Bouncy cars

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Gasngrip, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Gasngrip

Gasngrip Member

Hey guys,
    Is there a fix for cars feeling bouncy?
    Wonder if it's an issue for someone else too

Thanks

2. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Set camera to legacy mode, reduce head movement to as low as possible.

3. Gasngrip

Gasngrip Member

Thanks for this, but I actually feel the car is bouncy through the ffb

4. azaris

Which car?

5. Gasngrip

Gasngrip Member

Last one I tried was porsche

6. azaris

Which Porsche?

7. Gasngrip

Gasngrip Member

Gt3

8. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Not enough rebound force in the rear dampers. Can't be fixed for Cayman GT4 and 911 Cup because the available setup option step 2 is not enough. For the GT3 simply up rear damper rebound 3-4 steps.

9. Gasngrip

Gasngrip Member

so it comes down to setup? I thought I was something in the cars physics

10. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In what way is the bounciness a problem for you, in other words: Is it difficult for you to hold the wheel steady, is it difficult for you to get a fast lap time, or is it giving you motion sickness? Depending on your answer, different remedies may be necessary.

11. Gasngrip

Gasngrip Member

Yes, the wheel feels bouncy

12. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you're running the FFB profile "Default+", this has a lot of bounce feel. You should try switching to "Default" and reduce the FX slider, or maybe try "Custom" and choose a file from here: Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations
    With a custom force feedback file, you can tweak the FFB feel further to give you even less bounce feel.

13. RDG

RDG Active Member

I'd have to agree with OP.

I've always said there's an underlying bounciness to the physics/tire engine that's not supposed to be there. Not all cars have it, it's mainly the ones with stiffer suspensions.The GTEs are fine for instance.

I just tested the following combinations back to back, 30 minutes minimum, using VR.

Mercedes AMG W12 at [Legacy] Daytona 2008 Road Course in iRacing
    Formula Ultimate
    at Daytona Road Course in AMS2
    RSS Hybrid 2021 v3
    at Daytona Road Course (Reboot v1.3.1) in Assetto Corsa

AMS2 has by far the most bounciness of the three to the point where it's simply uncomfortable to drive because you can't see half the time. I can reduce world movement to alleviate it a bit, but then the cars just keeps bouncing under me and it even rotates under me on the banking. I tried reducing the springs, lowering tire pressure, using Default+ or Default FFB, lowering FX, nothing works. Car keeps being very uncomfortable to drive to the point where it's no fun at all. The bounciness also translates into the FFB when cornering to make the car constantly lose and gain grip. I also noticed (and reported) that the wheels seem to clip the road surface, maybe the problem is down to that?

And before people start posting ancient onboards of Senna driving Monaco to somehow show that F1 cars aren't supposed to give a smooth ride: the Formula Ultimate is a 2019 F1 car, one of the most sophisticated cars in the world with extremely advanced suspension geometry where stable ride height is crucial for proper aerodynamic performance. They do not bounce this much.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. neal

neal Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Have found a similar problem with the GT1 cars at vintage Jacarpagua (1988?) using the default setup on each. And that slipthengrip phenomena is most disconcerting when it happens too which means on that track you slip into the curbs and the curb throws you under the bus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RDG

RDG Active Member

Literally the first race of a Formula Reiza championship at Jerez is the same issue. Can't see anything on the straights because of the bouncing.

16. RDG

RDG Active Member

I'm convinced there is something wrong with the suspension model of the Formula Ultimate and Formula Reiza (and possibly other cars).

I took the Formula Ultimate (AMS2), RSS Hybrid 2021 (AC) and the W12 (iRacing) out for a spin to compare how the suspension moves around when driving at varying speeds over sausage kerbs.

The RSS Hybrid and W12 perform just like you'd expect based on slow motion F1 images from real cars. The suspension compresses and moves in a realistic manner at all speeds.

The Formula Ultimate and Formula Reiza show 0 (=zero!) suspension travel whatsoever, even after changing the setup to be as soft as possible on the front, the suspension literally does - not - move.

Please have a look at this, I'm fairly convinced this is where the annoying bounciness comes from.

17. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried legacy recently and had to switch back. On some cars the bouncing is so bad that you can't focus and it gets nauseating.

18. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Its important to separate the graphical and FFB sensation of a car hitting kerbs or higher speed bumps from the physics of the car bouncing. For physics, its about how the car responds to the bumps. Race cars are generally stiff and don't handle these things all that well. But what's important is how the car responds.

For example, if you are driving a car and it launches after hitting a kerb, but when it lands it thumps to the ground. This would indicate the suspension (springs/dampers) are too stiff. You'll hear the engine RPM spike when hitting the kerb as the car lifts off the ground.

If the same car has soft springs/dampers, it will feel like it glides over the kerb better, you won't hear an engine spike, but it will take a second or two to settle and you will hear the revs going up an down as traction fluctuates after you have gone over the kerb.

Finding the balance between the two is critical damping, thats the first goal.

The second goal is to find the balance for a track. You might like a nice stiff car for a certain track, but there are some vital kerbs or sections of track which may require a softer setup. Its up to you to find what is right for you.

Defaults do the best they can to provide appropriate stiffness and softness for a wide range of scenarios, but the more extreme a track is, the less suited for it the Defaults may be. Ultimately, it might not be a "physics problem", but just the way the Default handles the features, and most often the Default can be altered by the player and are also being looked at by Reiza for any room for improvement.

If you are a player who is sensitive to these things, but only drives Default setups, I would suggest dipping your toes in the setup pool so you can enjoy the game better.

If you can separate out the above and start getting the feel for whether the car is damped appropriately, BUT you do not like the FFB severity or how the car looks like it is moving up and down. I'd look to your FFB and the camera settings.

There may indeed be a Default/physics issue with a car, I am not here to say what you all are feeling is wrong. All I am saying is that its important to isolate the sensation you don't like first so we all have a better idea of what the conversation is about and that there may be user based solutions or setup solutions.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. RDG

RDG Active Member

I've been trying many things to dial out the bounciness of those cars and to no avail. I've tried different setups, tuning camera settings and simply can't get any front suspension travel even when using the softest suspension settings. The issue in my opinion seems isolated to the front suspension, the rear functions in a logical way.

As I mentioned earlier, the Formula Ultimate is based on a 2019 F1 car. These cars have extremely advanced suspension geometry because having a stable ride height is vital for proper aerodynamic functioning. This doesn't mean it's stiffly sprung and they call it a day. The bounciness I experience is not only visible from inside the car (to the point where it's downright uncomfortable to drive), it's also visible from outside the car using the trackside cameras and it's something you don't see on real modern F1 cars.

20. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Is the car not actually not handling bumps? Or is it just the visuals you are trying to tune out?

For bumpy tracks, try softening the HS bump dampers only on all elements too see if it has and effect. Keep the rebound as is. The aero + rebound will keep the car at optimal ride heights. We are looking for the wheels themselves to cushion:absorb a bit better. If that doesnt work, try softening the springs.