1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Monitor - Timing/Telemetry App

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Matus Celko, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

Hello everyone, SecondMonitor is an app I’ve been working on for some time, and it is mainly aimed for people with a spare monitor, which can be used to display information (so mainly 2 or 4 monitor setups).

At its core it is a live timing/car information application, but it offers other, complementary, functionality.
    SecondMonitor.png

Some notable functionality of the timing application:
    • Track Map – The application is able to automatically build track map of any track after you complete one valid timed lap
    • Predicted Lap Time – the timing grid can display predicted lap time, for all drivers, which is color colored if the lap is looking to be personal/session best. It can also display gap between current and best lap.
    • Tire Status – In addition to the standard stuff, like temperatures and wear, it is also showing the predicted wear at the end of session, and stint (when fuel tank is empty), which can be used to better manage your tires life, or during practice to check how hard your setup is no tires.
    • Fuel Calculator – The application is storing consumption for each track/car combination, so the more you play a car/track combination, the more precise the estimation will get.

Run in background functionality – This is the kind functionality you can take advantage off, even if you don’t have a spare monitor for the realtime stuff.

• Reports – If enabled in options, the application is able to create detailed excel reports after each session. A sample report can be seen here : Report_2021-04-21T17-27-58_StockCarV8_2021_Goiânia_Race.xlsx
    • SP Rating – This is aimed at SP folks. It is your usual rating, you might experience in MP, but adapted for SP experience. The app tracks your rating, and based on the selected simulator AI difficulty it will assign rating to AI opponents. After finishing the race, the app will change your rating based on your finishing position. It will also suggest optimal AI difficulty based on your rating.
    • Championship – The application offers a custom championship framework, which also contains templates for various IRL motorsport series, both current and historic. Also one aspect that might be of interest is, that you’re able to change classes during championship. So, let say you would like to run a stockcars championship, but would like to experience different time period throughout it, you can.
    • Telemetry Viewer – The application is able to capture telemetry, which can then be viewed in a dedicated viewer. While the viewer is little rough on the edges, the functionality is there, it just lacks the polish of payed app ;) So it is ideal for someone who wants to get their feet wet in telemetry. One interesting feature is that the app is able to capture basic telemetry from competing drivers as well, so you can really see where you’re losing time compared to other drivers.
    The app is available for download here : https://gitlab.com/winzarten/SecondMonitor/-/releases (download the topmost .msi)

Source code, as well as the wiki, is also available at gitlab

If you have any questions, just ask :)

• Like Like x 15
    • Winner Winner x 12
  2. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Hello. I love this little program of yours and use it all the time. I actually didn't notice that I could generate excel reports. Now that is quite awesome!

I'd love if (and whenever) you could add to your to do list the ability to rotate/zoom the track map as it often ends up in strange angles and the 90° rotation button doesn't really help to really maximise the size.

Keep up the great work, I check for updates every week to read every little addition. :D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

This looks like just what i’m after. I have a second aio pc next to my setup and would like to utilise it for telemetry instead of try to read a small tablet etc.
    Can this program be run on another system on network via UDP ?
    I do have the option of connecting it via Hdmi as a second monitor perhaps if not.

4. Shriukan

It does work with UDP so should also work remotely, but if there is Shared Memory exclusive telemetry data you won't have access to that :)
    Just be aware to have the transmission value high enough so as to not overload the network card or router and disconnect.

The value represents telemetry data sent every X frames so it is dependent on your FPS.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Kuku Maddog

think ive got it working and talking to other pc ok after following instructions.
    Wasn't sure what to do with assets download, so just copied into second monitor docs folder ?

Edit.
    This is just brilliant..

6. Matus Celko

Yeah, the ability to rotate the map other than 90 degrees is something I would like to do, but it is more complicated than swapping x and y axis, which the current rotation is :D

You don't need those assets, just the installation file is enough. The assets is just source code packet at the time of the release.
    And great that you got it working :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

I really love this app, use it every time I play AMS. Especially, the modularity of the screen is really nice.
    The only issue i have with it is that is doesn't show the inside and outside temperatures of the tire, but that could also be an issue with the game's engine.

8. Shriukan

That's cause Shared Memory doesn't output the info. But UDP Telemetry does so you can always turn it on and set it to 9 to have as small a network footprint as possible :)

Edit: UDP 9 at 60 fps would mean a telemetry packet every 150ms which for tyre temps is fine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I am also using the Telemetry. But sometimes after driving for several laps the data after loading the laps isn't shown. So I'm still struggling with the interface. Is there something like a guide or help-option?

10. Gringo

Gringo Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Matus,

Ive been using Second Monitor with AMS2 since I discovered it 8 months ago. SM is very stable and useful tool, thanks for your effort building it.
    One thing Ive noticed is that in the race result report there are missing lap times for the player car, and cars that finish later.
    In my example this 4 lap race was vs. AI, but Im 99% sure it happens to human players in online multi as well.
    The telemetry data collects all the laps, at least for the player car.

Why is that, if you know.

Cheers

Attached Files:

11. Matus Celko

Check in the options if the "log invalid lap" is checked. If not, then invalid laps are not loaded. If you have laps present, but the application is not loading the correctly, then please upload a log when it happes. (there is Logs tab in the settings). ;)

This behaviour is by choice. It is because various sims do different things once player crosses the finish line. In AMS 2, sometimes, the AI of following cars will go straight to pits, R3E (until very recently), just ended the sessions, ACC just stops counting completed laps for other drivers.. and in RF2 you cannot even tell the player has exited the session and is back in menu.

Because of this, the report is created at the moment the player crosses the finish line, from data before that happens. That is why the player, and all following drivers have one lap less. ;)

12. Matus Celko

There is the wiki : Home · Wiki · Matus Celko / SecondMonitor · GitLab
    But outside of that, there isn't much. As usuall, documentation is the archnemesis of a sw developer ;)

13. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks, I already saw it. I'm afraid that I need information on how to use the graphs and datapoints and use them for setup changes. Maybe somebody knows where I can find that information.

14. Kuku Maddog

Does anyone else find that sometimes when a online race session changes , it closes the app window?

it could just be a anomaly due to running it on a second pc .

15. Matus Celko

Please upload a log (there is a log tab in the settings) , that usually means that an error happened inside the app.

16. Shriukan

Quick question, @Matus Celko
    Maybe I misunderstood what it does, but I noticed the program has a setting to show camber. Does this work/show in AMS2? If yes, where?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Matus Celko

Currently it is little more than an a gimmick, that rotates the tyres icons to match to camber. In next version it should show a number over the icon.
    But it doesn't work for AMS 2 as it doesn't provide camber information.

18. Shriukan

Ah gotcha. Good to know. Time to pester the devs to add that to the telemetry then :p

Thank you :)

19. Alexandre Sene

Alexandre Sene Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I installed SM this weekend. I did a 2 hour race with it and I really liked the fuel calculation.I found it very simple and very good! Congratulations!

20. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes I love this piece of software

• Like Like x 1