wanted to say that the default is great. I was a little unsure to start with, what having gone through so many profiles lately, more than 15, but a lot of those were good. Only ever minor adjustments to my thing.

But the default is again, last time maybe was july, really good again. Which is not saying anything too bad actually because obviously it takes time with development. And I always appreciate a whole raft of changes at once.

My settings are 75 in CPanel (edit used to be 100) for a tx, 68-90 in-game, then 50, 50, 50.

While people may think this is somehow me not bothering to change things, I totally prefer it like that. All settings seem to combine just nicely at those values. For cars prior to this and on custom I was tuning things down even when the control panel was 75. Now I leave basically all of them at 100 iirc I have not changed a thing.

It is true that I used custom high end on 75 cp and it was good with 100 in game, but with everything added and a lot of helpful advice and preference actually, I have gone back to the 68 value I used to use.

And in many ways I think now its back to 68 things have come full circle and a lot must be in balance.

Anyway its great driving! cool and thanks for getting it back.

Almost the same

Not sure why people have been saying 100 to us which is not default - after trying it for a few days I think I can safely understand why TM put it at 75. I do not really see the difference for belts overly much. It could be I did not turn it down enough in game but either way I think there's less hassle with clipping and whatnot, signal... but also its a good feel at 75 and 100 did not add much to the experience tbh.

An example may be set it to 100cp then 50 in game, then lower dampening, perhaps. May try that for extra fine detail maybe. The reason is dampening for me is 50 is because it gives you the big signals without the little signals getting in the way- maybe that all changes when its lighter and more detailed.

Only one way to find out!! Going to go 50, then 43 for gain, lower the better as per instructions in various places. I would think they know more than me about it.

I switch between custom and default. often with some suspension changes cars behave a lot better depending on track. and diff etc. default is getting toward silver raw, both are good.

the gt3 porsche for instance drives better with the custom I have found, while other cars with default, both work for all but maybe one is better depending.

edit: nope, for me I have now gone back to original control panel tx at 75 gain. in game still at 68. I do not mind a compressed signal I bet there is no difference in real signal fidelity etc/outcome of feel.

even dampening at maybe 58 is a better deal for a tx/300 perhaps because the file itself might be trying to do too much, and a more direct ratio of usable signal may be less is more. This is on the g58 ginetta p1 car. Its been great for ffb unlike the porsche gt3 maybe, for a long time.

But I am going to attest that custom version 48 is one of the best ever. There's less of a rubber feel with this custom file, hence while default is what I usually use.

But I do not think it is that - I put gain back to 100 for the custom, and default suffers no such thing - and the rubber feel is back, but custom 51 has this added steering effect on bigger turns it seems and it clips my wheel. I think its unnecessary. Its non linear in terms of game-controller. Which for me at least is a problem (im an idiot). When it works it really works well, but on some turns to me its a detriment.

And its not fully dialed in it seems, thus I only use default now.

After much testing I have determined yes 100cp value is stronger but not necessarily better in terms of usable control and feel. The signal can not become a higher quality - it is what it is - amplifying something is not always the answer.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  20. DaveC187

DaveC187 Member

Can anyone explain exactly what LFB and FX does or doesn't do? I recently changed my FFB settings from:
    FFB: 55
    LFB: 30
    FX: 15
    Damp: 0

to:
    FFB:65
    LFB:0
    FX:0
    Damp: 0

and FFB feels much better. Am I missing any feedback with LFB and FX at 0? I tried playing with these settings and the only difference I feel is stronger / exaggerated FB on road bumps and curbs. If I leave these at 0 do I lose certain feel?
    I have a CSL Elite 1.1 wheel base.