OSW Help Needed with FFB

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Spin, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Spin

Spin Active Member

Forget about those controller lines and disable all effects in MMos except overall filter. For Damping, Friction, and Inertia, you want to adjust it through Granity.

Check out my post above - OSW Help Needed with FFB

2. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

@Spin
    Yeah, I've wondered about the effect of spread between MCC & MMC variables myself; I run them a bit wider than most and while subtle, I like the results better.

I don't run with really high force settings as I have issues with my shoulders (may be arthritis) so I try to maintain reasonable FFB levels that don't aggravate them but, the FFB is still stronger than what my previous wheels could reliably produce the the overall FFB range is miles better. I feel that those settings represent RL steering forces reasonably well up to a point - certainly not in extreme circumstances such as hard impacts and the like. I mainly want to feel the front grip-loss and be able to enjoy balancing on the threshold.

With AMS FFB, I feel I'm currently getting the best sense of having a connection with the virtual car over any other title - even rF2 but, I credit AMS as making better use of tire-sounds in adding important cues that make it the top title for me. I think most other titles lack the subtle variations and timing of tire-sounds in relation to tire-grip when compared to AMS. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Korva7

Korva7 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I use argon servo drive so i don't have those adjustments in granity.

4. Spin

Spin Active Member

Ohhh, OK well what you can do is select one setting from MMos' "User Effect" and that should work extremely strong if you want :)

5. Korva7

Yes, that is what i do for other sims, but in ams i don't get as strong damping effect for some reason.

6. Spin

Spin Active Member

Which damping are you using, there are two in MMos...

7. Korva7

User effect damper. I also tried desktop effect damper, but that had no effect when in-game.
    If i take pure+effect 1 i get damping but i wasn't able to choose 360 hz ffb update rate then.

8. Spin

Spin Active Member

Yes, because effects will make the game use some of the old-style FFB work (old rFactor 1 style) and damping is part of that that's why you feel damping when you enable effect - the FFB controller.ini lines you wrote down a few posts back.

But most people use only RealFeel and nothing else (Pure 360 Hz)...I wish I could help you. I don't know what the problem is :(

Have you tried updating all software and firmware?

9. Korva7

I found out that my MMos firmware was old. I updated it, but that didn't help to this problem.

I'm pretty happy with pure + effect1 now. Just turned off all but the damping effect. Only draw back is that ffb update rate, but this feels pretty good with 180 hz also.

10. Spin

Spin Active Member

I noticed some people are still using Damping, Filter, and Inertia from MMos when they should be using it from Granity instead.

All downloads to setup/update IONI OSW (not sure about Argon). Updated to newest versions as of Dec. 7, 2016:

OSW (except MMos)
    • IONI Firmware v1.5.4
    • Granity v1.10.1
    • STM32 ST_LINK Utility v4.0.0
    • USB to RS485 Drivers v2.12.24
    - Click the downwards pointing arrow at the top-right of the screen to download

MMos
    • MMos FFB Firmware v0.99.2
    • MMos FFB Tool v0.91
    - You shouldn't need to download anything else listed in that link - just the 2 files (MMos Firmware and MMos Tool). If there's a newer version listed compared to what I wrote then download the newest version instead.

NOTE: You may not need to install #3 or #4, it depends if Windows automatically installs and if you use the RS485 thingy. The RS485 Driver is to make that little PCB thing with the phone-jack on one end and USB on the other end work. It plugs into your PC (USB) to allow Granity to communicate with the wheel. I had to install this myself on my system (Ollie IONI OSW). I also installed STM32 just in case the Windows version is older.

NOTE: Apart from using ST Link to update firmware, check in the ST Link auto-update section to see if it installs any updates.

NOTE: MAKE SURE TO setup your particular wheel's settings in Granity or load your motor's DRC file! I have not included this!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Spin

Spin Active Member

[refer to this post]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Dean Ogurek

Have you tested using 100% FFB-strength in MMos with a lower game-FFB setting? Some suggest that not using 100% in MMos reduces the range of FFB but, I have to wonder if it isn't merely Placebo.

13. Spin

Spin Active Member

Hi Dean,
    I tested keeping game @ 100% and lowering more MMos, and keeping MMos @ 100% and lowering in-game. I couldn't figure out which one I liked better so I decided to do a mix of both. I'll try doing another comparison next time I play.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Tom

Tom New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi guys,
    Just reporting back after having some time to test. I've tried @denis dracup's settings - big thanks for posting them but unfortunately I'm still not happy with the feel. I can get it nice and heavy without the oscillations but it's spongy through the corners as though I'm just understeering everywhere even when I'm not and I lose a lot of the road feel.

The formula vintage at imola 70s is also still a problem. I have to turn down the strength of the wheel to where it feels about as strong as my old g27 to avoid getting rattled off the road by the bumps.

Thanks also to Spin. I have the argon so can't adjust all the settings you suggest. Have to experiment some more with raising the MMC in particular. A little tentative about doing that because I've had the wheel lose ffb due to overheating (according to the testing tab in granity) after an hour or so 3 times in the last few weeks (in iracing).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. rocafella1978

rocafella1978 Member AMS2 Club Member

any OpenSimWheel (OSW) users who have successfully gotten their IONI Pro HC, MiGE 130STM10010 (10,000CPR/ 40,000PPR) to work properly, fine tuned it and make it work in AMS? I don't even know where to start with OSW in this sim, what to change or do, MMOS? Granity? complete and utter amateur and beginner with OSW. any help and guidance I will be grateful for!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  16. Dean Ogurek

As far as Granity settings go and assuming you have SimuCube, have you followed the recommended procedure as outlined by Beano or some other guide?

I find that AMS-FFB needs very little filtering with the OSW; I only added a small amount of baseline filter in Granity (less than 1%). I always like to achieve a good "rubber" quality to the FFB so it feels as though the wheel is producing detail transferred through tires, not just metal. :)

Of all the titles I play, AMS requires the least filtering through MMos to acheive that feeling and as Atle recommends with AC, set the MMos FFB-level high and lower the Game-FFB output to suit your preferred strength level. The only filter you should use in MMos if the Primary one; all other user settings / desktop settings (Right side of MMos) should be off / disabled with the SimuCube OSW.

There is new firmware coming from Granite Devices that will replace MMos and is said to allow improved adjust-ability and ease of configuration for the OSW / SimuCube system.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. rocafella1978

hi there, i have (forgot about the IONI, sorry!):
    • IONI Pro HC
    • 10,000CPR/ 40,000PPR
    • Small MiGE 130ST-M10010.

18. rocafella1978

figured it myself and will post settings (screenshots), no changes in "MMos" and "Granity" only made changes in game, works great. (100% nice @IONI Pro HC + small MiGE)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tom

Tom New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Rocafella,

Can you post those settings I'd like to try!

For my argon small mige I've been running MMOS overall filter 4, max ffb and nothing else. Granity default (I'm pretty sure). Anywhere from 40-90% in game ffb and pure360hz. Pretty happy with most combos now.

20. Dean Ogurek

I haven't tried it using the OSW but, with the AccuForce - I can use the filter (smoothing) to achieve the rubber-feel I want and then add some Minimum Force to increase the detail.

I have mine at 4% and it works very nice.