1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIELD OF VIEW - Offical Statement

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Berghe, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Berghe

Berghe BANNED BANNED

Is there any official statement on how to set the correct FOV in Automobilista 2?

Or is the way the youtubers and fov-calculators try to do it correct?

Thank you in advance and best regards!
    Berghe

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If your FOV calculator deals with horizontal FOV, it's working fine! :) (many sims, also AMS1 use vertical FOV, but not AMS2)

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I never was happy with the plethora of FOV suggestions. What I do in every sim, is to match the size of the virtual drivers hands with my own hands on the steerign wheel in front of the TFT in relative size. For most cars that makes 68-72, some require a slight +/- 0,5 seat adjustment in all directions, mainly up and to the rear. There is not much need for fov and seat adjustment in AMS2.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Berghe

Berghe BANNED BANNED

Where is a statement by the developpers? I know it is said to be horizontal FOV in AMS2... and vertical in AMS1, ACC or rf2... but... is there any official statement (accept the recommendation to "set the fov correctly" which you can find in the loading screen tipps of AMS2 sometimes) how to do it correctly?
    Because it seems to be correct, when calculated... but it also can look correct with much higher and lower FOVs... does anybody understand what I mean?

6. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Give us your monitor size and the distance between your nose and the screen and we'll supply plenty of suggestions. Failing that just use trial and error until it looks right. The [ and ] keys adjust fov live on track and WASD adjusts your seat position.

• Like Like x 1
  7. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 2
  8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I don't think the developers need to give an official statement on how to set FOV, there is only one correct setting for each setup. If not wanting to use the correct setting for your setup, just set it how you like it, then don't post pictures of your setup or you will have the FOV police all over you :p

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Berghe

Berghe BANNED BANNED

Thank you... :) I know the FOV calculators... and how to set it and so on... I was just looking for an official statement... instead of the calculators... because it can look and feel right as well far of the calculated fov... :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. John Hargreaves

Personally I think this is far more important. People get far too caught up with pedantic detail when after all we are just sitting in front of a telly with a pretend steering wheel pretending to race cars around. Do what feels right :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Berghe

Berghe BANNED BANNED

Yes. It is a game. So we are challenged to play around with the possibilities :)

12. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

FOV Should really not feel weird if its set according to calculations.

The problem usually lies in people using a monitor thats too small, or having them really far away from their eyes.

When I started simracing I had a Playseat EVO that sat in front of my livingroom tv, its a big tv (65”), but having it 1.5m away from my head theres no way youre gonna get a realistic FOV so you need to go with what feels good.

If your “correct” FOV doesnt give you enough real estate on screen, if for example you cant see your driver side side mirror, you might also want to play with it a bit.

Other than that, I think correct FOV is important and it can greatly help your sense of speed and depth so I wouldnt set it too far off whats mathematically correct.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This is really the true answer here imo. If you can judge distance and speed accurately while not getting motion sick then you win and everything else anyone may advise should be secondary.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

I feel this is like saying ffb isnt important as long as it feels good for you.
    Which is obviously also true, yet still developers go through great lengths to achieve proper/“realistic” ffb.

FOV Isnt a tool to make you instantly faster, or better. Thats not the point.
    Like you said as long as you can judge distance and speed thats all that matters.

Proper FOV will just help you with the judging part.

• Like Like x 1
  15. John Hargreaves

Given that FFB in any racing sim/game feels nothing like the feel of a steering wheel in a real car I totally agree with you. FFB in a game does an amazing job of replicating all the sensations we feel through motion in every other part of our body that are absent from the experience of sitting still in front of a screen, so it's a bit of a miracle, but it's still a virtual experience just like the view is. Add in a fan or two and a bass shaker and you turn an office chair into a 700hp racing monster. Video games are amazing and wonderful.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BB36

BB36 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I used to have my cockpit cameras FoV settings at 54. Today I wanted to edit it in game, but now the minimum FoV setting available for any camera is 104.

How do I edit the game files so I can select a cockpit camera FoV of less than 104?

Thanks

17. John Hargreaves

That sounds odd - the FOV can usually be changed for all cameras in the settings page, or you can use the [ ] keys to do it live while you are in the cockpit view. There's not really a need to edit any files.

18. BB36

BB36 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm responding to my own post, as I re-installed AMS2 and encountered the identical issue. By writing this, I'll remember how to fix it next time.

Prior to setting the FoV, setup the triple screen configuration first (including each of the left, center and right screens).

Once all 3 screens are configured, return to the FoV menu screen and now the minimal FoV settings can be changed.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

With triples, for me 57-60 is the best compromise between perception of how wide i see the track and the car.