1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do we still have PC2 players instead of AMS2 on PC?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Jan 26, 2022.

Tags:
  1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm baffled by seeing a higher daily average players on Steam Charts for PC2 than AMS2. Granted, they sold a crap ton of copies before their massive loss of focus.

I think I'm going to post something about in Steam Discussions and PC2 forums (if they still exists) trying to recruit more users to AMS2.

Does anyone have examples and specific features where PC2 remains better than AMS2??

1. Selection of track and cars???
    2. Chief Engineer (question based auto-setup)???
    3. ???

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. projupiter

projupiter Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the car and track selection is great, thats about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DavitW

DavitW New Member

Oh my god who the hell cares?

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. VFX Pro

You must care, since you did read and replied. Regardless, I do care, because I want AMS2 to continue grow and also because I feel it also has the most potential amongst the choices we currently have...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. EmilG

EmilG Member AMS2 Club Member

The only reason I play PC2 is the single player career. The numbers you see on steam charts aren't all playing online. PC2 has a fantastic single player career that you can play over and over.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. VFX Pro

Great point.

7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

3. UI that is slicker and more functional
    4. Built-in pit radio
    5. "Career" mode

Apart from that, yeah I don't know either. Kinda contradicts those people who keep insisting Reiza need to stop creating new content altogether and focus on "fixing the physics". Cool content sells games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

The draw of Knockhill, Scotland's finest racing circuit. ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No Croft, no buy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

PCars 2 is way more casual than AMS2. That’s why.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GJDriessen

GJDriessen Member

Would be cool to get more UK tracks indeed :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. F2020

F2020 Member

Ill jump into this :) i actually booted up PC2 for the first time in years last week and have been playing it every night, i used to play it loads, so was a really nice blast from the past.

I was really pleasantly surprised in fact, with all the hate it gets online i wasnt expecting to have so much fun, the online nonsense had clouded my memories as its a real fun title, handling is OK, tracks and cars are amazing, plus the whole package is done really well.

Love Knockhill as per someone above says and also love driving the Ferraris in VR, amazing experience still to this day, especially the California highway :)

On a side note: If Reiza could do a California highway type track that would be awesome. Like some kind of Brazilian point to point test track that would be ace.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. jusk

jusk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Lots of contributing reasons I'd say - but I'd say PC2 has a much higher profile / awareness level with the more casual side of the audience, and it has been included in many big sales and bundles - i.e. you could pick up the game plus DLC for ~10 $£€, and it's a finished product - many aren't interested in relatively obscure, relatively expensive WIP.

As others have mentioned - it's a good option for an offline career. I don't think it's particularly great for that, but it's probably the best option available at the moment.

14. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Content

I recently fired up PC2 with the silver raw profile and was pleasantly reminded by the amazing amount of content and it really didn't feel as bad as many made it out to be.

It's a shame SMS never properly finished and polished it.
    My ultimate fantasy would have been SMS selling the game/content rights to Reiza to take over and remaster, like ISI and studio 397 did.

IMO....there are some gems in AMS 2 but I feel the little know Brazilian content just isint appealing to alot of sim racers as they can't relate.

Just looking at the majority of content used in mp is heavily modern GT stuff...and to be fair you can get a larger variety in pretty much every other sim and find more people to race with.

At the end of the day I'm just glad the player base has increased since AMS, and I'm sure it will continue to grow as the title matures.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Jack Spades ffb files and the single player career mode (which is pretty bare bones but nevertheless still immersive) make it a pretty good title. It offers lots of lower formula fun and good variation in career path choices. It's packaged well and doesn't require lots of fiddling to get it working the way you want (sharpening and ffb tweaks). I'm surprised people have to ask the question tbh and I'm still amazed when I look at titles like rfactor2 and the pickle thats in with ui, questionable content etc. PC2 is just a no nonsense unpretentious driving title. That appeals to a lot of people, clearly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Fun fact: "California highway" is Highway 1 along the coast, the more scenic alternative to the usually faster Highway 101. In Brazil, though, their equivalient to Highway 101 goes along the coast from Rio de Janeiro to São Paulo… imagine driving from Copacabana to Interlagos :whistle:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

One thing that shouldn't be underestimated is the fact that you know where you stand with PC2. It's done and dusted. Although it has bugs and is considered unfinished/unpolished, you know what you're getting with it. There's a certain level of consistency there.

With AMS2 as it stands, it's a lottery every time there's an update. Sometimes it's a win, sometimes not. I hope we get more wins like we did with 1.3.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

Content.... can get pretty close to 2016 season of WEC at Le Mans or Fuji for instance with Porsche, Audi and Toyota LMP1s, LMP2, great selection of GTE's especially if you use the brilliant custom grid tool.

Bannochbrae is pure class driving in lots of different classes.

Knockhill with the Clio cup...

Lots of Ferraris ie the 355, Enzo, 288 GTO, FXX etc...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member AMS2 Club Member

Coming over all nostalgic with comments like that. PC was my introduction to sim racing and thoroughly loved the product. Really miss the forum (ignoring the toxic people) it was a good place to learn and the advice was great .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Not sure which road you're talking about, but if it runs along the coast you'll not get anywhere near Interlagos.
    I do agree that a California Highway style P2P track would be nice though.