PRC's surprising praise of AMS

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by alexandre fonseca, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexandre fonseca

alexandre fonseca Member AMS2 Club Member

The guy at Pretend Race Cars blog, as many know, is widely hated by sim developers and many users for his sarcastic style and no-BS attitude towards the industry (which I particularly enjoy), having been banned from several official forums – and even caused some trouble to Reiza a while ago. So, to my surprise, I found this in his very particular and extremely picky Sim Racing Buyers Guide and considered it worth posting here, as praise from this guy doesn't come easy:

"(...) one primary sim worth your time is basically anything released by Brazilian Developer Reiza Studios. Built using ISI’s trusted rFactor as a base, and brought up to modern standards via the use of community plug-ins and the work of talented 3D artists and physics editors, Stock Car Extreme/Automobilista is essentially the closest we’ll get to an HD Remake of the original rFactor – an already reputable game based on its physics engine and functionality alone. The game’s history has its roots firmly planted in the South American Stock Car Brasil touring car series, but Reiza have included a multitude of international cars to diversify the content list. (...) this is a game where you can sit down and learn how to drive seven totally different cars over seven days – and then do it all again next week. (...) If you’re even the least bit curious as to what a good racing sim looks like; a game you can point to and say “this is what a PC racing simulator is all about”, it’s Stock Car Extreme/Automobilista."

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

"no-BS attitude towards the industry"
    lol....

3. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Clickbait, 'nuff said

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thiago Izequiel

Thiago Izequiel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If someone (anyone) is always saying that particular products from a particular industry are "bad", it doesn't mean that IF he ever say something good about it for a change, his opinion is worth of value, or that we should consider it a big appraisal.

I'm just saying this because we, as consumers, are often being guided by negative opinions. And often, when we see someone who's always criticizing, we are leaded to believe that he or she is very exigent, and probably understands a lot of what he is saying. Which is not always true.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

He may project a no BS attitude but that's a load of BS unfortunately. He might not realize how much BS he spews but there's a lot of it. Every article becomes negative. Every positive event or release is a cause to be negative. Its a syndrome, or a marketing strategy.

I'm inclined to give him more credit than some though because he does praise some things. He praises Reiza as much as he praises anything and that to me seems to be a sign of some sense and reasonable thinking in there. I just wish he'd write more sensible stuff. I'd actually enjoy it.

Basically if the no BS attitude was paired with an actual lack of BS. Basically just read the first half of any article there. If there's anything good to be said its there. Everything after is the inevitable leap to condemnation.

6. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There's already way too much negativity in simracing without these guys piling it on so for that reason I don't ever visit that site.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. MarcG

It's beyond too late for this weasel to suck up to Reiza now, delete the bookmark and move on, eventually he'll fade away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. kmanitou81

kmanitou81 Guest

It's a fact that the sim "community" is very sensitive and throws praise at anything without much criticism, and that blog, although annoyingly trollish at times, goes against the current. If people read PRC more, instead of the advertisement that is virtualr, they'd have a better chance of forming a complete opinion, instead of just spending on things and convincing themselves they're happy afterwards.

The sad part is that his mostly honest views have allowed me to see how unprofessional, immature and rude people like Renato, Stefano and Ian Bell are. I know they're not trained to face the public, but if you're going to get this upset about a blog written by a very amateur local oval driver, there's something wrong with you. And accusing the community, insulting people who buy your products? Just disgusting.

What's funny is that people like me and the author of the blog have been saying that the added complexity of the rF2 physics/tires doesn't translate well to the experience, simply because the values and data don't all come together in an accurate simulation of the driving feel (you can tell with certain cars very easily), and getting virtually mobbed for it. Yet, Marcel was just very open about it without drama, citing that a lot of teams find it easier to use rF1 to this day.

But let's face it, Game Automobilista Extreme has been an ongoing quality rehash job that needs to end here so we can move on to something modern and amazing on all counts. Let's just hope the next step won't be another Raceroom.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MarcG

I've read enough of that ridiculously atrocious website to form an opinion that the chief "writer" (if you can call him that) feels the need to constantly point out flaws in Racing Sims to fuel his own ego, which is not very good for me and something I do not wish to read on a daily basis.
    Especially since the furore about the Models used in AMS which caused Reiza all amounts of headaches earlier this year...hence my reference to him "sucking up" to Reiza now, it's too late.
    For someone to go through life putting others down like this on a constant basis to glamour fame & fortune is simply wrong in my book, hence my decision not to click bait his site ever again, 'nuff said!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. kmanitou81

kmanitou81 Guest

If you don't realize that Reiza has been extremely lucky so far to not get obliterated like several mods over the past few years, you're as delusional as Renato. It's probably a good idea to keep Steam in offline mode in case you wake up with fewer cars.

As for sucking up, maybe you missed his piece on mocking Reiza's new ECU modelling efforts.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. David Dominguez

David Dominguez Member AMS2 Club Member

Rockstar Games must be delusional as well then.

12. Kevin Pheiffer

Kevin Pheiffer Owner of Shadowracingrsa

To each his own.
    We all have an opinion, even the people who find fault with just about everything. I respect your opinion and you are entitled to it...My advice? Don't drive the game!
    We all look for different things when playing sims and we all don't have the big rigs and monster graphic cards etc. we get by just having fun with what we've got. No harm in that.
    If you feel Automobilista is just an upgrade to GSC........then man, what an upgrade! Oh yes, and it's FREE if you had GSC to begin with.
    We all have a choice, like it or not, up to you, but, if you don't for some reason, don't drive it. Simple.

13. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

There, you said it yourself. How should anyone take someone like that seriously?

14. kmanitou81

kmanitou81 Guest

Why would you say that? Am I so magnificient that only perfection is good enough for me?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. kmanitou81

kmanitou81 Guest

They make an effort to build cars that suggest the originals without being 98% there. Big difference.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think there's any reason to keep this open. One person's truth is always another person's fabrication.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.