1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jimmy's latest AMS2 review

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by farcar, Jun 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

No, he really isn’t - ask actual professional racing drivers for feedback (and we do that often), and you’ll get a range of opinions from “it’s perfect” to “it’s nothing like the real thing” to “racing sims are completely pointless”. Racing drivers are people, not oracles - you get more valuable info out of engineers.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    • Like x 13
    • Agree x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

It's funny, I recently pulled up a metric sh1t ton of abusive, insulting posts too. Autism, disabilities, mental illnesses and general belittling/personal attacks.

Some recent ones...
    Nice. Really nice. Not offensive at all...
    Yep, the insults and belittling is for the good of the other guy. And I'm the queen of England. Again, not offensive at all...
    Who is this clown to tell people of all manner of nationalities, races, religion how to spell their own name?
    The one attempting to 'brow beat' around here is the one that's insulting others time and time again, and then making out he's doing it for the good of said people. Insinuating that people have 'issues' and/or 'disabilities' along the way. Disgraceful.
    Even with the recent contradictory postings of files and seeking of grandiose attention, has done nothing compared to what KuKu has contributed. But then why would he? He thinks it's forum hogging, boring, even autistic.
    Yeah...It was all his doing that brought KuKu to make his post (One of over 200 in the FFB topic alone.) Sure. Slow clap for him. Hope he pats himself on the back, carefully...as he doesn't seem to have a spine.
    What even is this response? Who the f*** does he think he is?
    Definitely not a Narcissist.:rolleyes:
    There are countless other examples of this members insults, often suggesting disability and mental issues.
    If I get a ban for this, then so be it. I will not let bullies and narcissists slide.

The guy is a prick, blocked him long ago.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Sh!t :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Yup....
    Things have gotten quite bad over the last few months. Not sure why though. Maybe its the increasing temperatures getting to people head? Not sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Laurie Howard

Laurie Howard New Member

[​IMG]
    If you think these sim racing physics feel a little hit and miss you'll hate these real life physics, they completely f'd, someone needs a word with the developers!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Active Member

saying this is bad would be a massive understatement. I'm with you bro, don't let these people put you down

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. SoloWingX

SoloWingX New Member

On one hand I see the point that if a content creator has a huge following and provides a kind of negative "review" (it wasn't a review, I know) it has a bigger effect if a random guy posts it on the internet. But if the content creator starts singing "everything is awesomeee" at everything, they lose credibility. He said what he does not like, he said what he likes. He criticised based on his sim/IRL experience, but also said that it is one of the most immersive experiences currently in certain aspects. Each community has toxicity, including the fanbase of Jimmer (which he pretty much condemns), also including the AMS2 fanbase (which we are actually seeing in this thread). He said he tried stuff, prepared for the video, etc. If he didn't like it, he didn't like it. It's not the first sim, probably not the last either. I share the same opinion about AMS2 as he presented. It looks awesome, runs awesome, has awesome content, but the driving feels somewhat off. I don't need to look at telemetry to say it feels off. And even if telemetry shows no issues in particular, if will keep feeling off. Same situation when Ermin made the video about rFactor 2 setups. Part of the ->include racing game<- community just cannot take any criticism. They attack, part the "other" community attacks back, and it's all pointing fingers from there on.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Hey at least those are 3D trees!!!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]

Another proof of wrong real life physics.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

As I said I am fine if he doesn't like it and I am fine if this is something can help development too...

But even if you did all good on your stream you shouldn't forget you are also responsible of your community (as every community owner/admin) so when you are the first one talking about the others like "fanboys" you are basically putting fire on the topic and all the bad guys on your community will feel entitled to start a crusade towards the so called fanboys...

This is why I think it is done on purpose, YTbers just start a fire so people will come, no matter if they fight each other, they need clicks after all...

To be honest I don't see too many fanboys here, I think we are all complaining about wath is happening lately on simracing related media (but can be applied on general topics too) an escalation on toxicity and looks like AMS2 is the one which offer them the best opportunity since there is already a prejudice....being based on same engine as PC2...
    (It is so easy to move all the bad feelings from PC2 to AMS2, just say it is a clone or there are quirks of PC2 on it and the haters will come as flies on sugar)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Renato Simioni

I´ve refrained from commenting on the contents of these and other similar videos so far as usually nothing good comes out of it, but it´s coming to a point nothing good comes out of letting it stand unchallenged either so here are some thoughts.

On the surface, there´s nothing wrong with Jimmy´s video, the latest or previous ones, per se - they´re perfectly valid opinion pieces, they´re not even exclusively negative and some are even more positive than negative. But throughout the videos and other social media interactions you find the common theme where he thinks - defends even - that AMS2 isn´t really to be taken seriously or attempting to be serious, and that is both damaging if done on a regular basis, and nonsense - and it´s clearly a treatment that is reserved for AMS2 for whatever reason, as other games he doesn´t enjoy don´t seem to feature his regular programme the way AMS2 does.

Jimmy asked for a review copy to review the game - he got it, he reviewed it, didn´t like it, fair enough - that´s how it goes sometimes. Then he revisited it, to similar conclusions. Then again, and again, and with all his AMS2 videos getting fairly good ratings even relatively to his own content in other topics, and we´re now into this dynamic where the guy along with a few sidekicks are exploiting a product from a small business to spin their Youtube machines and undermining it repeatedly in the process, and that´s not really cool.

Unfortunately one of the problems with this youtuber / influencer culture is that some of them feel they´re entitled to do and say whatever they want about anything, and then get all fidgety when there is a hint of backlash. If you´re doing numerous videos where the underlying message is that a certain game isn´t credible or isn´t as good as some (not even a large group) thinks, at the same time you´re happy to plug big console franchises without applying anywhere close to the same criterias, well that is a bit rich and people are going to start to see a problem with it.

I don´t think he has any intention to do harm, but he also has little concern about the repercussions of what he´s doing and seems happy to have the game be fodder for extra clicks, and that´s problematic. I´ve reached him to try put that point accross, but I´m not sure it was succesful.

To be clear this has nothing to do with trying to suppress negative reviews - those come with the territory. But this has evolved into a toxic ongoing dynamic which is growing a bit tiresome - if he thinks AMS2 "fanboys" are a pain, he should consider there are far more groupies on his corner and that he´s the one in position to give it all a rest and move on.

• Agree x 20
    • Like x 8
    • Winner x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
  12. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

Sometimes the truth hurts, and the first step to fixing a problem is admitting that there is a problem.

The latest version is undoubtedly the best so far, and I can see why some who've knocked it in the past are coming around. Even I'm playing it more, but I can see why some still don't like it, because it can still feels a little strange, and some cars feel great and others less so, and I have more of those "why did that happen?!" moments than in any other racing game. The brakes used to be very grabby, but now they're feeling a bit better. The walking speed spin seems less prevalent, but it's still there. The handling on and off the power still feels unintuitive. I feel like it's taking baby steps towards where (I think) it needs to be, and I don't know whether that's due to criticism not being heard because it's being squashed by people who think it's perfect already or whether it's just a damned difficult task to perfect it. Like Renato said, you can't even trust racing driver's opinions, so who can you trust (I know, engineers!).

I just hope it keeps improving and gets to the point where even the current detractors like it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SoloWingX

SoloWingX New Member

AMS2 gets more videos of this type probably because it's the only sim that is under development that cannot be compared to a snail's pace. Kudos to that.

Reiza however needs to learn that first impressions, and second, third, tenth first impressions matter. If you release a 1.0 way before it should be called 1.0, while after a year or so certain cars still have default setups consisting of "1"s on the setup screen, well...

@DaVeX I don't think AMS2 is being compared to PC2 because it runs on Madness. It is because people who played and loved Game Stock Car, Stock Car Extreme, AMS like myself, feel that Reiza already made a pretty damn good sim, among the best even. Hard to not make comparisons in that case. Some cars feel awesome, some don't. Well where did I have the exact same experience? On a side note, too bad I cannot set up any anti-aliasing on AMS with an AMD GPU :/

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Renato Simioni

We´re not talking about v1.0 reviews or Early Access reviews tho - and frankly I´m not sure trying a car/track combo and drawing fast conclusions as you do even qualifies as a review, it´s more a superficial take to fill up another video.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SoloWingX

SoloWingX New Member

Releasing videos when new content/update is dropped is literally what every content creator does? Well if one said they did not like something in a previous version of the sim, isn't it natural to say what they feel after the update dropped?

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

Ah okay interesting. Sorry maybe my point was a bit confusing. I wasnt so much suggesting that he's some sort of oracle - okay so lets put aside the biases or pre-conceptions that Jimmy has and lets just instead say a hypothetical person 'X' who has a long history of playing many different driving sims, racing mx5's and now prototypes, isnt that someone in theory who would be well placed to offer an opinion of how 'realistic' a game felt? Not obviously the only opinion that matters, but someone who has a fair bit of track experience and who is also able to compare that against experience of what sims can and can't do, in theory thats someone who'd be well placed to give opinions?

17. Laurie Howard

Laurie Howard New Member

Youtube is a clicks game. Anyone with a following of that size has 100% understood this and knows how to play the game. Doing so at the expense of the business and livelihood of a small group of passionate people isn't on.

I run a music YouTube channel and get few views because I'm doing it for my enjoyment and to share my music. I could get lots of views if I played the click game. Especially the hate/bashing game, negative stuff gets tons more attention than positive or neutral stuff.

For me YT has an ethics issue and Jimma is just an example of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Absolutely, but as Renato pointed out - drawing conclusions from a single track/car combo about the overall title with gazilion of combination does. It's not a binary choice - good or bad as we both know some combinations are rock solid, some less so.

If you're reviewing update alone, not the game overall then that's obvious that the focus will be on fresh content only.

It's like trying to judge Lamborghini brand on tractors alone.

19. SoloWingX

SoloWingX New Member

This is going really into semantics. As a viewer I want to know if the new DLC content is good and whether the product which is know to be a long term support/development product is improved. Well I bought AMS2 when it released so I can see for myself, but from a pragmatic point of view I don't see what was unethical or however one wants to call it. Maybe if non rock solid content wasn't released these issues wouldn't exist? If the business models however counts with that, it is a risk the developer takes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

lol great word - pragmatism. You know Jimbo is full of sheeet. don't you - its not a video that was meant to be extrapolated out and held up to massive scrutiny. renato is right. its just an opinion - jimmy is right but its not the end of the earth. you know the guy said he had to go and set up a real life car the other day.

yeh its semantics - its modern day pussy boy culture, too - just CALL it what it is lol. and its ok to say it, and own it, and whatever. Why does it always have to feel nice and cuddly and wonderful and rainbows whenever it comes to anything.

He just had to set up a race car - but doesn't want to do it in game. He's not being a pussy what I am saying its internet boy culture to not call that out. A generation of 'men' I am finding raised by only their mothers or something I don't know. cant they call it out on his page? do they even care? no...

I mean, well maybe no one is paying attention. I just watched it for the video it was. I was hardly paying attention but now you mention it.

As for the game, they're making bank on it surely. Its fine. So what it didn't sell 30 million. Big deal. For his part he did try to not make it into a big deal wearing slippers (which many took for him saying it was 'too easy' or something) saying it was just an opinion. I get it people see it and wonder did he just mean that he would say 'with all due respect...' then proceed to disrespect?

its only a video. He seems to want a game that doesn't require setups. So, like, thats his preference? fine. I like RTS games where I don't have to make too many decisions! lol people like that 'win' in this sim's world view when you let the opinion get to you. One can take his opinion any way they like. You could say he even warned people lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.