1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jimmy's latest AMS2 review

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by farcar, Jun 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Jump-in-and-drive videos following updates are not really reviews, at most it´s a collection of first, superficial impressions. That in itself is fair enough - I personally find that approach leads to very shallow content and is part of what is wrong with this dynamic because it´s not about actually evaluating the game, more about getting a quick take on some fresh content out soon while there is interest in it - which is another way of saying it´s for the youtuber´s own personal interest, and if that´s to the product´s detriment then tough luck.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

Why doesn't it look good?
    I do agree with your assessment of ACC. People do always use this. But ACC was already good from the beginning it just had minor things. It was fully playable. It is just used because AMS2 is a long term project and it is taking a long time till it is fully right. ACC physics has been pretty consistent and also has much fewer bugs.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yup, I kind of agree with you and I think you see where I'm coming from as well.

The huge risk with influential people is that they can do a lot good but also a lot of damage. When someone titles a video "AMS2 is the hype real?" you'd expect a bit more thorough review of possible options. There's no indication of focusing on latest content only, literally one car on a single track without even trying anything else. This is how the harm was done and that's my problem with such half-arsed "reviews".

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

OH. MY GOD. You do nothing. People will talk, man. They just do. If its in the news and its bad, they will talk, if its good, they will talk. You do nothing - and while you try to keep the game-face positive and whatnot, work hard, you don't belittle the guy for saying what he pleases.

Cut it out please lol - seriously, when the time comes for you to make a video - won't you like it if we just let you speak. Some of the country's you guys may live in are not like UK, canada, australia, nz, usa... think about it.

Stop pretending we're all operating out of Turkey or something and get with the program. I am so gobsmacked people so wet behind the ears label me and call me names. lol its hilarious. As if it even matters what drips think. They dont even like the back-chat.

5. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

On a different note.
    One thing I would love to see from Reiza is engaging us in Tech videos of some form, just like Aris @Kunos used to post or Niels heusinkveld.

Would be awesome If Reiza post track days, interviews with engineers or race drivers or testers so we get a better understanding how things correlate from reality to simulation and the job at hand.

The Internet is now a place full of miss information and opinions which some take as Gospel.

I do hope you guys can find the time to get some YouTube content which we'll give us a better understanding of stuff under the hood rather than only youtube sim racers opinions.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. Renato Simioni

[​IMG]

We´ll get there tho :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. Raceracerace

May be it would be, but the last thing any PR person will tell you - that unless its outight lies or something - and its libel, right, then you don't react. Thats worse..

All the company can do is keep putting the title in peoples paths in legitimate ways and anything related. If its a nut to be cracked, it can crack to varying degrees. At any level, segment or area, height, elite, middle, bottom, top down, ground up. I don't know why people are so concerned - 90% of the world is basically designed around this principle of upward mobility.

In the UK they have a term for it Yuppies. The youtube culture on sim racing, no offence, I would have thought it was less influential than something like cosmetics. It doesn't strike me as that kind of thing. Cars are deeply personal and have been sold as a LIFESTYLE choice for decades....

I remember my old man watching in not from usa, but the guy with the mustache and cigar, on that show set for life or something and he was funny as, and they sold cars then as such its no secret, look at insurance products, same thing. Just pointing people at the right direction.

80% of his comment section were not even referring to the game, etc, but himself. With the setups, he is probably thinking why steelcast has to do them for people. Maybe he thinks its too hard, I don't know. But when i watch a sitcom - I don't look to solve the worlds biggest mysteries. I do know his got to feel stiff is related to the speed phenomenon and going fast, and that since its Pcars 2 in his head, lol, really... lol he wants it to be easy then why does he think its hard. But he is misconstruing his own outlooks on that. To him he is just playing a game.

In the market you don't go after individuals - its a numbers game

Just watch his videos for crying out loud. Don't dig deep.

8. Zeraxx

Zeraxx Active Member AMS2 Club Member

10000% agree, and what my first post on this thread was referring to.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

In general, if you are a Youtuber (well, today they call it Influencer) with 710,000 subscribers you also bare some responsibility for the content you release. That would include doing some research in to the topic you are covering. What you can not do is claiming you are just a regular user of the particular software you are presenting in your video. Also, as successful Youtuber (Influencer) you will have to realize that your words have consequences and will be repeated a million times by your followers and also can have economical consequences.

This are all things that some Youtubers (Influencers) are missing.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yup, and what you’ve posted is just the tip of the iceberg. He’s got a real thing for one forum member in particular (maybe a crush?). Kind of amazed it’s been allowed to go on so long...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I reported it yesterday but not sure if something comes out of it

12. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What I find mind blogging is that Jimmer seems to not give a damn about the consequences of his actions (this video). At that point he cannot not know it is harmful. It's a bit as if he had the Reiza team physically in front of him and gave them the middle finger. Of course he would not do that in the real world because he's a polite and intelligent guy, but on YT it is somewhat OK and everything is permitted without thinking a bit first. It shows total lack of empathy, let alone not researching stuff properly to put things into context and give some perspective. He just doesn't care and is OK throwing vitriol for the sake of it and his business. This is quite sad and I expect it will happen the same every few months, in-between 2 F1 2021 videos (nothing against that game!).
    In the meantime, let's forget him and get back to enjoying AMS2, far from YT drama. Nothing is better than smelling asphalt in a BMW M8 GTE on the Nords in the morning ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

I agree that Jimmys video isnt much of a review.
    But he did say it might drive better with a better setup etc. and said its a shame theres no decent default setup for every car.

Ive had this discussion here a few times, and I stand by the opinion that a lot of people will walk away from a sim if you need to copy TT setups from other people or read a manual/watch a youtube vid on car setups in order to make this sim feel right.

I understand its part of the game for some people, but youre losing a lot of playerbase if it isnt a bit more accesable than it is right now.
    Which is a bit of a shame imo because I love this sim and it has so much potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Raceracerace

Let me be very gentle. Its a small business. He's a bigger business than a game studio, clearly. His total life earnings are probably larger.

He did nothing wrong. He never has, maybe one time. Its not libel. Its not wrong, its not stupid of him. People holding your view are the ones doing "it" all. They're actually the ones being mind boggling. Thats his opinion and its about time you began respecting it.

His opinion is worth more than yours. And get over it - you dropped 50 dollars or something on the title probably - ohhh big chunk of change.

What gives any one the right to get all upset. IF you have played the game for more than a few hours, you've probably made back your money in entertainment, dude. And the company is ready and waiting to sell more DLC, which you will probably buy. So whats all the complaining.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Potato Player

Potato Player New Member

So Reiza sent him the game for free to review at release.

What about this DLC, did he get it free in exchange for a video or did he have to pay for it?

16. Split Second

I think it has to do with the madness engine. You hear it with Jimmy and others. It is often stated as yeah Reiza is good and they throw some bone-in like yeah it can be fun but it is not serious. That already is a backhanded compliment and they know it full well. And then it comes. Don't forget it is basically a glorified Project Cars and they are dealing with the madness engine and it has so many quirks. People are very negative about Project Cars. So people's feelings about Project Cars will crossover to Automobilista 2.
    If Jimmy or some other will hear this. They will say they love Reiza and they loved AMS and that he even mentioned and brought it up on his channel. And that they will not review or drive AMS2 anymore because it is not for them. And they wish you all the luck.
    This again creates negative publicity and backlash against Reiza and AMS2.
    It is very hard to get out of this cycle. Because you don't want to put these youtubers on a pedestal but you can't ignore them either.
    Maybe and this can maybe be done. Is maybe have an online youtube conversation with one responsible for the physics and Jimmy and such to explain things and get some nuance and reality back. Or maybe have a conversation and yt clip with Steelcast and Jimmy and such.
    Otherwise, these negative driveby reviews will hurt immensely to AMS2.

17. Split Second

Also. Nothing related. But can you tell me what the chances are that AMS2 will come out for the xbox series x? Is that something realistic and set in motion or is it something that is not on your mind at the moment?

18. Renato Simioni

He got the Beta which means he got everything as did many youtubers, but what he actually got free or didn´t is neither here or there - getting a review copy doesn´t mean he has to like the game, and it´s not like he´s struggling for cash.

If people are at all influenced by what game engine is being used on the strength of previous games that ran with it, without knowing what is actually under the hood their opinion really doesn´t hold much water.

We´ve always said that a console port on some level is possible, even likely on the long run but that focus in on PC atm.

• Like Like x 6
  19. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

Also, the official recommended FFB settings are over a year old with no mention of the new in-game damper (which is broken by the way).

You literally have to read this forum regularly to know how to set up the FFB and even then we're still guessing most the time.

Also, if he never deleted his AMS2 folder in my documents from the last time he played, he's not going to have a good feeling. Again, you need to read this forum regularly to know that.

If you are brand new to this game and never read the forum, you're basically lost on how to set your FFB.

The official recommended FFB settings are from April 2020 and the Devs refuse to update it even though many of us have been asking FOR MONTHS.

It's a wonder how anyone enjoys this game out of the box.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Active Member

I wonder if those so called yt influencers have more impact on the "new wave" of simracers that started in the 2020 boom of our hobby or maybe they also reach the more seasoned ones..which should be more thoughtful on such opinions

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.