Trees

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by mister dog, Oct 23, 2016.

1. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I wanted to complement you guys on the representation of your trees. They look really good. Seems like they are all 3D?

Anyhow, this is an aspect that anno 2016 is still ignored a lot in racing games, but the trees in AMS look very good and realistic. So please give my regards to the tree guy @ Reiza studios [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

They're actually flat 2d images with lots of clever tricks employed to fool people into thinking they are not flat ;) But thanks :)

• Like Like x 5
  3. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Seems i got fooled then :D

Good job though, i'm used to seeing these cross shaped cardboard cutouts when it concerns the broad leaved type, or unimaginative flat pine trees that all look the same wherever they tend to grow. Devs tend to line them all up next to each other too which makes things even worse.
    It's an area that hasn't seen much love in the past decade compared to all the other graphical improvements we've had.

4. Rodent

Rodent Member AMS2 Club Member

Agreed, I was actually thinking the same running the Brit pack yesterday. Kudos for the trickery, fooled me as well and no complaints. :D

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Could they use the same sort of trickery on the crowd/spectators ? They aren't fooling anybody.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Salvatore Sirignano

Salvatore Sirignano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi @Alex Sawczuk

I'm working on a scratch, never seen historical track for Automobilista, and would like to know how you implemented the billboarding effect for the trees in game? Please could you help me out?

I read up on some rF2 documentation where they said it was a new feature introduced for rF2 (missing in rF1) which leaves me with no idea how to produce such trees for AMS.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 2