Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

2. Danielkart

3. Danielkart

Es gibt a

4. Danielkart

Sorry ich bin neu hier ich fahre einen dd1 und motion. Diese 5.o1-Datei ist wow wow wow. Unglaublich diese ffb, herzlichen Glückwunsch an alle, Karsten etc.

Habe nur die Notch-Bump-Skala wegen zu hohem Beat etwas reduziert. Nur Monza 10k ist noch nicht ganz perfekt. Die andere ffb ist fast perfekt

• Like Like x 2
  5. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hey SlowBloke,

Here you have a version 5.0.1 attached,

with damping set static at 30% and damping slider used for power steering.

Best,

-K

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

Thank you so much Karsten :):):) Will give it a go in a bit !

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

v5.01 is mind-bendingly good, imo. The progressive nature of SAT during cornering is superb.

Honestly, this may be the best ffb I've experienced to date. The bar has been raised. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

Hello, Karsten. :)

Thank you for releasing the rFuktor 5.0.1 so quickly. I did a quick test with the McLaren MP4/12 on Nordschleife and the heavy jolts I was frequently experiencing with the rFuktor 5.0 have now been reduced to the level they're not disturbing anymore. My wrists feels much safer now. :)

Thanks to your tweak in the file I was able to increase the vehicle specific FFB gain from 50% to 75% and the FFB with the McLaren MP4/12 feels even better now than it was with the rFuktor 5.0.

I could even increase the FX back to 30 from 25 where I had it with the rFuktor 5.0. The FFB feels very good now on the McLaren MP4/12. Actually, the best I have ever experienced with that car so far. :)

I did re-test the GTE/GT1 cars also with the rFuktor 5.0.1 and they still feel as good as they were with the rFuktor 5.0 so there was no need to make any changes to the in-game FFB settings.

I also did some testing with the in-game damping setting. I tested the damping with several different values (0, 15 and 30) and even tried to set it all the way to 50. To be honest, I couldn't feel any significant difference even between 0 and 50, a slight change in wheel weight maybe but that's about it. Maybe I'm not sensitive to this setting at all as the car felt totally driveable with any damping setting I tested so far.

Damping at 15 and 30 felt pretty much the same to me as 0 but I could tell a small difference between 50 and the lower values I've tried. I'm still unsure which damping value to settle with but at least for now I have decided to keep it at 0, it seems to work best for me and for my wheelbase. :)

To be absolutely clear, I am now using these in-game FFB settings with the rFuktor 5.0.1:

For higher downforce cars (such as the McLaren MP4/12):

Gain: 32
    Low force boost: 8
    FX: 30
    Damping: 0

For lower downforce cars (such as the GTE/GT1 class):

Gain: 37
    Low force boost: 11
    Damping: 0

So big thank you for the changes you've made to the file, they made a big difference to my driving experience with the higher downforce cars! :) I also just noticed you have released a rFuktor 5.0.1 variant with a static 30% damping and damping slider used for power steering, sounds very interesting. I will try that out next and decide later on which file to settle with, the original 5.0.1 or the power steering variant.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I watched this and made the adjustments within Fanatec software to emulate those used in the video. I was then able to drop the Gain from 75 down to 65, keeping my other settings the same and found this to be a real sweet spot for me.

Just thought I’d mention this so that @Peter Nielsen and @Mike Evans can try it if they’re interested and have the same base.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

I also just finished testing your new rFuktor 5.0.1 variant with the static 30% damping and damping slider used for power steering.

First of all, the damping set static at 30% from the file itself seems to be the right setting for my wheelbase, can't speak for other wheelbases but at least on mine it works just fine. :)

I much prefer this version over the original 5.0.1, mainly because now the damping slider has actually become useful again. In the original 5.0.1 version the damping slider was practically useless for me as it didn't make any significant difference.

One downside with this version is that now there's more adjusting involved with the damping slider as you can't simply just set it to 0 anymore and forget it like in the original 5.0.1 version. To get the most of the power steering function it needs to be adjusted per car or else the wheel is going to feel too heavy or too light when switching to another type of car.

Luckily it's quite easy to find a right setting for every type of car. Easiest way to do this is to load the track and car combination of your choosing and first off before entering the track, go to the in-game FFB options and set up the damping slider to a very low setting (like 0-15, for example). Then go for a drive and drive at least for couple minutes to feel how stiff turning the wheel is. If it feels too heavy, go back to in-game FFB options and increase the damping slider by 5% at a time. Then go back to the track to check how's the wheel turning after increasing the damping slider. If it's still too heavy, go back at in-game FFB options and increase the damping slider again for another 5%. Keep repeating this to the point the wheel doesn't feel too heavy to turn and leave it there, you will know when it feels right. ;)

I did some experimenting and ended up with these in-game FFB settings for the car types I mainly drive with. Remember, there is no right or wrong values for the damping slider (now known as power steering slider), you will know in your arms and wrists when it's set up correctly. ;)

For lower downforce cars (GTE/GT1):

Gain: 37
    LFB: 11
    Damping (power steering): 15-30

For higher downforce cars (such as McLaren MP4/12):

Gain: 32
    LFB: 8
    Damping (power steering): 35-50

Thank you again, @Karsten Hvidberg , for creating this power steering version of the rFuktor 5.0.1 file, I think many people will appreciate it and prefer it over the original 5.0.1 version. :)

• Informative Informative x 4
  11. Karsten Hvidberg

Thank you for all this, as usual, awesome feedback, @tUMi!

It really helps steer away from and towards things that might be bad or good or better.

Really appreciate it!

Best,

-K

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I’m looking fwd to trying this power steering version.
    i did a couple of experiments last night and converted the cantering and force scale system to what i use in Delta.
    I quite liked it as it gave more feeling of lift off oversteer etc. with momentary lightning of the resistance.
    will see how it goes with next version when i get a chance, having our work xmas function today so will be drunk and disorderly for the short term

for me and the way my wheel base seems to interpret high frequency stuff , i need to figure out the scrub feeling. it’s coming through a bit too slowly and rubbery.

I’m thinking that changing the spring values in the scrub and tear might be the trick perhaps.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

rFuctor 5.0.4 is IMO the best ever also. The most smoothed averaged that I have found. I made just a few small tweaks for the G920 for suspension feel and micro-bumps.
    In Game 95/11/25/10 12-22-21
    ffb_custom_settings - rFuktor 5.0.4_G920

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Karsten. Not quite sure which lines should or shouldn't be commented out. There seems to be 8 lines trying to do the same thing 2 ways. There are no #'s in front of any of them. Just a little confused, obviously. :confused:

(damping damping_slider)
    (power_steering_angular 0.4)
    (power_steering_df 0.3)
    (power_steering_vel 0.1)

#--- uncomment these 4 lines to use static damping and control higher forces by the damping_slider "power steering".
    (damping 0.3)
    (power_steering_angular (* power_steering_angular 3 damping_slider))
    (power_steering_df (* power_steering_df 3 damping_slider))
    (power_steering_vel (* power_steering_vel 3 damping_slider))
    Thanks.

15. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Michael,

Yes, I added the comment and then uncommented the lines myself 8)
    So they are as they have to be for power steering.
    The lines depend on the prior lines, as they simply scale them again. The idea is that the ratio you like should be present in those first lines and will work in both modes.

So it's the opposite now that they are uncommented: Comment them to go back to damping on the damping slider.

• Informative Informative x 3
  16. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry guys was my mistake. I did not copy the custom file to the AMS2 Beta folder but to the AMS2 folder. I have tested of course in the beta and there was still an old custom file. :oops:

17. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ah, gotcha. I must admit, I prefer it this way (power steering instead of damping on slider). And, it feels different, better different, to me, but would not be able to say in what way. Might just be a placebo too. :) Thanks again.

18. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

Looking forward to trying the v5.x this weekend. One question I have, seeing that I've seen it mentioned a few places that people are adjusting not just gain, but also damping and sometimes even fx per car class: Will it ever be possible that these type of per car/class adjustments could be made within the file itself and not meaning having to change FFB settings every time jump into a different car?

I seem to remember something in a changelog about car type's being made available to FFB or something like that? possibly I'm confused about that one. I know we have per car gain as an option but like I say, sounds like damping and fx per car too would be useful and If we could save a +/- % for each in the custom FFB file then it really could be a case of not having to always be in the FFB menu tweaking.

19. Manolo

Manolo Member

Hey @Karsten Hvidberg , in your new file 5.0 or 5.0.1, even if it is an insubstantial correction (because it is not very noticeable on the steering wheel), perhaps you have forgotten to insert a line of code, as highlighted by Stakanov and confirmed by Kuku, as indicated below in bold and red ;)

(left_bump_pos (max left_bump_pos left_bump))
    (right_bump_pos (max right_bump_pos right_bump))

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Karsten Hvidberg

Thanks @Manolo @Stakanov @Kuku Maddog ,

I'm updating the 5.0.2 file in page 1 with this change.

Best,

-K

• Like Like x 8