1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RWB Trial League

Discussion in 'Fan Sites & Community Events' started by Rodders, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Koba

Koba Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Incredible race at Laguna Seca! With a grid of 21 cars, there was always someone nearby. I think I got the top finish of the cars that did a pit stop, in P6. So much action, Laps 12 and 13 in particular. When I pitted on Lap 15 from P6, I came out of the pits I think in P12. From there I only had to make two or three passes on track to get back to P6. At that point the gap to Richard A. was too big, although I had some hope when he spun and his 28s gap shrunk to just 15s with a few laps to go. The Boxer Cup at Laguna Seca is another great combo!

Except you got punted on the very last corner. You should get that place back.

2. Mazuma

Mazuma New Member

That last pass was not clean .. true.
    The race itself was good fun though and ill deff be back for more ;)

3. hashegotabeard

hashegotabeard Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Seeing as that's me that you're referring to I'd like to dispute the word 'punted'.

I'm happy to give the place up if Mazuma, himself, is unhappy.

He seemed in good spirits after the race so I put it down as a racing incident.

Twice last race I had contact initiated by another car that cost me places that were not given back and possibly compromised my race but I didn't report them as they were in no way malicious. I've got no problem with anyone, that feels I have driven against them in an unsportsmanlike way, reporting incidents but can we at least keep it between the parties involved?

The move was risky but it looks a lot worse out of context. I'd caught up a gap of ~5.5 seconds in that final lap. I knew 1, if not all 3 cars in front, where probably on dead tyres; all 3 were for positions 10,11,12 (I was 13th at the time). I had a backmarker to pass, which I did half way through the lap, and realised I'd only have the last two corners to make any kind of move.

The plan was to set the move up in the penultimate right hander using my exit speed to remain on the inside of the final left; to not move the car from that line so that whoever was in front knew I was looking to take momentum (not quite as much as I eventually had :p) and try the inside line.

Trouble was a)I didn't maximise my exit speed as much as I 'd hoped and b) everyone was on my planned line on the left. Racing situations are fluid so I adapted my line to try the outside line. Mazuma then starts to drift right so I switch back left and then commit to my brakes. He switches far right between the 3 and the 2 marker boards (I'm braking at the 3 - the furthest back) and then commits to braking around the second board.

He's now so far wide right that I assume he's going to try round the outside of the grey car. If this turned out to be true I needed to get the car as close to the back of Rick in the grey; I'm not expecting Mazuma to be aiming for the apex. There's a gap but it's too small. By the time he's fully committed I'm turning in too but have too much speed. If I knew he was 100% going for that apex I would of applied the brakes harder in the initial phase. I had the benefit of hindsight I would of stuck to the right, followed in and hoped I either got a better exit, but no-one does.

Other than that it was a great race. A really healthy attendence of 21 with a least a couple of regulars having legit excuses not attending and ~30 signed up altogether. Seemed like a few fresh faces too.

I'm a fan of the track but it did prove more difficult to overtake than last race, personally.

I really need to get my qualifying down as I was 17th on the grid this time and always seem to get away quickly. I think I tend to set a faster lap under race conditions than I do my qualie lap.

I had multiple chases/defences against numerous different members until the field spread out during pits. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong but I seem to lose time with my pit strategy and wouldn't of been able to eek out the tyres like some have these last two races.

Speaking of which, congrats to Raging Bull, who ended up 16(!) places up by race end.

An absolute dominant display from speeddy after last races tactical mis step. But James is keeping him extremely honest out front. I think the top two are wrapped up now. Third place is still attainable for anyone within the top ten, realistically.

Looking forward to VIR. Mind the curbs!

4. Mazuma

Mazuma New Member

Was quite the gap you closed, I say keep the spot. All good on my end. ;)

5. Rodders

Rodders Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I base any incident investigation on people coming forward to me. Club guidelines say if you disadvantage anyone through contact under normal racing conditions and pass them as a result, you give that place back. If you feel you are due a place back then report it.

I'm always happy though if drivers come to an amicable solution and even if there is a disagreement, get it out and we can look over it. It's very easy to read a situation wrong during a race which is so clear on a replay afterwards.

Seems like you both have an amicable solution though so I'll just walk on by............... :p

Yeah excellent race last night. I personally had a bit of a nightmare and should have had 3rd sealed if only I'd not had a few lapses of concentration and been unfortunate to get caught up in an accident which left me with 55 secs of damage to repair. After all that though I still enjoyed the event immensely and there was constantly something happening.

VIR next week - oh man that's gonna make Laguna seem like a cake-walk :D

Going to be quite a fight between 1st and 2nd and another for 3rd place where any of 5 people could take it, along with micro battles through the rest of the field. Can't wait!

6. Koba

Koba Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey I wasn't naming names, :p I just felt bad for the guy because I was watching the replay and saw that he lost a spot on the very last corner. After I reviewed my race, I looked around to see what other action there was during the race, and I noticed five guys battling on the last lap (although one guy was a lap down). I think Banksy didn't pit because he was hanging on for dear life at the end there, and I think everyone behind him did pit because you all closed in on him pretty fast on the last lap, and here is the last corner of the race:

[​IMG]
    Incredible battle after 45 minutes of racing!

I think the fact that the length of the race, for this car and these tires, allows some guys to go the whole race without pitting, while some guys do a pit stop, is what is creating these great races. There is a lot more action than if it was a sprint and no one pitted, or if everyone had to pit. I know that I am hard on tires so I don't bother to see how far I can go, I just plan to pit. Before I pitted, I was going at the same pace as Painternator and Raging Richard, but they didn't pit and at the end of the race they had big gaps on me, so they were able to maintain their pace. I was amazed by that—I know that if I didn't pit I would have slowed down drastically near the end of the race.

7. Rodders

Yeah I have a lot to learn about tyre management too. My front right was orange for large parts of the lap. In hindsight the way I had my car balanced was killing the front tyres. I've changed that for the next race already (though VIR is no where near as hard on tyres).

BTW, worth knowing that if you lose it on the right hander coming out of the wee fast twisty section on VIR, you end up flying so far on the grass that when you try to turn the car to get back on track, it thinks you are actually going the wrong way on a section of track way over the other side and you get DQ'd. Happened to me on a practice session. You have to turn the car very slowly and almost head back the way you came to get back on track safely.

I'll try and draw a diagram.

8. Rodders

If you lose it where the yellow line starts, you will probably fly off the track as shown and go so far that if you just turn the car with the forward momentum still carrying it (red line) you risk a DQ when it thinks you are going the wrong way on the other side of the track. Best to slow and almost do a u-turn. I've not tested the optimal way to re-enter but you hopefully get the picture.

Attached Files:

9. Rodders

Last race tonight all and man it's gonna be tough on VIR with that Boxer Cup's rear end behaviour.

Looking forward to it and see you on the track. Practice session leading to qualy should be up from around 7pm.