1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Shifting (Up and Down) while cornering?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by A.F.K DaN, Jun 24, 2021.

1. A.F.K DaN

A.F.K DaN Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey guys,

so I was doing a few laps with the Porsche Supercup cars (4.0 and 3.8) on VIR a few minutes ago, when I encountered a interesting issue.
    While I was turning the wheel, sometimes it wasn't possible to down- or to upshift. If it was only "downshifting" I would assume some sort of shifting protection, but never had this while upshifting (especially being at the rev limiter on corner exit).

It was pretty common to happen, mostly on turn 5a and 17 (upshifting not working), and 11 to 12 sometimes downshift didn't work. Once the wheel as bit more centered shifting was possible again. It didn't happen every lap but like every 2nd or 3rd.

As I thought, maybe some issue with the wheel I tried to reproduce this at the menu using the shifters to change menu selections while turning -> couldn't reproduce any issues with registering these buttons.

I'm using a Fanatec CSL Elite 1.0 Base and Wheel.
    Never had any issues for turn 1 for instance, so not sure whats going on here. Also didn't have any issues racing the Ginetta Cup cars a couple of weeks ago, but didn't test it yet again.

Anyone having an idea?

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Is this also happening in other sims with FFB at work? Because AMS2 doesn't have any mechanic, that would forbid shifts while cornering.

Do you have the P1 rim with the "clamp-screw-not-so-quick-release"?
    It could still be related to the Fanatec rim, i also had this problem with the CSL Elite + P1 Rim actually (and several other issues).
    Sometimes my shifter paddles weren't reacting properly, when the rim was receiving load from the FFB. It was also not revealing itself by just moving the wheel and shifting, which made it really hard to reproduce.

For a try, check if the black pin connector inside your wheelshaft on the wheelbase is sitting tight and if your P1 rim wheel-fixiation clamp is still sitting okay. Also if all pins on the P1 are okay.
    Do the shifters still feel like a "snapdome" or are they applying "soft-ish"?

Check the attachment of the rim, that goes onto the wheelshaft for cracks (often within the gaps between the 4 segments, i had 2 cracks on my P1) and make sure the bulge at the top inside of the wheelrim attachment, that looks like two rails (made to make it fit with the groove on the wheelshaft) is still completely okay.

3. A.F.K DaN

Yep, its exactly the P1 Rim, forgot it's name earlier, but it has the release-mechanism with a bolt that need to be tightened / loosened.

I will doublecheck it tomorrow again with AMS2 and rF2. I've also reseated it after stopping playing. On my first look, all pins still looked fine.
    Earlier on I've driven a bit of rF2 but with a formula rim, which didn't have any issues.
    So might indeed be a P1 rim issue. Will see what I can find out tomorrow.

Thats pretty exactly what it felt like, yep.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. A.F.K DaN

Okay, this is definitely not an AMS2 issue.
    Took the GT3 Porsche at rF2 for a ride at VIR too, could replicate the same issue - not as common as in AMS2, but on the same spots with the same upshifts. With other cars it was even less of an issue, but that might have been due to other driving styles and different shifting locations (less FFB active while shifting).

But, for whatever reason, after driving a while AMS2 again, it seemed to disappear a bit. So probably something with my rim as stated before.

and for once again, i have to admit, ams2 really came a long way. some cars really feel amazing now!

5. A.F.K DaN

Just for clarification if someone ever happens to get the same issue:
    Wheel was broken, sent it in to fanatec, they checked it and told me no repair possible as "main cable and snap dome were broken". repair in this case would have exceeded price for a refurbished product.

6. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

How old is the wheel?

7. A.F.K DaN

just a bit over 2 yrs old, so no warranty anymore.
    even rarely used, because most cars i drove the last months had formula rim or similiar, for which i had another rim.

looks like problems with snapdome are not rare, found quite a few results on google especially with the p1 rim and the old mclaren gt3 rim i think.

8. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Disappointing that they wouldn't fix it even more so that they claim the price to do so makes it not cost effective. The parts would be pennies. I had a P1 for a while and it worked fine but my McLaren wheel was returned a few times. Whatever this did the last time fixed it thankfully - been fine for over a year.