1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibility to set max FPS in menu

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by jamespoly86, May 17, 2021.

1. jamespoly86

jamespoly86 Member

I have a problem in certain menu with my NVIDIA 2080 that run 100% GPU.
    In Acc there is an option to limit FPS in menu.
    Nice to have in Automobilista 2.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Set the Nvidia profile Vsync option (the global or the dedicated one for AMS2, if avaiable) to Application Controled. Even when you then set Vsync to off in the AMS2 graphics setting, it will still limit your menu FPS to your monitor refresh, but running unrestricted in the 3D world of course.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

At least for my system this doesnt work.
    In the nVidia thing I set Vsync from Global(Off) to Let 3D game control it.
    I checked inside AMS2 that Vsync still was Off.
    Inside the menus I could easily see that the fps(Steam overlay) hovered around the normal 40-95 fps.
    And on track it was also what the fps had been before changing.
    So at least on my system this does not work.

ByTheWay: Just for the fun of it now I was experimenting a bit I tried for the first time in AMS2 to set Vsync ON. :rolleyes:
    Holy scheizze. Tearing all the way. I have never seen AMS2 so bad. But as I understand Vsync on should eliminate tearing - here it started it. And no it wasnt because my system cannot hold the 60 fps my monitor likes - steady.:whistle:

4. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Vsync on is always without tearing. If not, it's not activated. I don't play without it anything so I always wondered how anybody can play it.

5. BrunoB

OK but then I will try to set Vsync on in the driver + inside AMS2 to see if there is still the mentioned tearing.

ByTheWay: In most racing games included AMS2 I have allways set Vsync off because of the delay it introduce - and eventhough I can occacionly see light tearing then it has never been so severe as described above.

6. BrunoB

Just tested it as above: driver + AMS2 Vsync on.
    Terrible tearing.:whistle:

ByTheWay: Its easy to see that Vsync is enabled because the fps on track is 100% stable at 60 fps. While normally it hovers on track at about 70-95 fps.
    So no Vsync On here:rolleyes:

7. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Exactly. Hmmm, I am not sure what is your problem. I have 240 Hz monitor so vsync is not a problem to me. And Gsync too, so I can have fluctuations without problem.

Your behavior is strange. No VRR at all?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. BrunoB

Hehe its not MY behaviour - its my monitors or G-cards behaviour.

My own conclusion is ... Yeah I really dont have a reasonable conclusion.
    Because its more or less obvious that when I activate Vsync in both nVidia/driver and AMS2 then some kind of vSync IS actually activated (proof exactly 60 fps) - but then I have suddenly unplayable tearings.

Haha fortunately its not the end of the world because if I dont mess with this Vsync thing then I have both slightly higher fps and no tearings.;)

ByTheWay: Thinking about it then its strange that I have never seen tearing in either AMS2 or Raceroom or the other racing games I have used. Because when there IS tearing (like in this test) its absolutely no-go for my eyes and brain :eek:

9. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Yeah, but it's strange. Like you said, tearing is no-go. And you are right, if you have display's refresh, it should be activated. It's always about some tuning, because every engine is different and works differently with GPU settings. Sometimes I had a problem with Gsync and vsync because it didn't work together as it should.

My current setup for every game is vsync on as a default in Nvidia panel. VRR enabled too. And then I set my refresh to what I want. For AMS2 it's 120 and for AMS1 it's 240. No tearing at all and input lag should be OK because of VRR (if my refresh is not too low). And my monitor shows FPS so I can always check what is going on there.

10. BrunoB

This is not a conclusion - but when I said "its strange that I have never seen tearing" then I have suddenly began thinking if the reason for this is that Im running with some kind of semi "variable" Vsync.
    Or rather some kind of lucky communication between G-card and monitor.:D
    And no its absolutely not G-sync or the other AMD one - haha because my monitor is an ooold NEC Multisync 20WGX2 and my G-card is just a GTX 1060 6Gb.

ByTheWay: No I dont really believe in this lucky communication thing but as said something weird is supposedly happening both when I activate or deactivate Vsync. :p