1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I think AMS2 is becoming the go to sim for me

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jeff Scharpf, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In the mid 2000's I was playing F1 99-02 challenge and I found the F1 1975 mod, and I fell in love with it. Not being a true F1 fan back then, that mod introduced me to the 1970s era of F1. I was hooked :)..
    So now, in every sim I play, that seems to be the one thing I look for. At first I didn't think AMS2 would be right for me because it doesn't have the licenses for real team names from that era. I loaded up AC with the 1975 mod and thought this would be great. There are all the names.. Niki, James Hunt, etc.. ..I even downloaded all of the tracks of that era and they looked great!
    ...however..
    No matter what I try to do, there is no way to race with the AI in AC using these old tracks. Everything "looks" great.. but in every race, the AI just destroy each other eventually. Even using CM/CSP where they can force the AI back onto the track.. it becomes a joke.. the AI pit/crash/pit/crash.. some tracks are better than others but for the most part that is the story.. so yes I get to see all of the familiar real life drivers on the roster, but they are all DNF's LOL... So I end up replacing half of the "real" tracks with something built into AC just so I don't have wreckfests.. this is fine.. but it is no longer fully realistic anyway..
    So..
    AMS2.. I gotta say.. the 1970s cars.. wow..I don't have to go download them and make sure I don't have a buggy version... I don't have to tweak them.. they are just... already there in the vanilla game... and they look fabulous, sound fabulous, and handle great. For all of the complaints about AI (and I have some of my own), they are 1000 time better than most other games.. Ok... I don't get to see "Niki Lauda" in the roster... however, the feel and the sound of these 1970s era cars.. it blows me away...and they actually race each other very well!
    When it comes to the "sights and sounds" of 1970s era F1.. AMS2 has it right.. sure we don't see "Marlboro" .. but.. in the end does it really matter? I will race against 20 other drivers... and compete in the 1970s.. with AMS2 I already have so many tracks built in.. I can race the dangerous Osterring... and I can actually race Monaco without ALL of the AI stacking up in a pile at the pit exit and finishing the race with 0 laps :)..
    And the cars themselves look so much better. Sure maybe it's not a fair comparison. AMS2 is new.. AC with CM/CSP/SOL is still updated but the cockpits of the cars will never be as elegant as in AMS2. It's not really a fair comparison.
    In AC I have to jump through all kinds of hoops just to get the weather to change.. and it's not always crash free... AMS2 it is all built in... just there.. I haven't done anything with AMS2 other than drive it.. the other sims I have moved around so many files and tweaked so many things, checked so many boxes lol.. it is crazy...wondering if I will finish a race or some weird conflict will crash my game..
    and yet when I run AMS2.. it loads.. and I race.. so simple..
    Again, do I have issues with AMS2? Sure, the championship needs a little work.. I'm sure many things need to be tweaked.. but overall, this game is really... clean.. lol.. (weird choice of words, yah)...
    Anyway, I've decided that once custom championships come, I will try my hand at re-creating the 1975 F1 season. Sure I won't have all of the real names or tracks.. but I am confident the races will work, the AI will drive (and NOT all run straight into a wall on the first lap), and I will have a competitive series without having to search the internet for addons..
    Sorry for my rant :)..

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 5
  2. I Drive Demons

I Drive Demons Member

I have to agree, Assetto Corsa is a high bar of entry and all the Mods can get overwhelming. F1 2020 I can barely get a car around a turn cleanly. But the way single seaters are handled, in my opinion, is bar setting Formula work. For me it is the go to formula sim for someone that sucks at driving Formula cars. I hope more 93 tracks get made so I can remake my time in F1 beyond the limit (the 1993 season). Not all tracks are there as well.

3. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Try gen 2 v10s at Jerez. Use custom profile maybe. But default is good too. Heck of a time if thats the bar.

4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have not played any other sim in more than a month now and even before that was playing AMS2 more than any other. It has the potential to be the best Sim out there. The developers and the way they listen to the player base is exceptional. I am excited for the future of this sim.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Before we are getting too blind positive here then at least I think there are some of the older formula cars which drives completely poo.
    What I mean with completely poo is that they suddenly loose the rear (or sometimes the front) like no RL car has ever done.
    The only reason I dont get really irritated is because there are some of the newer formula cars (like F-Reiza) that drives absolutely phantastico convincing. :D

ByTheWay: Take this as "just" a personal comment - but I get more and more convinced that there is something weird in the pCars2/AMS2 tire model code which both make cars like F-Reiza phantactic and a lot of the archaic formula cars poo.:confused:

6. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The last feature which needs to be added imo is the possibility to edit AI driver names, skills, skins etc to tailor your own F1 season (be it 70s, 80s, 90s etc). That's all I need right now which is still missing but hopefully will come this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. F1Aussie

Hence I said the word "potential".

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It would be so cool if Reiza opened up the historical billboards (Marlboro, Fosters etc) to the skinners like they did with liveries.

I really like the way they’ve used pastiche brands like ‘Fasters’ and I understand why they chose that route, but it would be so great if skinners could make the authentic billboards, and apart from the work involved for Reiza to implement, I can’t see that it would cause any harm from a legal perspective.

9. BrunoB

Oh Jeff this mod was also my long time favorite.
    Those were the days - right?
    Maybe my brain have some bad mem blocks but didnt this mod include the famous Tyrell P34 6 wheeler?:eek:

ByTheWay: At least I can remember (mem blocks?) that in one sim I used when I was slightly young(er) there was a P34 with working 4x front wheels.
    Did you hear me Reiza? :p

tyrell 6wheel.jpg

10. kendoslow

kendoslow New Member AMS2 Club Member

Certainly I remember it being in a mod but I can't remember which. What I do remember is it really wasn't nice to drive.:)

11. BrunoB

Actually I thought my experience with the P34 was from the F1 Seven mod made by CRËW but googling it looks like I was wrong (mem block).
    But I still think it was in F1 Challenge - and to the opposite of you the car was great to drive.
    Seen in the context of F1C`s archaic physics.
    One thing I remember for sure is that I raised the seat position because it was sooo cool to watch the 4 small wheels working while as example cornering.

ByTheWay: The P34 had a lot of front grip :D

12. kendoslow

kendoslow New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm pretty sure I have a couple of F1C cd's with mods somewhere, I'll see if I can find them it might be on one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jeff Scharpf

I agree with everything here! Yes it was the F1 seven mod. I can't remember if the P34 was included in the 1975 mod, I don't remember it being there.
    One thing I remember about F1 99-02 is the announcer or spotter was awesome, and there was an option to put your own wav files in as names. Since most of the drivers in the F1 seven mod did not include this voice name, I recorded my voice saying names like "lele lombardi" lol..! I sounded really dumb and my wife would laugh when my voice popped up in the game and she hear me say something like "hans shtoook is going out!"
    Anyway years later I had the urge to try it, but lost my CD's. Someone had a binary version of the game and I wanted to try it, figuring I already paid. But unfortunately it didn't have any of the music or special sound effects and crashed too much to enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BrunoB

About 1 year back I was contacted by a guy (with a french name :D) who told me he more or less only used and specially modded F1C as his more or less personal racing game.
    He contacted me because I about 200 years back had made a telemetry tool for F1C.
    And he wanted to know if I had something left of the tool on my HD.
    I had forgot everything about it and had to say sorry but are you sure it was me?
    But because I have allways used the BrunoB name he told me he WAS sure.:confused:
    Afterwards I used some time to research if it was me.

ByTheWay: Thats the reason I used the mem block analogy :rolleyes:

15. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS 2 is my to go Sim. Its only lacking some stuff AMS 1 has, like towing and such. Both are great in different ways.

16. F1Aussie

To
    Towing? As in caravans...:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

@F1Aussie Like this:
    To the pits. Without graphics ofcourse. It would run a timer, you can tune your car and such, but you've to wait until the timer runs out then you can go back on the track again.

And some other sim-features.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jeff Scharpf

I always liked that feature, it made you pay if you wrecked (with time off of the practice clock).
    One thing I don't see in any of these modern sims is any caution that uses a safety or pace car. They were in games as old as nr2003, but I never see these come out to slow down the race if a wreck occurs. The cars all just go by and drive over wings and tires lol.. the race goes on :)

• Like Like x 1