AMS1 working in VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by mr_belowski, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Wolf WolfZ AMS2 Club Member

Interesting , Turning off my DD1 and then booting AMS , then once in track turn on DD1 then go to controls and hit the refresh button.Then it works.

2. Sparten

Sparten New Member

Make sure you turn off confirmation menu in the game settings, that will fix this issue.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tambe

Tambe Member

We have it disabled as always, even before this plugin existed, so it must be another problem. But thanks

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  4. Gabriel OF

Gabriel OF New Member

Wow, I'm blown away, that's some really impressive hacking and looks great on my old Rift CV1.
    Apart from the UI thing, that can be adjusted with a lower resolution, the only issue I found are textures popping/flickering after ESC the session and return back. Not sure if there's already a fix for it so need to go through all the 10 post pages here :D Anyway that's not a deal breaker.
    I'll definitely drive much more AMS again since I cannot yet replicate the same drive experience in AMS2. Thanks a lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Almac

Almac New Member

I downloaded this mod the other day and it's works beautifully, so no issues there. However, after installing it, and I'm not entirely sure if it's related, but VR was no longer working properly in Assetto Corsa and AMS2. Does this mod start up some background process, or over-write some globally applied dll files that may cause issues with VR in other games?

6. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

None at all. The mod only affects ams and nothing is installed or altered outside the ams plugins folder. No idea what's happened to ac and ams2 but I'm 100% sure that it's not related

7. Almac

Almac New Member

Thanks. I thought it seemed unlikely, but the fact that it only started after installing the mod made me wonder.

8. Gabriel OF

Gabriel OF New Member

Long shot here, but have you tried out OpenVR FSR recently? There's an option to replace some dlls globally.

9. Tambe

Tambe Member

I have downloaded the latest version of the plugin and I am not able to start the game, it closes before opening.

10. Retrolux

Retrolux Member AMS2 Club Member

Try starting it from the explorer (ams.exe) instead of Steam. I had the same issue recently that over steam it did not start up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tambe

Tambe Member

I already tried that and it does the same, so it does not start ams

12. M.Guenette

M.Guenette Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Retrolux

Right click the AMS.exe and check if there are compatibility things checked. It should be without any compability settings defined like (windows 7 or fullscreen optimization etc.), otherwise it does not start up with the VR mod installed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tambe

Tambe Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tambe

Tambe Member

Well, I had not touched that, it was by default, I have tried and it does not start, I have tried the rest of the compatibility configurations and neither. I don't understand why there are people who use it without a problem and others can't even start, what's more, when they took it out I could play, only when I gave ESC the game would crash, but now it doesn't even start the game.

16. Retrolux

I did not touched that as well when it happened on my end but somehow windows hat same those compatibility modes in... Removing any of those helped me to be able to start ams again. Before it did not even show the first loading banner.

Sad that it did not work out on your end.

What you could also try is to rename the d3d9_2.dll (dynhud) to d3d9_2.OUT so that it does not interfere with the loading of the vr mod.

There are also reports that certain wheel drivers from fanatec are casusing issues. Try to start the game up without any wheels attached to rule that out.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tambe

Tambe Member

Thank you very much for trying to help me. I have tried renaming the dll file, and without connecting my T300, the game starts, but normally, without VR. :(

18. Retrolux

Its great that the startup issue was not VR mod related and caused by the input devices.
    I am using a tool to keep the device order always the same on windows 10 as otherwise it causes that the IDs change and the controller configurations in AMS go wild. I might also cause the startup issue you and others have.
    If you play older sims i can totally recommend this tool. GitHub - briankendall/devreorder: A utility for reordering and hiding DirectInput controllers

As for the VR rendering. Did you enabled VR rendering in the Crewchief.ini and started steamVR before starting AMS?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tambe

Tambe Member

Thank you, yes I did

20. RaceRider

RaceRider New Member

I have got AMS working in Quest 2 using link. Frame rate is 90+ on time trials I have played and it looks very clear with 4x AA. Steam VR Supersampling is 130% (No Steam VR beta). I have GTX 1070 with AMD 5900x but both GPU and CPU seem to have a lot of headroom shown in FpsVR.

Problem is that my game will freeze in VR after I Esc and go back to pits/main menu after a while.
    Usually, the VR display will freeze and locks to HMD while the game is still running and accessible on the monitor. Occasionally I get a prompt that steam VR has crashed. I have turned off exit confirmation, deleted d3d9_2.dll, and tried all I could after reading all I could.

Any suggestion?:(

• Like Like x 1