1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula-Retro drivability

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Damian Baldi, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Currently testing the Brabham at nords, also subject to sending you off when light or airbourne over crest. I dont run the Mc but I understand some of these issues are applicable to all retros to a greater or lesser degree. (diff issues devs are still adjusting) (hopefully):)
    Please try:NORDS for this setup Certainly in Brabham start here (may work on MC I not tried yet)
    lowest setting in roll bar f&r rear at least at zero
    Maximum r aero. start at 10 and work down till it becomes unstable again, then 1 click back upwards
    Tyres try 22.05 both ends Diff : coast 72-75 6 clutches.
    good place to start. BUT its for my style and has helped 1st jump!! still in progress and should help. tune from here to suit your styes
    Im online at Nords retro tonight and on 10 .15pm uk most nights join if u wish. I run some ai also to test @ 100-120/ 65-100 and to have a session that people can join if they wish.
    Edit turns
    lift off throttle earlier than you think you should and allow engine brake to have effect, gently apply throttle to exit then flat out fun
    Also gears and pre load, bump/rbound fiddling helps

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Maser V6

The off throttle lag to coast diff effect still apparent I just use similar/and same(trail brk) and other ways to mask it..

This to show effect also loses a chunk of time.
    I believe Ethan will confirm from RL what kind of off throttle the car has, and tyre grip/ type etc

Now doubt things have improved since op here inc rain racing that used to be tricky,and thanks to devs for that.
    Since my yesterdays brake pull to left test as brought to light by Coanda and TT test the grip issues I mentioned on other thread has me pondering. So will test more for more results.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  3. Maser V6

Hi Crimson
    From default tried with your suggestions as start.
    7 attempts still in the 47. sec My old time 46.11 and when set I cut short session but firmly believe a 45 was within reach, mine and Maxs ghost frankly were distracting as so close even 1 ghost.
    Setup for said time was stiff on springs dampers and had plenty room for improvement hence thoughts on 45.00 aero was 8
    with new test today starting from your setup and further tweeks 15 attempts and 1 time of 46.720. aero 4 . .aero tried down to 2-3-4 4 was usefull as rear could be rotated and compensate for loss of fn grip 3 was fun. but from 8 to 3 and just to compensate.
    In official TT thread it also confirms up to 8th March increase in speed from others so loss similar to Early March gains reflects on trend with latest tyre mod?.
    I will leave it for now. thanks again. for input

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Leaderboards overall will, as mentioned in the Dev-Blog i think, receive a reset anyway. Laptimes might differ, when a car receives changes of course.

5. Maser V6

Yes tt not really the thing just a test bed/indicator just checked discord for this weeks race , net even read all the post but :
    Koala63 — 03/16/2021
    "Patch 1.1.2.5 has just dropped. Includes further revision of Retro tyres. I reckon I'm about 1 second slower on historic Spielberg."
    Any how see how others also see it
    He also has miles in bt44,
    pretty sure he wont mind the cut and paste as its relevant

6. CrimsonEminence

Cars can become slower. Like stated, Leaderboards will be resetted anyway. It shouldn't bother us, though, because it's the same for everyone.^^

7. Maser V6

Could not agree more. as in same for all.
    tyres on car was better 2 weeks back, nothing in log to indicate why change. posts on low front grip ?who knows, this did not improve that. whatever devs do I live with and adapt as we all do. sometimes they undo something that clearly regressed a well intended change. Imo this is such, just a shame in this class given the now combined issues

Id much prefere an improvement to when ie change down at T3 bottom of the hill outer track, off briefly throttle and car respond immediatly and correctly rather off early and loose 6 yards for any engine brake effect at all or compensate with throttle and brake to mask elephant.
    Regression of car with tyres (clearly) just makes me wonder, and lets be honest for how long can one wonder! Dam thing worked briefly before.on /other diff.
    take away any compensation driving style and the car still fails by some margin on this imo and comparison.
    Edit
    Meantime this car C9 will keep me very happy unless that regresses (unlikely i hope)
    My appologie if sounding off its for sure not with yourself.
    I have immence Faith hence Im still hooked on sim atm.
    Thanks again.

8. CrimsonEminence

Most weaknesses are down to the car around the tires. (indicated also by setup changes on the right places, IMO)
    The tires themselves are actually reacting more gradually and won't kill you over slight crests and more abrupt situations. Like always, it's step by step...it will all come together.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Koala63

Koala63 Member

Yeah. Been putting big hours into the bt44. I'd been practicing immediately before the last patch dropped, getting consistent 1:36's at old Spielberg in race trim. I'd just got a pb of 1:35 when I stopped for a short break. Shortly after, less than an hour, I returned to the patch having dropped. Wow... Massive slowdown. Back to 1:37's and even 1:38s. Grip was gone where I had it only an hour earlier. I really felt it in the last turn in particular. Loving the Brabham, but it's exhausting, as for me, it requires constant aggression. If I get tired and ease-off for a moment, I'm straight back in understeer city and having a little picnic off in the daisys.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Maser V6

As a nipper I had a model of the Lotus 79, thought it just looked damned cool. It was, named by the press as the black beauty. So much can be written about this machine, I will leave it to wikipedia for those that are unfamiliar.

112_Team_Lotus_Type_79_verB_Full_Detail_MultiMedia_Model_Kit_38342.jpeg
    Now it's here.

Bravo Reiza. The Historic content of the game expands with the addition of the Retro Gen 2 cars.
    [​IMG]
    The recent update has not only improved the Retro 1 class, it has given us the JPS ground effect car that out of the box, can be driven and much enjoyment had. With a little tweek of diff settings (preload for me) the DFV cosworth powered beastie will run all the intended Historic tracks with ease and speed.
    The DFV power unit was around £15000 pounds back in the day and was a bargain, considering its performance against the bigger manufactures. The engine is legendary in its own right.

Perhaps the quickest way to see the car driven is with some of the many videos out there

How did the real car drive? though we don't this fabulous track in the sim yet we can see here that the car is no gt3 point and squirt on full gas with little consequence machine. Full throttle off the start in any DFV car will have you in trouble 1st and 2nd gear need respect. Driven with gusto this driver displays the skill and gusto and guts, to make the car dance.

@Eric Rowland Found this extract to add to the info and enjoy over coffee. (thanks Eric)
    Great story about Duncan and Mario and the 79.....

"Mario's become a good pal but it took a little while," he said. "We restored the car in 1999, and in 2000, Road & Track and John Lamm were putting together a cover story about the United States Grand Prix going to Indy. They wanted to get the last American driver, Mario, and his world championship car, which I had, and put them together for a photo shoot at Watkins Glen which was the traditional home of the USGP for so many years.

"I'd met Mario a few times before, but we didn't know each other all that well, so we get to Watkins Glen, put Mario in the car, and I said to him 'this must be fun for you,' and he gave me a deadpan look and said 'this is a job.' It was obvious he wasn't very happy to be there. I'd found out the car's previous owner had asked him to drive the car before and the setup was so bad, he got out after one lap, so there was a bad precedent already for us.

"He was a bit grumpy until we showed him the original setup sheet from Watkins in 1978 that we used and then he started to smile."

The photo shoot, held after a long offseason, was meant to be conducted at modest speeds. With the proper setup on the car, Andretti took the opportunity to get properly acquainted with his old friend.

"We spent some time getting the car dialed in to his liking, and once he was happy with it, he starts winding it up and you can hear how fast he's going," Dayton continued. "The track hadn't been used in months, so it was dusty and dirty, and Mario goes barreling down into Turn 1 with the ground effect tunnels kicking up huge clouds and by that time, one of the track supervisors made a beeline for our pits and told us to shut it down."

"The track guy said 'You're going too fast for a photo shoot. You'd need to have an ambulance here for safety if something happens.' Mario said, 'then go get me an ambulance…'"

Andretti continued lapping once the ambulance arrived and thanked Dayton for the experience afterwards.

"He said, 'Man, this is so fun, it's like dancing with an old date.'"

As Dayton recalls, it wasn't the final dance for Mario Andretti and the Lotus 79 chassis R4.

"Then a few years later at Long Beach, we were doing parade laps with the historic F1 cars," he said. "It was meant to put former F1 drivers in some the cars to do slow laps—really, it was just so they could wave to the fans. I was there with the 79 to drive and then Mario comes up and says 'do you have a helmet I can use?'

"So I give him my helmet and he was fifth in line of all the historic cars ready to go out on these slow demonstration laps. The cars ahead of him pull out of the pits at idle speed waving to the fans, and then it's his turn. Mario lights it up, leaves the pits in a big sideways burnout, and does five laps at full speed. He comes in, tosses me the helmet, and says, 'what are they going to do, throw me out?'"

The joy of driving the Lotus 79-DFV comes through in the sounds of his performance at Laguna Seca, and Dayton readily admits he's living a dream with every lap.

"We jumped the fence and I was standing on the grid at Watkins Glen in 1978 and was next to Mario's left-front tire as he climbed into this car," he said. "At that time, I thought I'd have a better chance being an astronaut landing on the moon than one day owning that car and driving it, much less getting to know Mario Andretti and calling him a friend."

If you have not tried the Retro class in AMS2 then I recommend the Lotus at: Interlagos Historic Outer ring, for an easy track to get a feel of the car, also Kayalami Historic, Hockenhein Historic, Silverstone Historic, without the Chicane, etc.
    Have fun

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  11. CrimsonEminence

Nice ressource!

Your link is a reply function instead of a forum post, btw. ^^'

When i first got my hands on this car in AMS2, i was really afraid...not gonna lie... (because of the initial impressions with the F-Retro G1 back then, when it was released)

Well...the first run was amazing already. Like plugging in a guitar amp, that is already delivering a great tone out of the box and doesn't make you do things wrong, if you know half decently, what you are doing. I'm a big fan of the DFV driven cars, i just like to drive and shift with this engine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Seems like low speed LSD behaviour is a bit better, albeit with some extreeme settings by default setup, esp. the 2 clutches in a real retro formula they would have worn out in couple laps. Anyway, there still seems to be quite a lot of understeer at higher speeds when you lift, even if you setup the LSD to be virtually non locking, it may also be a combination of low front grip/bite. But it was a step in the right direction and at least you can now turn into hairpins.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

double

14. Maser V6

Sorted thanks
    Its Come a long way as we know and may still not be at its best, tyres in this update have restored what previous lost. So happier here, and having a blast in the BT44 .
    Same here the Chainsaw on steriods powerband, of the unit is awesome.
    had 3 great online sessions last night. The last seeing @ramsay starting at the back and working through to top. great race and thanks to all who joined inc @SaxOhare @Redvaliant, @sparco ?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Well-Known Member

Great car. There is a noticeable drop off in downforce in slow speed corners, then a big uptick as the GE builds with speed. It's like two cars in one: an older 70s wing car and then this harsh, stiff, super grip aero car. One thing I noticed racing these last night was that dropping the wings down doesn't increase top speed. That's understandable on the front wing as many of these cars ran without front wings, but thought the rear would provide a speed boost on lower settings. I just lowered the gear ratios to get more speed - about 297kph in the genre car at Osterriechring. Maybe raising the cars a little will aid top speed...more testing needed.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Maser V6

Hi Shadak, Yes i agrree it reminds m what Ethan the real driver said about diff in RL.
    Hi Redvaliant Thanks for dropping into races it was fun and, look forward to running more over weekend.
    Yes I considered dropping wings but did not really have time to fiddle, setup I had worked at Kaya so was a little apprehensive to make a change for the worst. My setups suck anyhow, I just have a shedload of fun and am lazy to learn as a result. It would be nice to share some thoughts on setups here for the lesser experienced like me. I think their track specific (for me at least) Ratios made a big difference at Spielbergh H for me. `Lengthened 5th 3rd.
    Have fun, all, & maybe catch up in online test races
    We have an informal steam chat group for those interested so we can invite/ chat /setup sessions etc
    Lotus 79 has me hooked at the moment, and is great to run around in and learn.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Good idea!
    Let's remember Ronnie!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Maser V6

Short edit from online. 15 Laps with 2 AI at 105/100, 1 AI on pole.

Lost count of the wheel to wheel moments and passes these 2 had
    Black lotus Ramsaysg
    Red Sparco .
    Orange MV6, Blue yellow Saxohare

19. Daniel Gomez

Daniel Gomez New Member

Just wanted to show some love for Reiza on this. We had many up and downs with AMS2, but today, as a GP79 rFactor mod veteran (did all the mybroga 79 champs, using beta versions of the original tracks) and thousands of km driven on almost every car, I want to say..., this is fantastic. My chassis-memory reaction come back alive, I knew what to do instantly..., GE effects are amazing, little details on car driveability, like low speed grip being tricky, but completely sucked to the ground at high, car balance. Did an online 10 laps at historic Spa, with a couple of rainy laps in the middle and left with a big grin. Thanks, this is the north to follow. I just would put a little bit more FF, but maybe is my settings I need to tweak.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

I gave the 79 a shot and it's really predictable. A bizarre car to drive for sure, but that's why historic content is so much fun. Loads of throttle steering and it does also turn in with trail braking and if you sort of "chuck it in". But it never seems to go nuts, you can recover from brief oversteer with progressive feeling tires.

• Like Like x 1