1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"new" Windows 10 full screen/delays/ams2 bla bla bla

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Shadak, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I did this for other games in the past and today I noticed it happens in AMS2 as well.
    So Windows 10 Im not sure when it was, for whatever reason decided the games need a new full screen system, basically to "improve" alt-tabing with no downsides or whatever, but knowing microsoft you can bet there will be downsides. Anyway ... I noticed that my ingame car/wheel isnt 100% in synch with my physical wheel, so I turned the wheel+hands back on and noticed a tiny delay, not huge but when I moved my wheel real fuc/king quick, I could tell it was odd (I would estimate 50ms lag maybe?). Basically even a full screen setting in game is now a bordeless window sort of thing and that means GPU isnt 100% focusing on your game (haha i made a gpu joke).

So I went into the exe file (AMS2AVX.exe) properties and disabled the "full screen optimization". And what do you know ... suddenly the physical wheen was moving exactly in synch with the virtual one. There is still this weird feeling of front grip/bite in most AMS2 cars but this at least solves a little bit of Windows mumbo jumbo. Maybe its a common knowledge but maybe this helps others too :)

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Does this full screen "optimization" also happen in W7 or is it only the so much more advanced W10 that is able to greet us with such a service?

3. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Hi Shadak nice find I will check this end since I had/have ****load of issues with 10 as mentioned elswere. Now I keep updates on delay for a month at a time (not updated for 2 months and repeating delay works here) I have less issues, though not eliminated some strange stuff still happens.
    Pretty sure if I allow it to update more issues will return/reveal themselves and or new ones like yours.

4. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

The tick box is there in Win7 I believe but I dont think it has this "feature" :)

Regarding updates, its just hit and miss, I keep my Win10 on 1909 feature update as I read the 2004 one or whatever is the latest now is not very consistent with gaming and the HAGS features doesnt do that much, some game even hate it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Not sure if it has to do with it or not but some people reported that with the last Windows 10 update (April update) they experienced a small FPS drop. Could be related.

6. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

No thats unrelated, I did see that article and made sure I dont have those updates. This happens in other games too, its a "feature", some notice it some arent bothered.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I've also noticed if I turn on the virtual wheel to test and set the physical wheel to 45 degrees, alt+tab back and forth whilst not paused it is not aligned anymore on the return. It syncs once I puase and resume..

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  8. BrunoB

Not starting some pro/con W10 here - but has it been possible to control which socalled updates to W10 you would allow on your own PC.
    I mean I know you can delay Microsoft to change some W10 thing on your PC - but can you decide not only to delay but also NOT to recieve their W10 upd spam?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  9. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

(AMS2AVX.exe) properties and disabled the "full screen optimization"
    Does this need to be done on the other .exe file also? The AMS2.exe ?

10. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Im not sure if it depends on HW at all, try doing it on both but you could also check task manager to see which one is running when you play.

11. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

You can disable feature updates which Ive done. But for security and other updates, you would have to disable the services, and Win10 some times decides to re-enable them so its a bit unreliable. I still let it do the security updates but turned off the rest.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Peter Stefani

The Full Scale Opti disabled selected didn't seem to make any difference that I could see on my system.
    But I get four odd workings.
    1. If I run Borderless, then I can switch focus out of game to some other app, and AMS2 stays on screen, but paused of course.
    2. If I run Full Screen, then when I change focus out of game, AMS2 is minimized, and when I re-focus AMS2 again, it comes back, but after a brief black screen pause, then game is back.
    3. If I run Borderless, and PTT in Discord app, the keying function creates a small stutter in-game display.
    4. If I run Full Screen, and PTT in Discord app, there's no stuttering of display when keying PTT function.

No other SIM has this stutter from Discord PTT. ACC is AVX also, but this doesn't (PTT stutter) occur in that SIM.
    If anyone has a work-around, please inform. THX

13. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Yeah YMMV, i hate when the games arent in true fullscreen so i use it even for the peace of mind.
    The black screen before tabing back in means the game is in true full screen. With the optim. enabled, it still keeps a bit of "focus" on deskop so you get smoother alt-tab.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. BrunoB

OK thanks. Then its as it has allways been (IMO).
    You can do different things to keep (what I call MSs "spam") out of your PC - but by next updata MS dont really give a damn of what you have done. They are the king :D

15. Peter Stefani

Uh, weird as hit, today I'm still in Borderless mode and Discord does not make a stutter when activating PTT. I'm happy, but it's un-explainable.

16. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

acc isnt using AVX, and avx has nothing todo with ur issue anyways.

dunno what this fullscreen optimization is, but win 10 always had issues with input lag/render lag cuz u cant disable aero anymore ( u can but its a pain in the ass and breaks alot of things )
    i assume they are trying to find a balance between fullscreen and borderless without introducing alot of input lag.
    ever since i upgraded to win 10 i play games exclusively in fullscreen due to said input lag, and the half second blackscreen doesnt bother me too much tbh

heres a source of what avx is for anyone interested
    Advanced Vector Extensions - Wikipedia

• Informative Informative x 2