1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pAMS2Spotter (p stands for Perfect)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by MasterLooser, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Squalido

Squalido New Member

I have been using simhub for the radar overlay for a long time, but started having some performance issues recently. So I decided to test this one for the radar and I must say that it works very nicely, a lot better than simhumb and I am at full performance again. I will later also test the spotter.

So if anyone is on the fence about this one, you should give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. JUAN L MATA JR

JUAN L MATA JR New Member

So far so good. No need to start an external app.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I also gave this a try and in VR the radar is fantastic along with the provided spotter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ben35390

Ben35390 Member AMS2 Club Member

Completely agree, tested on "flat" screen it's really great, too bad for the incompatibility with oculus, I will have to buy a G2 to use it in VR :D
    It should be implemented natively in AMS 2 ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. hu uashdiasuh

hu uashdiasuh Member

i hope if they chose to make a HUD element like this, that they dont create a crappy basic version like ACC where each car is displayed with the same size.
    while in ACC u can survive since all the cars are very similiar size, in AMS2 u have alot of different sizes and shapes. if its not dynamic, i am afraid u wont be able to trust it

but yea i would also love to see a proper implementation native in the game

if they want to go full nuts on this, they could probably make tiny models/textures of each vehicle/livery and display those in the radar with their appropriate size.
    fingers crossed

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I’ve only been playing around with this for a few hours this morning but it’s very impressive in VR. Having tried a few set ups I’m enjoying using it alongside CC and CC’s spotter. Using CC’s spotter as an immersion and rough guide alongside the accuracy of the radar.

Ive moved the radar down in my view as I find it a little distracting but this may just be me needing to get used to looking through it. The fuel information is very useful, I know you mention accuracy and it being a work in progress but it looks to have a lot of value.

My only suggestion, and this may well just be me needing to get used to the radar, would be that I’d find a clearer indication of ‘my radar signal/car’ rather than a slightly highlighted box. If my car were indicated by a green (as an example) outline I’d know instantly, and without having to really focus my attention, which blip I was. The colour change in blips when getting closer is a very useful feature.

EDIT: Just found the colour change info - perfect

As I say, I’ve only played for a short time so I’ll need to get used to it, I haven’t used radars much, so take my suggestion as just that rather than a criticism.

Great work, thank you.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

thanks everyone for the feedback.
    i was already thinking about a way to signal whether its clear or not.
    i have a few concepts in my mind but nothing actually written down.

i fully agree that the radar as such displays the information perfectly, but while racing you just cant look at it. so finding a way to indicate that its clear or not, without needing your eyes to focus at it, would be ideal

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I just have to post in this thread again after using the radar in VR for a few days.

Before using this radar I would lower the AI so I stay in front because they always stuck their nose in the back of my car and then I turned into them causing me to punt off the track. This happened time and time again with the AI. It did get better over the months so don't get me wrong but it was always an issue.

But it seems that I was the issue all along because I didn't really know how close they were even with CC telling me.

The radar alone has changed this game for me. I have now gone side by side through so many corners with the AI with absolutely no issues what so ever. This includes Watkins Glen using the F-USA cars with absolutely no issues. I now know where they are so I can block them before they stick there nose in or when they are right next to me mid corner I just stay to my side and I'm left with fantastic side by side wheel to wheel racing with the AI.

I can't express how awesome it is to run against the AI and not worry about them punting me off when it was really me turning into them.

So thank you for creating pAMS2Spotter.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
  9. jonathon

jonathon Linuxer

Two questions:

1. GitHub is intended for sharing source code of open-source projects rather than to be used as a binary download hosting site. Have you considered uploading your source code?

2. If the detection method/algorithm could benefit CrewChief, have you thought about sharing the improvements with the developers there?

• Like Like x 1
  10. MasterLooser

its not hosted on github anymore, but on google drive. i dont want to make my work public to copypaste stuff out.
    i have talked to him but he was busy with other stuff and never came back to me

• Like Like x 1
  11. DavitW

DavitW New Member

Good software bro, don't worry about the rest of these goobers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Wolf WolfZ AMS2 Club Member

what is this ? My antivirus picked it up during download your file. Gen:Variant.Razy.872396 ?

13. MasterLooser

hm tried todo some research on what this even is. apparently some hard to detect bitcoin stealer. i uploaded the file to some of the popular virus detection websites if all of them would create that detection but seems like the majority does not.

i assume the fact that i am hooking into the game and modifying rendering could cause this, even tho it shouldnt really.
    feel free to upload the file to those websites or analyze the file yourself.

Free Automated Malware Analysis Service - powered by Falcon Sandbox
    VirusTotal
    https://metadefender.opswat.com/

as i said the program doesnt establish an internet connection and the only file it ever drops is the config.json
    apart from talking to the process its loaded into (the game), it doesnt communicate with anything else.

edit: looking at the analyze log, it seems most detection vectors come from finding "strange" stuff in the byte arrays, which are just the wav audio files turned into a bytearray, so i dont have to ship them seperately.

edit2:
    so i compiled the tool without the audiofiles attached and then non of the detections accure, so my thought seems correct. its just a false positive caused by the audio-byte-arrays

theres nothing really i can do about this tho, except for shipping the audiofiles externally, which would, imo, cause issues. use it or dont

compiling without/with audiofiles and the respective virustotal analyze

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  14. MasterLooser

hey hey,

since i dont want to lock people out or forcing people to use the tool/program while their antivirus is going off, i have added a seperate, non Spotter Version (same tool just no spotter available) as download on the discord, which you can freely test with your antivirus or upload it to some of the website to test it against all antivirus, this version isnt causing a false positive and is also alot more lightweight (clocking in at around 214kb, compared to the ~8mb with audiofiles/spotter version).

apart from not having the spotter, its identical, so if you just want the radar/fueldata widget, u can now get it without having to be afraid.

i think this is the best solution for both worlds (the one who want the spotter and the one who couldnt care less)

• Like Like x 6
  15. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

For Crew Chief, splitting the audio assets from the application installer was (at least in part) driven by the increasing number of false-positives from virus checkers. In the end though, it actually proved worth the effort for other reasons (because of the sheer size of the CC assets set).

Even after the split I've had many terse and frustrated conversations with Microsoft's security team and their seemingly endless false positives. Their "recommended solution" was always to buy a digital certificate. From them. Every year. For $100 or something. It's a bloody protection racket

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. MasterLooser

that pricetag tho lol is that a code signing cert? dont they go for like 350 a year or is that only for drivers.
    ye i dunno, i am just the type of guy who likes to have everything handy and compact, i dont want dozens of files, aspecially if i have to load them into memory at runtime anyways. i also wrote a tiny program that i just drag and drop into the folder with all the recordings that simple turns all the audiofiles into headers, which made importing them into my project essentially a 1click process
    again this project was mainly target towards me and friends who are playing the game, so even if my antivirus would go nuts on it, i dont even have one, i would just whitelist it, and i assume so would my friends, but that was the first report of someone having an alert, and since my rep makes people scared, i thought i just give them an alternative that doesnt trigger their AV

17. jonathon

jonathon Linuxer

Amazingly consistent: MS solution is to give them money. :D

("Oh, you use a computer for work? You owe MS money because you're a "knowledge worker". What do you mean you don't use anything but a web browser? Doesn't matter, give us teh moniez!")

18. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

My 2 cents..
    But in a sim , the radar thing, is or not an helper? Is like expand a normal perception ..i think.

19. hu uashdiasuh

hu uashdiasuh Member

ye in reallife u dont have that, but in reallife ur fov is much wider and ur sense of space is alot better, also the sense of speed and sound is better. and there is no netcode that will kick u out of the race in reallife. so irl u have alot more that u dont have in a game.

in the end if u want full immersion theres absolutely no need to use it. its ofc an optional addon.

20. MasterLooser

Update 31.12.2021:
    The FuelData Widget can now Display Informations about your Safety Rating.

It will show your current (hidden) Points, the Points you have accumulated/lost this session (Practice/Qualy/Race), Your Tier (U->S) and how much Points exactly you need till the next Tier.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5