[Suggestion] Option to disable autostart at the start of a session

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Badgerous, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

The thing that confuses me is that while ghosting is understandable in the pits or before a rolling start, AMS2 and PC2 sometimes have ghosting out on track, and I can never work out when it will happen. Last night I had a drive at Imola, and some cars ghosted when I got close while passing them and others didn't. It reminded me of a PC2 race ages ago when I first realised this in practice, but assuming it would stay the same in qualifying caused a few problems!

The trouble is when people come from a ghosting in pits game to one that doesn't. I did the VISC 12 hours of Sebring a few weeks ago, and one of my team-mates was an ACC driver trying his hand at rF2, and he was very good. However, while I was riding with him prior to a driver change, he drove into a stationary car in the pits, which was a bit embarrassing! I've seen others do this too.

Not having ghosting can be a real pain in a crowded pit lane or when someone is in your box, especially if they're having a few minutes of repairs. Perhaps too much realism.

2. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It happens when you encounter a car that has just entered the MP session and you have not been yet to the pits because you will get sync'd to him only once you come back to the pits. Before that to avoid issues you will see them as ghosts

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

What does "you will get synced to him" mean? I could see them, and they only turned shimmery when I got close, so surely my computer and the server knew where we both were?

Something vaguely similar happens in rF2 with skin transfer, which only happens in the pits (to not interfere with bandwidth), so cars that join while you're on track appear as yellow jelly moulds.

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It's also a join lag prevention, like the cheese car in rF2 indeed.

Somebody joins and can see all the cars on track, already being on the server
    ->
    The cars on track aren't able to see the new joined car
    ->
    So the already existing cars on the server are ghosted for the new player, as long as they haven't pitted again.

I sometimes miss the marshmallow/cheese car, not gonna lie :whistle: