The good, the bad, the meh

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GodzillaGTR, Jan 23, 2022.

1. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Without knowing how far along Reiza feel the cars are, I can only judge the cars by how they feel to me. So here is my list(s)

Top 4 Best
    1. TSI Cup - These feel so on the money it just puts a huge smile on my face. Every second I drive these cars I feel so immersed. They can slide and get away from you and you can wrestle them around.

2. Porsche Cup Car - Never driven a real one, but based on how guys like Elliott Skeer and others describe it, this matches it nearly perfectly. So much fun and a nice challenge. I look forward to driving this one when I boot up the game.

3. 1974 Porsche RSR - Perhaps a bit easier than the real life car was, but believable enough for me to enjoy this for hours at a time. So fun ripping it around Monaco. I think maybe some adjustments to the tire model for this one and it would be in perfection territory.

4. 2021 Stockcar - These are just a blast and can be playful, driven aggressively and also punish mistakes.

Top 4 Meh
    GT3, GTE, GT1 - These all feel fairly blah. I will race them but I'm not excited about it.
    P3 Rocco - It feels very generic and seems to be one of those cars you can just crank the wheel to the max to combat understeer.

Worst 4
    I should confess I mostly enjoy openwheel cars, however I pretty much dislike every openwheel in this game aside from the Formula Trainer and the F Vee. There are various reasons I don't like the cars but I would summarize by saying when I drive them they don't feel believable or realistic most of the time.

That is more than four but I'll add one more... the Super V8. The way the car reacts when you have it pointed straight and the front end sloshes around under power is just irritating. I watch a lot of Super V8 and in real life they look more like the Stockcar V8's handle than the Super V8 in the game. It just seems comical and exaggerated. The front of the car acts like a bobblehead and I don't get that driving similar cars in other sims.

Just my opinions of course :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I agree and after returning to the OG AMS i feel more and more frustration with AMS2 in many ways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GodzillaGTR

Yeah the openwheel have been a massive disappointment for me. I don't feel it is the game engine though, as the cars I mentioned that are my favorites feel amazingly realistic. Some things make no sense at all to me though. If I compare the Ultima GTR which is amazing, and the Super V8 which I feel is terrible, you have 2 cars with a very similar power to weight ratio and even in torque.

The Ultima is RWD and Mid-rear engine. All the power and the weight are in the rear, so when I come out of a corner I expect the front to kind of want to wander on me.(which is what you can experience in the Porsche Cup). In the Super V8 which is also RWD but the engine is in the front, I absolutely do not expect the front of the car to sway off the way it does. It defies logic. If you had 2 giant skateboards and one had someone sitting on the front and the other one had someone sitting at the very back and you were to push them as hard as you could...which would have a more squirrelly front end?

I'm sure a bunch of people will @ me for that but some specific cars just feel terrible. The ones that are great feel so spot on though.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I don't even want to get into it anymore, all things I've felt have all been mentioned many times. I really hope the AMS1 feel is able to be found and translated to AMS2! I have retested AMS1 again today and it really is in another level on the couple of cars j tested today, the grip loss, the weight transfer, the understeer and even the audio is really great, also the FFB is something really worth bottling.
    Anyway, we have more updates coming so I live in hope it will get there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't mind them, but if you read other forums the TSI Cup are probably the most hated cars out there. People just don't like slow boring road cars.

The 1974 Porsche RSR is a candidate for the best car in AMS2 and maybe the best historic car in sim racing. I think it's more fun to drive than the celebrated ACL historic mods for AC.

I love all the F1 cars from FRetro to FV10. Sure, many of them have small issues in the setup that need to be fixed, mainly with the default aero settings. The FClassic G2M2 has the aero balance too much to the front, while many others have it too much to the rear. Then there are some tyre model problems. The FRetro slicks do not reach the operating window unless you drive them like a maniac or crank the cambers to maximum front and back, which seems like an exploit. But I basically can't drive F1 cars in any other sim after AMS2 because I'm sick of the old rFactor 1 feel. It's all front grip and no rear grip, the slightest amount of throttle and the car does a donut, downforce doesn't seem to exist at all and 90s F1 cars fly off the track at 150 mph if you turn the wheel too much, uncontrollable lift-off-oversteer at 70 mph on corner entry etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hehe to the contrary as said above about open wheelers I solely drive (and like) as example the F-Reiza and lately the 6x US Cart cars.
    I want to feel some wroaah when I floor the throttle.
    And have some fun when I see the 2x slick tires in front of me wobbling when they try to keep traction.

ByTheWay: Conserning the joy of watching the front wheels working while driving I can remember a Tyrell P34 six wheeler mod for one of the older racing sims (F1RC ???) where there was a special window in the cockpit to exactly look the tiny 4x front tires when they like 4 soldiers was tactful marching. :p

P34 Monterey Motorsport Reunion Side view.jpg

7. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

While I am not saying anyone here is right or wrong, I look at it this way: Have you driven any of these cars in real life? And if not, how can you possibly say whether they are accurate or not?

I like the feel of the open wheel cars in the game I think they are fantastic to drive. Most of the cars feel fairly realistic to me, including the GT car, but I am just GUESSING as to what the real cars are like. My opinion isn't really based on anything other than the normal street cars I drive, which are not race cars (despite what I like to believe lol)

I am saying they feel realistic, but I have never driven any of these cars. I am willing to bet if you ever got to drive some of these cars in real life you would probably be shocked at how wrong you were about how you thought they would handle.

The best the game developers can do is accurately model the physics and the cars should be close to their real life counterparts.

A bunch of people on a forum who have never driven any of these cars in real life giving their opinions on how they like the cars in the game is kind of useless...What would be very interesting would be for someone to get a driver from various motorsports to try the cars in game and say what they think. That is the only opinion that would really matter when it comes to simulation accuracy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. BrunoB

@ControlLogix I would both say yes and no to your argumentation.
    Because I really dont care much if somebody else does tell me that this or that car does drive exactly as in RL.
    This is my hobby and the only thing that matters pour moi :D is if I find the behaviour reasonably "convincing" or "reasonable".
    These vague criterias shall be seen solely according to my experience from my street cars but also from some track experience when I was young and tried to start a career up in a rented FF1600.
    And no unfortunately it wasnt in a F1 car :rolleyes:
    - but none the less I have an oppinion about how it must be to drive such a monster :p

ByTheWay: There is an interview out there with an older Nigel Mansell after he had crushed some sim racers in a racing game/sim. And his comment was that if driving a RL F1 car had been that difficult then both he and most of his colleagues would have been killed ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GodzillaGTR

I personally believe that "realistic" (I prefer the term believable) in simracing has a range. The GT3 cars in most of the major sims feel believable to me, with some on the harder side, and some on the more forgiving side. I don't buy the argument of "You've never driven the car in real life so your opinion is not valid". I have never put my hand in lava either, but I have a pretty good idea of what would happen if I did.
    I'm not demanding that Reiza bow to my wishes or anything, just sharing positive, negative and meh impressions of the cars I have. There is no such thing as 100% accuracy. It is a videogame not real life so all I expect is a decent reasonableness to either what I have experienced, know about basic physics, seen in real racing or heard from input of drivers who have driven the real cars. I don't feel like there is any trolling in this thread so I see no harm in sharing impressions. \_(``,)_/

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have an opposite opinion, I love most of the openwheelers. Nice feeling in the cars and they are fun and challenging to drive, Some are a bit extreme, but that is also a nice challenge, finding the right line and setup is a lot of fun.
    the trainers and Vee are not directly part of this for me, especially because they are a bit slow.
    There are also more fantastic cars in the game
    I think it's a bit early to have a more or less final judgment, after 2400 hours I don't feel like I've gotten to know every car well, but maybe I'm sluggish :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I have a really great time with AMS2. I never drove a real life race car so I don’t know how they suppose to feel and handle. For me AMS2 feels great and I enjoy the hell out of it whether it is life like or not. :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. BrunoB

Hahaha.
    Thats a hot argument - thank you.:p
    I will remember this until next time I see someone saying: Because you have never been driving a RL F1 car your oppinion is disqualified :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. GodzillaGTR

If I had to pick my favorite openwheel right now, I would say the Gen 2 F Retro. Any particular one you prefer?

14. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hard to choose, but I will say Classic Gen3 Model2, AMS2 Affinity says V10 Gen2, I'm in the process of resetting TT times, and I haven't gotten around to the older cars yet, The Retro Gen 2 was always nice to, I didn't drive It that much lately, maybe I should do that again soon, the next model to do some Time Trials

• Like Like x 1
  15. BrunoB

At the moment my favorite open wheeler is the 6x US Carts.
    Im just about to reset the TT WR on the Imola Historic in these cars.
    And specially the last 2 corner combination of a lap where it is possible to drift through like it is 1 single corner gives at least me a great feeling.
    Nono nothing sexual :rolleyes:

Drifting Imola Historic.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. BlaKArg

BlaKArg Member

This is an interesting thread and topic and although I mostly disagree with OP (except for the Cup Car, RSR and Stock car being at the top, they definitely are) I would love to see more people post their opinions on this format.

17. GodzillaGTR

I thought it would be an interesting way of looking at the content with honest opinions. Of course these can change as well given how much work is still going in to the game. I have fallen in and out of love with the Cup car like 2 or 3 times already haha.

18. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ain't that the truth. I've seen comments suggesting they prefer AC or the original Pcars over how this game feels now.

19. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

Note that most of this thread is from January 2022, in case it's been missed :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Enthony

Enthony from Far East

Don't know how it was before, but now as I see V8 aus drives amazingly well and natural