Formula Trainer Tyres

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jason Pladoh, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Jason Pladoh

Jason Pladoh Member

Hello Peeps,

Been Playing with the formula trainer, won a couple of races @ Hockenheim Historic, 100/80 AI and generally enjoying the heck out of it. Certainly taught me a lot about throttle control and track positioning and braking.

But the tyres don't overheat, nor do they ware out, regardless of pressures or abuse.

My settings are Authentic, tyre ware on, fuel use on, damage full etc, no Assists.

Is this How it is with it being a Trainer car or is this a Bug?

On a side note, I'm losing time/Positions Accelerating out of slow corners due to wheel spin, no matter how much I feather the throttle. I've got a good stable setup, but this last part eludes me, as making the rear Stiffer/Softer or Adjusting tyre Pressures +/- from where they are just seems to Amplify the problem.

Thanx for reading

J

• Like Like x 1
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

The F-Trainer (not Advanced), like most junior/trainer open wheelers in real life, uses street tires--typically an ultra high performance summer-only tire that people would use on a road-going performance car. Even though these tires have terrible wear ratings compared to "normal" street tires, compared to most dedicated race tires, they are very hard and long-lasting. At one end of the extreme, a soft F1 tire lasts 100 km or less; a typical race tire might last several hundred km; these street tires might last 20,000 km...on a comparatively heavy road-going vehicle like a Miata or Camaro or Ferrari. Put them on a feather-weight open-wheeler and they will last even longer if it was regular road use. Since they are being pushed to the limit a lot of the time on a race track, they won't last as they would on the streets, but they will still have close to zero noticeable wear in a few hours-long session at the track.

The wheel spin coming out of corners is expected for a basic car with an open differential. Part of the "training" of using these cars is to learn how to modulate the throttle coming out of corners so as not to waste energy in wheel spinning and to get as much power into acceleration as possible. It's great to learn on the low-power Trainer because the more power the car has, the more difficult this task is. Don't try the Old Stock car...!

There are some adjustments that can help. You might be interested in this video about the Advanced Trainer (that has many more adjustments available):

There are many, many useful AMS 2 videos done by the same author on that channel, so check them out, too!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jason Pladoh

Jason Pladoh Member

Hi Marc,

Thank you for the very detailed reply, My mind is Put at rest. :)

I will definitely be checking out the YouTube channel.

Cheers
    J

• Like Like x 1
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

You're welcome!

If you really get comfortable in the regular Trainer, switching up to the Advanced is like driving a completely different car. You will notice the extra power (info in the UI in the game is wrong) and huge difference between the street tires and racing slicks. Then, after you get used to that, you will be ready for the F3 :)

I hope someday soon there will be a career progression area built into AMS 2. It doesn't have to be fancy, but just to help guide people into cars that they can actually drive/handle first before jumping into the most difficult race cars ever produced in the world history of racing (which we also have in the game).

If you like the Trainer, prior to jumping up to the Advanced, a side-step into the F-Vee is a good choice. Back in the olden days, we didn't have fancy sequential transmissions to make things so easy to shift. The F-Vee is an old-school trainer that will help if you ever want to be good at driving the older H-pattern F1 cars. If you don't care about those, and only want to drive modern open-wheelers, then not so important as all modern race cars abandoned H-pattern long ago.

The F-Vee is also good if you want to drive any closed-top H-pattern cars (many more of those to choose from). It is basically the most difficult to master due to it being a bit softly sprung, top-heavy and rear-biased all at the same time. If you can swing the Vee around corners without tripping yourself up in the brake zone and corner entry, literally every other H-pattern car will be a short learning process and seem easy by comparison. Hence why they call these "trainers."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1