1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People's impressions of the "Sprint Cars" - no grip in 1.3.2.0

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by BazzaLB, Jan 4, 2022.

1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I just took a quick race (10 laps) at Kansai in the Sprint cars. Throughout the entire race my tires seem to lack grip and I am constantly listening to scrubbing / sliding sound when cornering. These things used to have grip in spades but now they just slide constantly.

What are people's thoughts on these cars in the latest build 1.3.2.0? Do they seem to have an excess of slip? I havent raced them for a while so not sure when this lack of grip started exactly. May have been present for some time, but the Sprint cars used to have massive amounts of grip. I only added the AMS2 version for future reference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

That may also be Suzuka. I don't know how deep the track surface simulation goes in AMS2, but the Suzuka track is quite low grip in the real world. ACC simulates this as well.

Maybe try the Sprint Cars on another track as well ans see if they grip better there.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I’ve found the sprint cars to be way too stiff in the suspension, theres no give at all , which probably doesn’t help the tyres find what little grip the have.
    My thoughts anyway.

4. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Yeah, it's definitely not a "fun" car anymore. Used to be an obvious candidate for a car to start with if one just got into sim racing and picked up a copy of AMS2.

A couple of quick searches didn't really turn up info on how they drove IRL. Some cars that got harder to drive in 1.3, such as the Porsche Cup cars, should have done so. Does anybody reading this have the knowledge to say if the Sprint car is in that bucket or if it was collateral damage?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I still love the Sprints. Adapt, improvise, overcome! In earlier days they were definitely too grippy, tho.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

These cars haven't been good to drive for ages, probably even pre-1.2. At first they were very very easy, no understeer or oversteer, just turn the wheel and floor the throttle. Then at some point they were okay but the rear tyres wore very quickly and you started skating around after a few laps. Then they became complete dogs full of understeer that couldn't be tuned out. Now it's back to the tyre-spinning and constant slipping and sliding like they have 700 hp. I've given up even trying them until something changes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. BazzaLB

Just completed a quick race (10 laps) at Jerez in the Sprint Car. Started mid field of a pack of 20 (I think). Made my way up to first place but around lap 8 the grip level dropped off dramatically such that I could barely keep the car on the road. The tire widget showed optimum temps and not a lot of tire wear.

The level of grip wasn't great to start with but very manageable, but the sudden drop off was surprising given the fact I could see no real reason for it (Maybe tire wear widget isn't accurate because I did expect much more wear given the fact you constantly hear scrubbing).

8. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe the tyre window is bugged since last patch or so. I don't know. Will investigate :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sprintcar race100/50 Jerez No Aids. Wear, failures and damage on
    This is not my favorite car so I'm not able to push it hard

Sax O'Hare(7)

Lap
    02:10.588
    01:59.880
    02:00.040
    01:59.127
    01:59.573
    01:59.920
    02:00.326
    01:59.714
    01:59.008
    02:00.691

Lap 9 was the fastest, grip good till the end

• Like Like x 1
  10. BazzaLB

Thanks for giving it a go. I had another round and once again by lap 7-8 its like driving on grease. Admittedly my best lap up to that point was only 2:00.010. Maybe these sprint cars are just not for me.

11. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If it's anything like before, the tyres can blister from too much wheel spin even if the temperatures remain below 100 C. So they will look normal with no significant wear, but drive like on ice. There really should be some kind of indicator for tyre blistering, otherwise people will just think the physics are broken.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Atanas Dmyanov

Atanas Dmyanov New Member

I just tried a few races on Imola and Brans hatch. I think handling is spot on. Remember this is not a GT car and is rear engine with very light weight.

13. BazzaLB

Hmm, could be .. makes sense

I tend to race the Caterhams the most so not completely GT centric racer anyway. Don't get this from the Caterham 620 at all. But its a completely different car but just in case you were trying to infer I just slam my foot to the floor and expect arcade handling, I don't, but the unexplained grip drop off is what I was questioning.

14. Atanas Dmyanov

Atanas Dmyanov New Member

Where do you experience grip loss? On the corner entry or exit? Trail braking is bit tricky due to weight transfer.

15. BazzaLB

Well, the solution to my problem was embarrassingly simple.. Setup change! A click here, click there, dab of this, dash of that and not only was I faster , but my tires lasted until the end of the race. Sure my fastest lap was on lap 7 out of 10, but the last ones weren't miles away. I think the issue is your tires can lack grip due to surface temps / blisters? but you can't necessarily see this and the sudden loss of grip can be unexpected (at least for me it was).

• Like Like x 2
  16. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

To be honest, (and this happens with SprintRace cars as well), I find that in AMS2 it's very easy to radically change the behaviour of the cars just by making changes to toe-in and toe-out settings. It's so effective if you want to gain cornering grip, that at the moment, it's the only setting I am touching.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

May I ask what changes did you make?

18. BazzaLB

Just 3 changes really
    Rear downforce - 4
    Front ARB - 8
    Rear ARB - 4

That seemed to stop the constant tire scrub / slip whilst being able to maintain some level of grip when cornering and accelerating out, thereby preserving the tires more. I'm no setup expert btw (as may be obvious ;) ).

• Useful Useful x 3
  19. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Many thanks. :)

20. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

I drove them today for the first time in a couple of months and I was very disappointed. I used to drive/race this car a lot around Adelaide and had some great battles. Now however is a different story, lots of tyre screeching, scrubing, sliding, and mass amounts of snap oversteer. I don’t want any car to be easy to drive but I personally think this car and a few others I’ve drove today feel like they have gotten worse.

• Agree Agree x 2