1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrible performance in VR in rain and night conditions

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Alejandro Lopez, May 21, 2021.

1. Alejandro Lopez

Alejandro Lopez New Member

Hello, I am using the HP Reverb G2 headset and I literally have the best gaming PC of the market.

These are the PC specs:

- AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
    - Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM (4x8) 3600 mhz CL16
    - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
    - Corsair MP400 1TB

Well, I am getting terrible performance in the rain and night with some tracks.

I tried Jerez with P1 car (the orange one). It works fine in dry conditions, but as soon as you try night or rain, the FPS just get really bad. This problem looks like optimization, because if I go another track such as Brands Hatch, I am not getting bad performance in the night. The same for the rain, if I try Curitiba, it works perfect.

I also noticed unplayable rain fps with Ortona Kart 1 circuit and Monaco. Moreover, the main straight of Granja Viana is also giving me stuttering with 1 single kart on the track (me) in dry conditions.

I also tried a race with 1080p single screen in Monaco and my fps were about 80-95, something ridiculous for a 6900XT.

My settings are basically these ones:

I tried lowering the supersampling to 50% and also going to lowest settings, but still I am having a bad experience in the headset, with low fps.

The question is: what else can I do? I have an alien computer and I can't enjoy the game in VR, because this is just unacceptable for online leagues.

Is there something going on to fix these problems?

Regards.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 6
  2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Honestly I dont have clue what is wrong.
    But using some logic then your test with 1080p flat screen does show that there is some issue(s) with your system (settings).
    Because if you cannot reach hyper fps with your system - even without using your VR snow goggles (sorry :rolleyes:) - then I dont think Reiza is able to help you.

Not trying to be smart here - and I know its irritating - but that is at least my thinking.

ByTheWay: Check my ancient system - and I can tell you that even running Monaco I have no fps issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Alejandro Lopez

What I meant is that rain and Monaco are so bad optimized. Why? because in the same track (Monaco) and cars, but in dry, I get 160 fps more or less. AND, if you go to other track such as Interlagos, the FPS are just as expected for 1080p: 250-350 fps.

What this shows is that the content is not optimized, as it is giving so much different results between the different combos avaliable.

My system is working perfect. 370 fps in iRacing maxed out settings and 780 fps in Assetto Corsa high settings. Project CARS 2 is also working fine with the same graphic engine as this game.

The thing is... if you can't run rain and night in some tracks with the best possible PC in the market, what can make it work?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

If the reason is extremely bad rain optimization in AMS2 - as you does imply - then Im glad I dont feel the urge to get my virtual car wet in AMS2.
    I mean my ancient system will probably die. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alejandro Lopez

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

I can get 90fps on my Reverb G2 on ultra settings with my 3080/5600x in most conditions.
    But when it rains or gets dark I instantly lose performance as well.

It happens in ACC as well though its not as bad, seems multiple light sources is just an fps killer...

7. Alejandro Lopez

Could you share me your settings pls?

8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I'm getting bad performance also at night and rain in certain spots but with triples not VR.
    For my system when it happens my GPU is at 75% and CPU looks fairly evenly spread in the 40's, unlike in ACC when my CPU is struggling all cores/threads are pretty well 100.
    I agree it isn't all tracks, just some and only some parts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 2ndLastJedi

I took screen shots of some locations and syst6load also, will post back later when on PC.

10. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey Black Goku, how are you getting so many fps across the different games? Is this with low or high settings, testing with just you on track, normally around midday time etc?

11. 2ndLastJedi

20210520172953_1.jpg
    I just noticed my GPU load is 0% here :eek: yet clocks are 1886MHz @ 0.900Mv (my normal undervolt) ↓↓
    20210331140414_1.jpg

12. F1Aussie

Plenty of headroom for you to crank up your settings or add more screens then, lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. 2ndLastJedi

Who needs a 3080 when a 1080Ti can do 50 fps at 0% load :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. F1Aussie

Yep, good for a few more generations yet!

15. Alejandro Lopez

Maxed out settings.

I also tried F1 2020 and there I attach the results.

It's just the fact that this computer is able to do 4k 60 fps maxed out settings in most demanding games, so in these simracing games at 1080p it laughs, but that's not the case in the rain or night where there is a problem there with the game :D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. F1Aussie

My PC may be a wee bit faster than yours and I am a single screen user and in AMS2 tonight full grid of P1 starting on pole 2am start at spa and at the start if I look back at the rest of the field my fps dropped to 68fps. I cap my fps to 90 and at the start of the race it will be between 78-90 fps. I can't really compare to my other sims as I don't really run them at all now. Would be curious to see what fps you get on a replay, mine will drop to the low 50's at race start. Either AMS2 needs some optimisation or maybe you are expecting too much of it compared to other sims. AC is not really that demanding and neither is F1 2020.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Neil Rosson

Neil Rosson Member AMS2 Club Member

I think rain & night is more taxing as its simply harder to render. Same in every sim i use.

18. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

DirtRally 2.0 is another typical example for a game where the use of headlights and rain, due to reflections of the same and more reflections in general, have quite a performance impact.

19. Guilherme Bencke

Guilherme Bencke New Member

Same thing here. I have an RTX 3080 and a Ryzen 5900x, which runs AMS 2 really well overall in VR with a Valve Index, but my fps drops to 30 in a race with AI and heavy rain, even if I set everything to low, turn off AA and post-processing.

Any word from Reiza on the bad rain performance? It's kinda sad, because the madness engine represents rainy conditions better than any other engine out there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. arpego

arpego Member

I can confirm this on my system too. This situation didn't happens before last update (1.2.0), I could drive on night and rainy condition with some performance impact, but not almost a 75% FPS loss.

My specs:
    GPU 3080
    CPU Ryzen 3800x
    VR Pimax 5k Plus (Pitool 1.25, SS 100%=2680x3440)

AMS2:
    Everything low or disabled
    MSAA medium

Tested all combinations of this content in day light and night with clear and rainy wheather:
    Corvette C8R
    Porsche RSR
    Stockcar2021
    Interlagos
    Laguna Seca
    Suzuka
    Bathurst

Every time I tried rainy or night combination it had a FPS loss of ~5fps for each car, with 30 cars my average FPS drop to ~25fps. Same don't happens with clear weather on day light, keeping ~100fps on average.

[EDIT]
    Some more important info: the FPS loss is a lot worse if I am on pole, with all cars behind.. this happens with or without mirrors enabled. Perhaps it is something crashing with the occlusion and FoV, not hiding objects or not loading its LoDs correctly.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3