Information for Customizing AI drivers in AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by gian, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Harry H

Harry H Active Member AMS2 Club Member

AI seems to be driving better and overtakes are happening more since the latest patch..... tested with the Porsche Carrera Cup and all Caterham variations so far, all at Donington, FYI

2. Luciano Santos Filho

Luciano Santos Filho Active Member

He told it, he did it by trying 317 times, lol.

Seriously, there should be a way to get/exoprt these names from the game somehow.

3. Harry H

yep. I found another one today with the same fix needed. So much work!

4. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I could see the extra space quite easily in the F3 liveries, 'Kota Racing #46', compared to 'Kota Racing #71' and started checking for extra spaces in other non-working liveries. It was sheer petulance when I tried putting a space on the end 'just to prove that it wouldn't work' but it did!

I see since the 1.3.2.0 update all the names that use non-Latin characters are causing issues. I don't know if they're cracking down on unrestricted characters or if it was an unintentional change. I was using accents for Cacá Bueno (to avoid the "good ****" reference instead of "good cake"), Átila Abreu, Matías Rossi, etc, and using the non-blank space (Alt+0160) for "Di Mauro" and "Piquet Jr".

Other custom drivers such Walter Grubmüller and André Lotterer are now showing as default drivers. I've had to resort to Grubmueller, Andre' and using underscores for Renger Van_der_Zande.

Ah, me!

5. Harry H

Thanks for the info!

6. Blaine7

Blaine7 New Member

I just created a custom driver grid with eSTee3's tool for the Copa Uno (Fiat) based on the 1993 season. I took most of my information from this blog:
    Blog do Carelli: Copa Onix Jeans de Fórmula Uno – Temporada de 1993
    (used Google translator). I used the names of all the drivers in category A that scored points at the end of the season and the last drivers of category B. I only changed the race and qualifying skill, with the first driver being at 1.0 and the last at 0.04 and all the rest in between. I left all the other values how there were in the tool. Nationality for all the drivers is Brazilian (I checked).
    I also created a custom championship for the Copa Uno for 1993. Would uploading that file serve any purpose or can it not be used for other users/profiles?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  7. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In a car class where there are only 10 liveries, such as the Porsche Carrera 911 GT3 Cup 4.0, is it possible to race with more than 10 custom AI drivers (without using other car classes to fill the field), or are we limited to a 1-to-1 mapping of livery-to-custom AI driver?

If you choose to race against 31 default AI opponents in such a class (ie. not using a custom AI file), the game will fill out the field with 31 different AI drivers, but with some sharing the same liveries. Is it not possible to fill out the field with 31 custom AI drivers sharing liveries? Or is the number of custom AI drivers always going to be limited by the number of liveries for that car class - in which case, can all classes not be filled up with 31 liveries, even if most are basic monotone colours, so we can at least have full fields with custom AI drivers?

8. Romeo Foxtrot

If all the cars have custom drivers then only those names will be used. You have to leave one (or more) of the cars without a custom driver in order to get random default drivers, with whom there's no duplication that I've come across.

The way it works is cycle through the cars as many times as they'll fit in the chosen grid size and to assign a random default driver each time it would have duplicated a custom driver.

There are only four Lotus 23s. If you name three of them and fill a 32 grid race with the Opponent Field Type as 'Identical' it will cycle the four cars eight times. Each car that has a custom name will be duplicated. Each car that doesn't have a custom name will be filled with a random default driver.

In my previous post I said that non-Latin characters weren't being accepted but Blaine7's file worked fine. I began investigating further and it seems it's my Excel.

I have 67 xml files and they're all in UTF-8 encoding except for six of them which are in ANSI encoding. I've no idea how that's happening but I have a workaround as it's always the same filenames that are being created in ANSI encoding.

I've only tested up to 31 drivers in each class but so far I think I've found all the quirky livery_name spellings. All my classes now have custom drivers.

Oops, all the cars except 'Formula Trainer #24 - N.Gonçalves Skin' and 'Formula Trainer A #24 - N.Gonçalves Skin'. These two have eluded me.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  9. Luciano Santos Filho

Luciano Santos Filho Active Member

Not the biggest fan of the Uno, but as a Brazilian I must say your work seems to be very interesting. And I have to admit, there is quite some story to this series from what I have heard.
    And also, it seems that no session (let it be P/Q/R) would be declared finished until one of the Unos had rollover :D. Now, seriously, I found this video where the commentator says the races were 35min long, answering a question you made in that blog you linked.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Harry H

Maybe it's the way you're adding the special characters. I'm using the Google tool to generate those and then cut /paste them in. Try a cut and paste of these. They are working for me in the latest build -

Formula Trainer #24 - N.Gonçalves Skin
    Formula Trainer A #24 - N.Gonçalves Skin

11. Romeo Foxtrot

Thanks, Harry H.

I can't believe I left the extra spaces on after sorting out the utf-8/ANSI issue. <slaps head>

12. Blaine7

Blaine7 New Member

Thanks a lot!!!
    I put my championchip to 30 minutes now. But thanks for looking that up and reading my comment in the blog :)

13. Harry H

Haha, easily done. So you have the complete set of liveries, checked in-game and working? Would you consider posting them to share? I'm about a 3rd of way through checking and correcting my own set :eek:

14. Harry H

This is a fun set! Great work.

15. Romeo Foxtrot

Give me some time to tidy up the sheet and post it up.

16. Harry H

That would be sooo appreciated!

17. Romeo Foxtrot

How do I upload an Excel spreadsheet?

18. Romeo Foxtrot

OK, I've zipped it.

Attached Files:

19. Harry H

click 'post reply; and there's an upload file button at the bottom :)

20. Harry H

Fantastic, thank you!!