1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offical Thrustmaster FFB Gain settings advice !

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Dady Cairo, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Hey folks and Thrustmaster Users, (sorry i forgot an i in official:eek:)
    i asked myself after reading much different opinions in racing forums about TMP Control Center FFB gain settings in raceing simulators what is recomended and what can damage your wheel if setting are to high.I always use the standard settings for my wheel and it is set to 60%!
    So i contacted Thrustmaster to find out the truth.
    Just for your information,it's what i always thought.
    Hope it helps...:)
    So this was my question:
    Product: TS-PC RACER

Platform: PC
    Request: Hello,
    the standard is 60% in the driver,wich seems a bit low.I read that some users set it to 100 %.I think this will damage the wheel soon.So can you tell me the max. force for FFB without damaging my nice wheelbase?
    I have three rims: the Ferrari the Racer and the Sparco rim.Each gives a different Standard force if i click on standard in the Thrustmaster Control Panel.For example Ferrari rim is standard 60%.
    Cheers and thank you in advance
    Chr.Birkenbach

Here is the answere from Tech Support:

Unbenannt.JPG

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Hello
    Besn a topic for years due to T300 supposed overheating leading again to supposed high failure rate
    So the advice was to reduce gain and force fan ON all the time

To give you my perspective
    I am a TSPC owner and always set gain at 100% in TM control panel then adjust gain directly in games to avoid clipping case by case meaning car by car

I have run my wheel for 3yrs no problem whatsoever

3. Dady Cairo

I had it on 75 % wich was standard before the last firmware.They reduced it to 60% now.
    When i set my gain to 75% and drive about 30 minutes,the cooling from the motor makes loud rattling sounds,with 60% all is ok.

What gain you use in AMS 2 now?

4. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

With default FFB from reiza 60 to 70 depending on the car

5. Dady Cairo

Oh my,that would kill my arms.Wrestling?:D

6. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

A lot of games seem to overwrite the TM Driver settings in regards of forces and steering angle. I would not be surprised if you set 75 in AMS2, it's also back to default 75% in TM driver.
    Also if you make FX stronger, it has the same force strenght with 60/60 compared to 70/50.
    I would also not recommend to turn TM driver damping completly off. Without damping the weels gets a lot of force peaks that would otherwise be moderated by damping.

New TM wheels under 500€ are currently hard to get, just lke hardware in general.

I go for the conservative way, since strong wheels forces are anyway not a realistic feature in a rolling car, and a T300 at 60% is about as strong as a Logitech G29 at 100%

The cooling fan also kicks in a lot less with 60%
    With 100% in Assetto Corsa I had the wheel reduce torque on its own after 5 minutes Nordschleife and the fan constant running and precise steering was not possible anyway.

Again, and that's only with a T300RS GT that uses 75% as factory default.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

what you are saying is interesting. in previous builds of RF2 some years ago, the game setting like wheel rotation angle would overwrite the TM drivers setting.
    I am not aware it would have modified the wheel Gain though as you are suggesting "many sims" would do, do you have some concrete examples?

we could test TM CP at said 60% and same 60% gain in game vs TM CP at 100% and 60% gain in Game to see if that theory applies to AMS2 for example

there has been tons and still ongoing discussions on so many forums about what and how adjust settings in the TM panel and I decided to follow the 100% route being for Gain, damping and spring then get the Game set to my liking and again, using FFB clipping as reference (bars, graphs whatever available in said Game, I have also created dashboard overlay in Simhub to monitor FFB clipping behavior).

And yes I confess that I like a relatively heavy wheel center feel, and I respect people having other opinions/preferences for sure.

again, that's my personal experience as the OP was about TM recommendations on settings that would extend the wheel lifetime of course as a Manufacturer, they want to play safe with warranty risks. I can appreciate their logic but my wheel is out of warranty anyway so I see no reason to reduce from the 100% I ahve used for years

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  8. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

see my post above about preference for heavy wheel

I just noticed you have a TSPC wheel like me and I also remember few weeks ago upgrading FW that would set the gain at 75% default not 60% like you are suggesting

you are sure you are using the correct FW for the TSPC?

in regards to Fan, mine is relatively noticeable I reckon when idling but while in Game with car and overall sound, it doesn't bother me at all and I never heard it rattling like you are suggesting

9. McClutch

I'm very sure about that in Dirt Rally 2.0, and The Crew 2. Noteworthy is that the same games where not able to alter settings in the Logitech Gaming Software.

10. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I have DIRT2 never noticed it tbh but I might have not paid attention

11. McClutch

all FFB The sliders in DR have a 150% range. That's where the "extra" torque comes from. on a Thjustmaster this seeting gives more usable torque. On logitechs it just produced a rattling wheel gearing.

12. Dady Cairo

This is what a STANDARD setting is for the TS-PC!
    Note Package 3!

2.JPG 1.JPG

13. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Oops sorry, yes correct FW and drivers for this wheel
    If i reset to defaut on mine it goes to 60% as well
    Apologize i had in mind it was still 75% on the TSPC racer wheel

• Like Like x 1