1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is the big AMS2 AI update scheduled for?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by James Lee GTE, Oct 24, 2021.

1. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

I have been exclusively playing AMS2 since last weekend and I absolutely love it now! For hot lapping this sim is so enjoyable and immersive.
    Over the last seven days I’ve noticed that each AI race that I do, the AI race in identical patterns no matter what track and car combo I run, which is ruining the whole off line experience.
    If I start on the grid in 7th or 8th, the exact same race occurs each and every time.
    You have 1st to 3rd create a mini group and they race together in formation and go three wide / create a wall from start to finish and they finish within one second of each other. 4th and 5th place will pair up and hold you up a bit to create a gap for you to chase down the leading pack of three. 6th and 7th place usually let me through on T1 and will end up finishing ages behind the leaders.
    Once I catch the leading three cars it’s a nightmare getting passed them because they switch between creating a wall over the width of the track or a convoy through a corner. In the end you just get annoyed, dive bomb them and drive off into the distance. The top three AI lap a lot and I mean a lot quicker than the other AI too, which feels like top 3 are rated 100 AI skill and the rest are at 75 AI skill. It’s the strangest racing sim AI that I’ve ever come across.

I think I read somewhere that there’s a big AI update coming soon and was curious if it’s October or November?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

I would not expect one big update. There are usually smaller improvements every month. More development of driver personalities will hopefully help with clumping.

At this point "big updates" will just introduce a new set of issues anyhow.

It's a lot better now than it was several months ago. Hopefully the trend line continues!

3. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The "big update", which for me is the update that brings us a ranking/rating system was projected by end of year. Fingers crossed.

4. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Wasn't the "AI update" already included in V1.2.4.1?

5. DaveC187

DaveC187 Member

I am waiting / dreaming of when the AI behaves more human regarding spining out on their own or accidents from pushing too hard in corners. Most accidents I see with AI is entering pits or bottlenecks at a corner. I am enjoying each update and I appreciate Reiza efforts in improving AI.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

The "extended developments to AI personalities" discussed in the September dev notes was not listed as a release item in 1.2.4.1 or the follow-ons in October. Since I think that is what the OP was referring to, the answer appears to be "no".

In any case, I anticipate/hope that we'll see AI enhancements each month but not some big one shot overhaul that improves some stuff and breaks a lot of others.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

That would be rather cool. I like the idea of pressure resulting in errors. If you are on an ai bumper but cant quite get past, at the moment its very robotic as they pump out perfect lap after perfect lap with no (or very little) variation. It would be very neat if that pressure manifested itself in lock ups or going wide, or even just covering the inside line more obviously (although as they are not affected to any obvious extent by running less than optimal lines from an energy state perspective the effect on that last one would tend to be more cosmetic at present). I used the term robotic deliberately as its not lost on me that computers (ai in this case) do repetition extremely well compared to humans, but we want the ai to be more human like. Not quite ironic but close :p Anyway, I digress. Humans make mistakes, especially when under pressure or when task saturated. It would be lovely if the driver personalities reflect that :)
    Just going back to the point about optimal lines and energy management (or lack thereof) with the ai, if this got solved it would make the three wide for an entire lap a thing of the past...

• Agree Agree x 2