1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 v PC2 Graphics (ONLY)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Richard Chapman, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Can you share these facts with us please? The ones that aren't just opinion masquerading as fact. Your example above - more rounded, solid and correct, certainly seems more like subjective opinion than objective fact.

2. F2020

F2020 Member

They have done lots of work on the shadows which look better and also the lighting and shaders have been improved and reworked. Its all on various release notes upon patches, check back through them at your ease mate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Didn't know that. Doesn't have to be accurate though. It's just for atmosphere.

4. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Nordschleife is also missing the techno music a la R3E.

5. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Should only be audible close to the camping grounds and the the main parking at Döttinger Höhe ;)

6. azaris

That is how it works in R3E. You hear faint background music as you drive past those sections. Now if only they could simulate the smell of BBQ in the air...

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

It's a well know fact that all the best TT times are doen with this soundtrack:
    ;)

8. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Don't forget PC1 for graphics too. For my money it's the best of all three versions, I think they had to slightly downgrade the graphics in PC2 to make way for more physics.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

Hey Azaris, I completely understand what you are saying and from that video shown you are right in what you say. I’ve watched a fair few of Billy Blazes videos over the months, sometimes AMS2 looks more like real life than real life and it’s shows in some of the videos I’ve watched. Again I’ve experienced AMS2 looking awesome at times but then other times not.
    The actual trackside replays from PC2 are by far the best and most realistic I’ve seen from any sim, as I said in my original post they sometimes could be mistaken for real life as they look that good. Massively impressive from a 4 and a half year old sim. I have hope and optimism that Reiza are not finished with the graphical side of things in AMS2 and they will utilise the full capabilities of the Madness engine in the graphical department as SMS did for PC2.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

Hey F2020, AMS2 is highly defined in the graphics department and I completely agree with you on this. I’m sure there has also been improvements made in certain areas of both graphics and visuals, AMS2 is a stunning looking Sim. I was mainly just curious at the reason why Reiza decided to change certain aspects that in my opinion made AMS2 not look as good as PC2 in certain areas/driving scenarios.

AMS2 can look amazing with certain track/time/day/weather combos and it’s a Sim I seriously enjoy driving. Take for example Spielberg/5pm/15-8-2020/Heavy cloud, when driving down the pit straight (cockpit view) I think this is as close to real life as it could possibly look in any Sim. Also Monza 1991/9am/15-1-2020/Heavy cloud, after the first few turns and then driving round curve grande the sky is like nothing I’ve ever seen and totally blows me away. There is hundreds/thousands of possibilities in AMS2 and it can genuinely look amazing, but they also do in PC2.
    As I also said before the trackside camera replay’s in PC2 are without doubt the best I’ve ever seen and you can be mistaken for thinking it’s real life, I just don’t get that same feeling when watching the trackside replays in AMS2 and again I was genuinely curious as to what changed and why.
    You should try out those 2 combos I’ve mentioned above or anyone reading this for that matter as I know people would enjoy them. Also feel free to message any of your favourite combos and I’ll try them out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Are you happy with the shadows? That seems to be one of the aspects that gets the most criticism. Thinking that things look better is opinion - not fact. There are may people who would disagree with your opinion, certainly on the shadows, not really sure what lighting and shader rework you are referring to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Well to be fair the shadows in both pC2 and AMS2 look bad, but Reiza have improved them in certain ways but the distance shadows remain the same. In a back to back AMS2 shadows do look better but imo not in the way that was needed. I understand Reiza trying things but where the shadow improvement came was in a way that is barley noticeable compared to the glaring flicker of distance shadows.
    This is a fact we can all get behind :p
    Cant wait to test these two thanks :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the best looking tracks in AMS2 were those made within madness engine, as opposed to the tracks ported from AMS1. Tracks like Spa and Laguna Seca look so much better than older tracks like Brands Hatch or some of the Brazilian tracks. Obviously these ME-built tracks are lot harder on fps though, so I guess there is a compromise.

Compare Brands Hatch in summer with the versions (and same conditions) in pc2, ac and acc, they look so different. I think it has something to do with the grass and the very light track.

14. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Problem is most video cameras (GoPros, etc) don't do a good job catching images IRL when mounted in a car due to the dynamic contrast inside the car and light/images coming through the windshield. There are settings in the camera that can help alleviate this but they only do so much. I think it has to do with the limited contrast and gamut available on a lot of modern micro video cameras. Those shots in no way match was we see with our eyes in the real world.

I think I know what the OP is getting at, due to the hue and reflection of light from the cars, the cars in AMS2 look like they have bodies made out of plastic, while PCars2 seems to present a more realistic shine.

15. azaris

Yeah maybe. The external cameras in PC2 also look different because: 1) there's more bokeh and motion blur, making it look more real and less videogamey, and 2) the cameras track the player car less precisely, they weave a bit and take some time to focus at a distance, just like a real camera with a person behind it does. In AMS2 the external cameras laser in on the player with perfect focus at all times and it constantly switches to the next camera as soon as the player is some distance away.

Oh and the PC2 default liveries tend to more detailed and realistic-looking, adding to the contrast between the two.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Yeah the trackside cams in AMS2 are not great sadly. I hope they get better but seeing the last patch notes Brands Hatch got updated, Renato must have approved them yet they are possibly worse than previously. Hope that was a bug and not by choice.

17. X-Vector

X-Vector New Member

To me, vehicles in AMS2 look like toy cars compared to pretty much every other sim out there.
    That's true of their appearance on track, in the showroom and on the thumbnail views in the car selection area.
    When comparing the Formula Classic Gen 3 to its AMS 1 counterpart (with similar modded liveries for both) the difference is rather alarming.
    The colours, the gloss of the paint job, the gleam of the rims, the tyre texture, these all look so sumptious in AMS 1 that I can almost smell the petrol.
    In AMS 2 the liveries are still well done, but the graphics have such a dull quality that the effect is almost totally lost.

It's not just the cars though; the game on the whole has a flat 'cartoony' look with a lack of colour diversity apart from the basic R, G and B coupled with a distinct blueish hue that results in a clinical appearance completely lacking the naturalistic grit that its predecessor has in spades.
    I realise it's very much a minority opinion, but IMO the visual side of AMS 2 is its weakest aspect, especially in sunny mid-day conditions.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Since you don't have a signature with your specs, it's hard to respond, but if you have a semi-modern Nvidia GPU, you can easily change the color saturation, or blue tint that you mentioned by hitting ALT-F3 while you are in game. Then, you can do exactly what "reshaders" do for AC, change everything...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  19. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The filters in the nvidia overlay are available to pretty much everyone who installs geforce experience from at least pascal on, probably earlier too and the newest shaders added like SSRTGI only require a dxr enabled card. So again 10 series onwards although in practice you'll most likely want a 20 or 30 series card to make meaningful use of it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

While I haven't play AMS1, yea I think I know what you mean when saying they have a "toy car" look. There is just something off that doesn't make them look realistic.