1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadow anti-aliasing - best options to improve AA?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Steve Lewis, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Has anyone used reshade with AMS2..? I am interested in trying out MSAA with SMAA..

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I have this installed
    Reshade.ini better colors AMS 2
    But turn it off each time now! I have also played with all the settings (different AA options) but they really blur the image so i just turn it off. I really should uninstall it though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis New Member AMS2 Club Member

Edit: ignore this!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Could you do a quick NVI walk-through of all settings/codes/bits and which version of NVI you are using?

5. Coanda

That's weirdo because I find FXAA enabled through nVi to be more blurry. The blurriness does help with night shimmering on opponent vehicles however I could not dial it out enough for the daytime scenery by using the AMS2 sharpening filter..

I found a really nice setup using ReShade 4.9.1.

MSAA High (AMS2)
    +
    SMAA RS
    TAA RS
    DELC_Sharpen @ 0.100 RS

This gives me virtually the same AA control as MSAA High + nVi FXAA without all the blurriness.. It's much better than just using MSAA High.

It did cost me 10-20 FPS though however I have plenty of overhead as I am only running a single 1080p..

Sure mate it was this:-

nVidia drivers don't have a AMS2 profile built in so you just have to create one and add the ams2avx.exe..

ams2_mc_gfx_settings_1.jpg
    ams2_mc_gfx_settings_2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Marc Collins

OK, that's what I did--thanks. Wasn't sure if there was some other bits or bytes that needed adjustment to get it all to work.

Can see the added bluriness from FXAA, though doesn't look too bad overall. Unfortunately, these settings related to FXAA and super sampling do nothing to address the only daylight issue that annoys me--the shimmering shadows in the near distance that get AA applied too late as you approach them to prevent the IQ issues.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Coanda

no worries Marc.. SS gave me a heap more daytime shimmering on the kerbs so I don't use it.. Anything above low was also too taxing for the return.. Pretty happy with the new ReShade setup.. That said I hope we get some new AA algorithms one day as MSAA and SS is pretty dated..

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marc Collins

I know Reiza is working on these issues. We saw the "other" shadow updates recently. Just takes time and very careful attention to ensure fixing one problem doesn't make other things worse. There may already be some of that happening re: VR based on the forum discussions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis New Member AMS2 Club Member

Is there any benefit to NV inspector compared to NV control panel? Is there a safe site to download from?

After reading this thread I've switched to the following, still getting > 60fp within the race with 25 cars at 19:00 long beach - start has higher FPS, ~90 but as the lights of the cars come on during the race it drops to ~ 65fps on the front straight

NVCP
    Antialiasing FFX: on
    Antialiasing Gamma Correction: on
    Antialiasing mode: Enhance
    MFAA: On

AMS2
    MSAA: Off
    POST AA: SMAA High
    Super Sampling: Low

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. Marc Collins

I think if the only things being adjusted are the above, it wouldn't matter. I am just used to using NVI to access the more exotic settings that are not available in the CP.

You need to get an NVI version that matches your driver release. The older versions of NVI won't work with DX11 newer drivers. I'm using 2.3.0.13, not that it matters much to you. You can decide what it a safe site after Googling sources :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

Im on NVI version 1.9.7.8! Works fine ;) It does have a update prompt at the bottom but only to 1.9.8.1 :confused:

12. Marc Collins

I'm no expert, but according to documentation, your version should only work with older versions of the driver.

Perhaps they all work for the basics, except you cannot access the latest, greatest settings with an older NVI version?

13. 2ndLastJedi

Seeing I'm on am old Pascal card I am still on a older driver from late 2020.
    It's weird how my NVI only offers 1.9.8.1 as newest. Even Guru3D offers the same one, nothing like the version your on.

14. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

Try this - VR Performance uplift - Game Changer!

15. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

I don't know, if somebody said this already, but with my AMD R590, it's best to overwrite AA settings in the driver for AMS2. Don't switch AA off in the game, or else it won't overwrite.

My settings ingame are MSAA High, everything else off.
    In the driver: Overwrite AA settings on, 4xEQ, Supersampling on.

This results in a MUCH better, stable image with the same framerates.
    It's almost completely flicker free. But i didn't test it with shadows as i have turned detailed
    shadows off (might want to experiment with them though, now that i think of it).

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. 2ndLastJedi

Can you share an image of these AA settings please? As a nVidia user I would like to see comparative to try. EQ isn't something I'm aware of.

17. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

Nothing too unusual, i think EQ just means enhanced quality, an AMD-Unique mode.
    The important thing is to overwrite the game's AA settings and then choose an appropriate AA -Setting for your card. I was surprised that supersampling with 4xEQ is so much faster and better than ingame-AA (or better ingame Supersampling, MSAA is at high here).
    Ingame SS isn't an option for me because its much too slow.
    Btw: I am confused about the connection between the strength of ingame MSAA and the driver-AA. When i turn the ingame MSAA OFF the settings in the driver have no effect.
    Also i believe that the strength of the ingame MSAA has some influence on the overwriting
    driver-settings... Maybe you can find out more about that.

Radeon Software 07.09.2021 07_16_24.png

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

U see the thin white lines on the concrete to the right? With my former settings these were just a flickering pixel-mess... Also fence-flickering is nearly reduced to zero.
    These flickerings are really disturbing for me so i am happy i found this.

Edit: If the image looks a bit blurry, that has to with the upscaling from 2560x1440 to 3840x2160. Ingame it looks a lot better. My card is just too weak to display native 4k. In 4k this would look really good i think.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. 2ndLastJedi

Thanks mate, i played around again today with the AA settings and came back to my current settings until i can get a higher end GPU.
    My preferred settings would be SS Ultra (obviously) but i can only get around 30-35fps so have to settle.
    Currently i use MSAA Low in game and MFAA on in NVCP. Without FXAA and MFAA it looks bad but with those 2 on it looks a dam sight better and near having MSAA Low and SS On in game but without the cost.
    LongBeach is always my goto to test AA and the fences and performance are the hardest to get right and still get around 100 fps.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  19. Marc Collins

My NVCP only does anything if I use Override game settings. Enhanced doesn't seem to work.

20. 2ndLastJedi

This is all i run in AMS2 and it makes a massive difference! If i turn FXAA and MFAA off and leave MSAA Low it looks bad....like ugly AF but enabling both those it really cleans up everything...bar shadows. No need to override or enhance anything.
    Screenshot (207).png Screenshot (208).png
    I just the other day went through all AA AGAIN...so boring but satisfying in the end finding a nice solution and now having G-Sync and 100 fps finally.