1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Timothy Collier

Timothy Collier New Member AMS2 Club Member

Just finished a 90-minute race at Daytona RC in VR. Found that 95 is the sweet spot for World Movement setting, as it lets the view stick with the car as it should, but helps with the shaky camera from the car bouncing.

2. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

I' ve struggled with horrible stuttering in VR with Automobilista2

Since I only have a 2070 super, I have to rely on motion smoothing which is almost always on during races. However, every now and then it starts stuttering specifically at certain locations. Using fpsVR I noticed that instead of keeping the game at 45fps it goes up to 51 for example, indicating that motion smoothing does not work anymore. So now I put motion smoothing on forced and the stuttering is fixed now,

This is with a HP Reverb G2. Anyone else have these issues?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Two things:

1) I was incorrect about World Movement, mine was on 50 (I thought it was already on 100) so that's why the car Tilts but the viewpoint didn't on the banking. Changing this back to 100 and I get the desired effect so alls good.

2) G-Force Effect; Now this doesn't work in VR (WMR/SteamVR) at all, tried 0, 50 & 100 and there is zero difference and no G-Forces applied. This is for sure an Option that VR users either use or don't, personally I like to have this effect as it adds to the acceleration & braking. No idea if this is a Bug and just not working or just hasn't been implemented for VR users, if the latter it would be a cool addition :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. RDG

RDG Active Member

Setting world movement to 100 did the trick, thank you :)

5. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I see that too, it's like it's 'forgetting' to stay at 45. I might force mine to 45 as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ScythieVR

ScythieVR New Member

Hello guys, love the new update and looks of it in VR, it's a big steps forward.

Nevertheless I noticed huge performance issues at night when racing with opponents. Specially when mid grid the impact is huge (40-50FPS). Starting last, with whole grid in front has no impact whatsoever but as soon as I gain some positions and there's traffic behind, the performance suffers badly.

As soon as the sun comes up and the lights goes out. The performance is great again.

System: 6900XT, 5800X, 32 GB

7. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Unfortunately a known issue! This is probably not very high on the agenda of fixing. I don't play night races anymore because of this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. ScythieVR

ScythieVR New Member

..this is a shame though.. Makes the whole idea of 24h races obsolete.. ☹️

9. MarcG

Dynamic Lights need a lot of power, 20+ visible cars all with dynamic headlights is asking a lot plus then the trackside lights, extra shadows etc etc.

I've requested this before but a good way to help performance would be to Limit the number of Visible Cars, that way you'd be cutting out a lot of the dynamic headlights, you'd still get a performance hit but it'll be less than with all cars visible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Although I get the best VR experience and performance in AMS2 compared to other sims there is still room for improvement.
    I hope Reiza will optimize the game further, implement DLSS support and in my case (Pimax headset) will bring a patch to support canted displays without the need of parallel projection (is also an FPS killer)….

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

i have alot of object pop-in since last update, where u come around a corner, and quite a bit after u already came onto the straight, u suddenly see advertisment banners or other objects pop in

12. MarcG

I noticed that too but wondering if it's linked to Track Detail in the settings? (if such an option exists, not at PC).

13. ScythieVR

ScythieVR New Member

Yes true, unfortunately it's not possible to set the number of visible cars..

..strange thing is, performance is much worse when the lights are coming from behind.. With the grid in front the performance is still good

14. MarcG

Hence it's a Wish to have that option.

The reason it's worse with cars behind is because the headlights are projecting into your cockpit, therefore more shadows and dynamic lights bouncing off more surfaces. When you're at the back you don't have that, so therefore better performance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Every cloud, as they say...

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. ScythieVR

ScythieVR New Member

It does make sense of course.. Thank you for the explanation. However would be nice to have an option to switch off this effects inside the cockpit entirely, since not even a high end grafic card can handle it in VR.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

It may be a temporary issue related to optimization, or lack thereof.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Today I suddenly noticed many tracks have awful stuttering despite my GPU at 60% This is with motion smoothing enabled. Suddenly the FPS drops below 45 for some seconds. This is specifically for all Brazilian tracks. I think I'm done with the game for some time. VR just does not seem to work well for me and it is hugely frustrating.

For some reason the new tracks don't seem to have this, like spa and nurburgring, but Bathurst does have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Just to update on this in case anyone has the same issue - it’s sorted now. I seem to have accidentally adjusted the new field of view modifier option in steam vr, which AMS2 didn’t like at all. Reset all to defaults and problem solved.
    Then spent a couple of hours tinkering with different settings with the Reverb G2 and ultimately landed on 60hz mode for AMS2 with basically everything on low. Just gives the best balance of clarity and performance for me. 60hz is a bit jarring in Steam VR/WMR portal etc, but honestly feel it’s fine when racing. No idea if it’s at all possible, but would be great if they could implement a middle option, say 75hz. Also got fingers crossed for DLSS to make an appearance. Reports from the No Man’s Sky implementation suggest about a 10% boost in VR frames, which isn’t mind-blowing but nothing to sniff at either.

20. ScythieVR

ScythieVR New Member

I really hope so! After some testing today I experienced lots of performance issues (especially with new tracks), not only at night time.. As much as I like the new wether system, the performance impact is so huge, I can't enjoy the game at the moment..