1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a more important racing mantra than "slow in, fast out?"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magnus, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

TL/DR
    Is there a mantra or pearl of racing wisdom that has either opened your eyes or made a bigger difference for your racing than the classic one above?

Background/Utter Guff

I'm finding my feet with sim racing and in some ways feel my progress is a little like that of AMS2, which has become the sim that I'm using to learn the basics. Somewhat in the belief that if the cars are as tricky to drive as some suggest it may prove a great place to learn.

I've just driven several laps at Imola in the 911 GTR3 in the TT mode, something I rarely do as I'm well aware I'm well down the pecking order, and found it to be a great mode to use to push myself in terms of learning the track. Using some telemetry I'm able to see where I'm losing time and where I'm gaining it, I also nabbed one of @steelreserv 's set-ups (thanks as always, another great setup for the community) to give myself a decent chance but the thing that appears to be making the most difference in bringing my times down is following the mantra in the title.

I'm kind of shocked at just how much difference it appears to be making, I've gone from page 19 with a 1:44.980 to page 8 (I think) with a 1:42.620. The telemetry is telling me I'm still lifting off in turns 6,11 and 13, missing the apex on turn 4 and not tracking out wide enough on the exit of turn 11 so I still need to work on my "slow in, fast out" but it really does need to be banged into the old noggin as it appears to be so true....

Is there a mantra or pearl of racing wisdom that has either opened your eyes or made a bigger difference for your racing than the classic one above?

• Like Like x 4
  2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

No mantra - because this is not about meditation.
    But a quite useable advice from the F1 legend Jackie Stewart when he was asked about the most important thing he has learned to get fast (and consistent) laptimes.

Never floor the throttle TOO EARLY exiting a corner.
    - but wait until you are able to keep the pedal down without having to ease off again.

ByTheWay: This is not a quotation :D but the essence of his advice.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If in a doubt... Flat out!

Well.. at last for Rallying. :D But imho, in rallying you need to drive defensive. If you go throttle all the way it's 100% sure you're gonna crash. So its better to drove slow, cause 'slow is smooth, and smooth is fast'. Its about finishing. It's an endurance race. Man vs nature, man vs time. If you crash it's over. The car needs to be in good shape the whole event long. Even the whole championship. If you hit something in stage 1, it can break your event in later stages. Like your engine stops working cause the radiator is dead after 6 stages.

Soo.. well yeah. Rallying. I love you.

ps. That's why I love RBR + NGP 6 so much. I need to drive more defensive. In Dirt Rally 1, 2, WRC etc etc I can just flat out. And if I hit something I can just continue my way. In RBR if I hit something it's over.

pps. Keep in mind Rallying in games like Dirt Rally, WRC, RBR are all somewhat hotlap-simulators. We can play the stages over and over again, so we can memorize every nook and canny, so the utlra super fast times you see on the leaderboards or online events are.... not how it is in real life. These drivers, like me, know where to brake, etc etc. It's totally unrealistic. Thats why Dirt 4 tried to overcome this with produceral track-generating but failed a lot cause the tiles and all that were to scarce. Often you would see the same corner 3 times in the same stage, etc. Perhaps someday a studio can make this even beter, so we can't memorize tracks anymore and have to really drive defensive, but fast and keep the car in a good shape. It's all about finishing, luck and some bravery, ofcourse.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

I have only watched rally on TV.
    But to the contrary of most track based motorsports I consider it way to dangerous.:rolleyes:
    I mean there is mostly no place for errors - like Oh man how has that tree got into our cabin? And has anybody seen my mouth? :whistle:

On most track based motorsports the drivers are ready to go closer to the limit - because they know there is (often) run off areas.;)

ByTheWay: I was told from a friend who had watched the Isle of Man TT race that because the track was on open roads then they often had to place the copses(stifs) of killed drivers in peoples backyards - to be collected after the race was over.:eek:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

This may be useful to those on here who complain about the lack of grip when they don't heed this fundamental racing advice.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Member

In terms of Sim racing, I think the biggest trap drivers get themselves into is trying to drive too many cars! Unless you're an alien who can hop into just about anything and be fast, it's better to concentrate on one car (or maybe two) and learn how to get the most out of the vehicle. Getting a good base setup is important, then adapting that set to different types of circuits is a great way to get an excellent understanding of the car, and getting comfortable with the vehicle. You will see a marked improvement in lap times, and consistency...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Marius H

Thats what I do as well in SP AI races. In MP public lobby's... yeah. Going be boring if I refuse to drive in GT3's, haha. My SP AI cars are: Caterham SL/620, Sprintcar and the F-trainer.

8. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If everything seems under control, you are not going fast enough!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Member

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. - Alain Prost

• Like Like x 2
  10. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

When I look fast I am not and when I look slow I am slow - F1Aussie.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Anything from the soundtrack of this classic
    Edit: removed video at the request of Marius, see below post
    (but the sound advice of listen carefully to your codriver still stands ;))

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Marius H

• Like Like x 3
  13. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well if you feel that strongly about it, I'll happily remove it. Interesting to find out the story behind it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Juan Manual Fangio:
    "To finish first, you must finish first."

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. VFX Pro

"No one wins the race by passing everyone else in the first corner" (except very few lucky bastards on rare occasions).

16. VFX Pro

I believe you got it slightly wrong... The real saying goes ""To finish first, you must first finish." ;)

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

yes, thanks:)

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. VFX Pro

LOL..you simply wanted to finish too fast :)

19. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

"Fast in, fast out!" :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

The message above has been sponsored by the Forza Gang.
    "Forza Gang - If wallriding isn't enough, use your adversaries."

• Funny Funny x 5