1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry if this is a double post. How can I display FPS in Reverb G2 headset while playing AM2?

2. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

fpsVR on Steam
    Integrates with Steam VR menu.

3. BartZ

Thank you very much. I'll give it a go.

4. BartZ

Another quick question. Is there a way to remove Reverb G2 speakers? Even with them swiveled out the way I can't use my headphones as they get in the way.

Then than brutally ripping them off, of course

5. DarrenM

DarrenM New Member

Undo the screw on the inside. I prefer them to headphones so left mine on. Audio quality is good. Less hassle. Not having something pushing on your ears is more immersive and more comfortable.

Steamvr has a built in performance overlay you can enable in the settings. No need to buy an app for it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  6. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Expanding on my previous questions, it seems I'm unable to get the G2 on my country, at least right now :-( Availability and prices are the main factors.

I can get the Quest 2 for a good deal tough, but I'm affraid about latency playing sims. I can get around the Facebook required login and the lower resolution and sound quality against the G2, but if the link cable and the video compression thing the Q2 is doing add a perceived latency on input controls is bad for racing sims, I prefer to wait until I can get the G2, so I want to ask to anyone who has Q2 and/or had the opportunity to try both headsets, how the Q2 performs with AMS2 and if latency and/or performance are a real problem with the headset.

Please excuse me the questions and doubts about which headset to get, but living in a third world country is not easy regarding tech availability and costs overall.

Thank to you all again.

7. DutchFireMan

DutchFireMan New Member

Hi steve,

first of all, thank you for all the tips. I have read everything you posted and did everything you did. But I got a few questions could you show us the ingame settings, the frs settings (because you stated those 2 times but different especially for the sharpness) because there are 3 places you can set sharpening.

1 fsr
    2 graphics vr file
    3 nvidia

and are you using the 100% ss globally or like many people who take the 2100x2100 ss. Which is the incorrect one and sets the ss on 60% in global?

are you using msaa on med or high?
    I have a:
    amd 5900x
    Rtx 3080ti
    32gb ram 3600
    Hp reverb g2

could you please post the total settings?
    Nvidia
    Steamvr
    Ingame
    Fsr

and did you end up using DX11?
    Sorry to ask this. But i think you are on to someting.
    I’m using the procces lasso app are you?

8. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

I’ve found starting SteamVR before I start AMS2 gives me consistent results. If I need to come out of AMS2 to change supersampling in steam for example, close SteamVR, reopen it and then start AMS2 again.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DutchFireMan

DutchFireMan New Member

My se
    I have a very long sequence
    -wmd start automatically
    -sim hub does also
    - motion platform v3 in the background
    - I start up Crewchief
    - and then I made a desktop link to Ams 2

(the last step does the rest, opens steam vr and then opens Ams 2 automatically)

never got any issues.

• Like Like x 1
  10. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

The Quest 2 is great for all games apart from driving sims. It’s not the Quest 2 that’s the issue it’s the link cable. I love my Quest 2 for airlink and playing HLA and Boneworks etc but for driving sims the compression the link cable causes makes me throw up in my mouth haha
    AMS2 isn’t too bad with link cable, but it’s not that pleasant, R3E looks the best, dirt rally 2.0 looks like a PS2 game and RF2 at night time is awful too.
    I’ve gone back to rift S for driving sims, I’ll take the SDE over the compression any day.
    My conclusion is only play driving sims with a headset that uses DisplayPort!
    I would have liked to have bought a G2, but the no headphones jack made it a pass for me and my personal tastes for sound.
    I’m now waiting to see what valve do or if HP release another headset like the G2 but with a headphones socket.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  11. Viking_Magnus

Viking_Magnus Member AMS2 Club Member

Having recently changed from a Rift-S to a Quest2, I would suggest you double check your Link settings for the Quest2. The Quest2 is leaps and bounds better visual quality if you alter settings correctly within Oculus Tray Tool (or Debug Tool).
    Easiest way to check, is grab Oculus Tray Tool, go to the "Quest Link" tab, and choose the 2080+ preset (if your PC can handle it). This by itself is enough to improve the visual quality significantly over the Rift. You can tweak things further with increasing the Bitrate up to 500, and to change the resolution of the Quest 2 within the Oculus software itself. By default, the Quest 2 runs well below its native resolution in the Oculus app.

Now to gain an enormous amount of system headroom, alter the "Mirror FOV Multiplier" within Oculus Tray Tool. The tooltip for this is incorrect, it affects in headset FOV. This allows you to get rid of anything outside of your natural FOV and depending on how aggressive you set it, can gain you an enormous amount of performance. As an example I am currently testing a fairly aggressive setting of 0.69 vertical, 0.69 horizontal. Incredibly noticeable in the Oculus menus, but trust me, once you get in game you get so immersed you wont even notice the FOV cut.
    With this setting, I have been able to run native refresh rate (not ASW), turned up a bunch of settings, and still end up using less GPU than what I used with the RiftS.

Without altering these settings and running it completely by default out of the box, you are 100% correct. I was immensely disappointed when I first got the headset. But with these tweaks, it's so significantly better that there is no chance I could ever go back to the RiftS (plus strangely its even better performance with the FOV tweak)

Edit: It's important when you alter the Mirror FOV Multiplier setting that you dont "Restart Oculus Service" afterwards otherwise you will need to Save it again. It can be altered live while you have your headset on in game too btw, so try some settings while on track.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

DutchFireMan.. I think I posted all my steam and graphic settings on page 61. I might need to reupload images again.. Fsr I Change on a per track basis. Msa med night and rain, during sunny days I use high. No on the dx11 part didn't like it. 100% globally yes

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  13. DutchFireMan

DutchFireMan New Member

yes I the picture on page 61 has a red cross trough it. Can’t open it. Thank you

14. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Thanks, I read a lot of comments saying the same, and ended buying the Quest 2 :rolleyes:

Now seriously, my CV1 was falling apart: audio broken, head strap I had to use glue because it dettached, headset mounted sensor goes nuts in the middle of the race, etc. so I needed an urgent replacement and I was unable to get the G2 in my country, so the next best thing was the Q2 at a good deal.

My initial impression, after applying some recommended tweaks, was that it's a lot better than the CV1 in almost all areas for sim racing, but the compression is a let down in the viewing distance, at least with the available performance my modest 2080 can give.

Anyway, I was able to found some settings to mitigate this problem, sort of. What really is almost a game changer regarding the compressed blurrines is the new sharpen option introduced in the v33 firmware. I can say now I'm almost happy with my brand new Quest 2, knowing things only can get better with more GPU grunt in the near future.

I really wanted the HP, I don't care about wireless, but after buying the Q2 I now can say it's not as bad as many people used to say, and it's better than my ex CV1 in any area.

Thanks again for your time commenting to my post.

16. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe it already has been answered here somewhere buried within these 60+ pages…
    I currently use oculus vr. I am in need of an upgrade after some years with these goggles. With my machine (see specs below), which vr product would be suitable and an upgrade for me? I might consodering to upgrade my PC if really needed. Thanks for advice

17. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have the Rift S, and am also considering an upgrade. Almost all the recommendations i receive regarding VR currently are the Reverb G2.

18. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Reverb G2 but you'll want at least a RTX2080Ti/3070 minimum and a RTX3080 or higher to run it well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Wait a couple of weeks to see what Facebook (Oculus) announce at Facebook Connect. There are almost definitely some new headsets in the pipeline. Both will likely be updates to the Quest 2, which is, by the way, an excellent headset for sim racing with a display as good as the Reverb G2.

20. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I had the quest 2 and had to sell it as I just couldn’t get it to work well. I have a decent pc (in signature below) but struggled with it and what frustrates me is I see people saying it’s awesome with less spec pc than myself. I went to a rift s but the screen door effect is too much. I really wish I could have got the quest 2 working properly but being a techy noob Didn’t help

Baz