1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHERE IS LIFT OFF OVERSTEER????????????

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by florian ray, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Alex76

Alex76 Member AMS2 Club Member

There has clearly been an issue with 'sticky' diff locking with LSDs, that has been acknowledged by Reiza and has been improved in recent updates, but it is still there. Very noticeably in some cars, the Brabham BT46 for example, see the difference between 0 preload and even the lowest setting of 10N, the slightest bit of preload seems to result in the car behaving like it has a locked diff. Whereas the Lotus 79 diff seems to behave properly.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Cyteless

Cyteless New Member AMS2 Club Member

Porsche GT3 isn't a car I'd typically expect to see lift-off oversteer in, but you can dial it into the setup.

The first incident I think was definitely lift-off oversteer, the second one is a bit more borderline.

3. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Porsche 911 is certainly not a car that should have lift off oversteer in general. You can still dial it that way if you try hard but to what end? But like I wrote elsewhere: you can't win against ignorance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Cyteless

Cyteless New Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, I don't see the appeal. The car can drive really nicely without having weird oversteer characteristics. I wouldn't want to have to deal with that in a race longer than 10 minutes.

5. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

While I agree diffs in AMS2 are somewhat off since the beginning (a lot of work Reiza had put on it is a fact I think), I don't agree with GM AC or ACC have done it right, and per se AMS2 have it wrong.

I always thought LOO in AC is not right. If a default street tuned 911 IRL has the amount of LOO it has in AC, then a lot of rich people would have died just driving at twitchy roads.

As many simracers, I don't have IRL experience on race cars to tell if this or that driving game is accurate or not regarding LOO, but I experienced with two of my real life FWD cars on a real track that LOO is over rated and over exagerated on simracing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Never driven an actual gt3 car but LOO in ACC feels really, really well done imo.
    Really makes you feel the cars weight.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Synaks

Synaks Member

The 991 is rear engine rwd sports car, that is the formula for lots of lift off oversteer. Just because it has lots of fancy aero doesn't make that go away. It should have noticeable lift off oversteer.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Agreed. There's clearly been a lot of work on the diffs from the Reiza team. Do we know that the issues described in these videos are all caused by the diffs though? The 15 degree auto correct on slides? The bite,slide, bite behavior of the tires? The low speed understeer?

I'm sure some of it is related, but i'm not 100% convinced there isn't more beyond the diffs going on here. Pure speculation here, I have no inside knowledge though.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Ettore

A rear engine car with almost no rear diffuser and very little (by regulations) front diffuser is the car with less lift-off oversteer in the world. It's not voodoo it's vehicle dynamics and you can read about it in any college course books.
    What a Porsche has is an imbalance in weight vs downforce at the rear which you will see when you are going through the central section corners at high Gs and will give you advantage at corner exit.
    Furthermore, you can't have much of lift off oversteer when the front of a car is so light and tends to wash out by nature. The load transfer from the engine so far back is non existent.
    The above is why the Porsche in rear life is so bad at braking (although generally stable) and so good at exiting and why when it rains the car climbs the standings so quickly.
    Then if we want to talk about dreams instead of vehicle dynamics we can keep doing so.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Ettore

I would agree, but it is actually FAKE NEWS that you cannot induce that behavior in AMS2. I too don't really like too much oversteer (in facts I trashed a couple of races where my setup evolved into too much of it due to track temp changing) but that is my taste.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ettore

And I forgot the icing on the cake: GM testing liftoff oversteer with TC at 1% basically cutting the engine off 100% of the time while trying to see if the engine brake can induce liftoff oversteer. I mean SERIOUSLY????

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Synaks

Synaks Member

I'm not on here to support gm, but rather to convey my personal opinions on the game.

13. Kevin del Campo

From all the time ive spent in this game I cant recal one moment where I thought I need to take it easy on the throttle to avoid LOO.
    So I think he has a point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

Then I think it is time to rethink your setups.
    It does take quite some setup tinkering, but once set-up "correctly" the LOO is there.
    As I have set-up the formula trainer now I really have to stay off the throttle mid rotation. If not, i end up in the grass.

Before I set it up like this it felt like the car only wanted to go straight, but now it is much more nimble

15. Ettore

It is pretty much the same in all cars: setups go a very very long way in AMS2. You can almost have any car do one thing or the complete opposite if you want by tweaking the settings. Which IMHO says the physics although still not perfect is genuine and not pre-baked. And this is already something very refreshing in the sim racing landscape.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Aaron Green

Aaron Green Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure if @florian ray is still responding on here as I've only read the first few pages, if he wants a car with good lift off oversteer try the Sauber. I too used to get somewhat irritated by some of the game engines handling quirks (the rear end feeling like it was glued to the floor, almost to the point that it felt like I was driving with driving aids on) but the Group C cars are a blast in general, and in particular the Sauber being a handful. Can you supply any video footage or do a stream of some examples?

17. Kevin del Campo

Yeah well the problem is I wouldnt know where to start.
    Ive been simracing for years but apart from the basics I dont really have the time to dive into it and spend hours on making set ups for every car I want to drive.

I appreciate this aspect of simracing, but its just not really my thing, and I think many others with me.
    A simple sollution for this would be a reasonable base tune for each car or even a safe and agressive preset like Kunos have done in ACC.

I rather spend time improving my laptimes and racecraft through actual driving than spending it adjusting setups.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ettore

Youtube is a good place to start there is a gentleman who is producing many of them. The time trial setups you can download also are usually quite sharp too... It only takes about 5 minutes to grab any of those...

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Kevin del Campo

Going on yt to copy a setup for each specific track and each specific car, thats probably built around that specific youtubers driving style sounds very far from ideal. Ive tried this back in my PC2 days but I really feel this shouldnt be a thing for people to do.

If I can download TT setups that would make things a bit easier, still not ideal to drive on someone elses specific setup and I doubt they would be good for longer races. But I wouldnt mind trying those.
    Is it like in PC2 where you can download setups from the leaderboards?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  20. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Yes. Choose a time as your ghost, go to TT and then you should see the ghost driver's name slap bang in the middle of the menu once the track has loaded. It has a spanner icon (IIRC) which you can press to load the ghost's setup.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all ghosts have custom setups. I think there's also a spanner icon on the TT board next to times that used a custom. I really recommend that you pick steelreserv's if available, because that's Steelcast27 - the YouTube race setup guy. I understood that they shouldn't be crazy hotlap setups.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1