1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim Racing. General discussions and thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maser V6, Jul 2, 2020.

1. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Definitely the future of race sims. The flight sims have had this for a few years now, and Google Earth VR has been with us for six years, so it's taking simracing a while to catch up, but once they nail the close up detail to a believable level then you'll be able to pick anywhere on the planet and go drive there. Something to look forward to.
    I remember suggesting this on a flight sim forum and also the WMD forum just after the Rift CV1 came out and it got dismissed as impossible (which it may have been at the time). You just need something like Google Earth and bolt on a physics simulation to move you around the space. Then along came MSFS2020, which allows you to see the scenery from some distance away so the close up thing isn't a big deal, and the rest is history.
    Once they glue the relevant tech together, this will be standard practice for sims I reckon.

2. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Hi John sure looks and sounds good so yes Near future.
    Interesting your thoughts from back then, Tech sure moves at an exponentially rate these days,
    60 years at the college of life here in 2 weeks and seen some stuff change, back in this thread I posted about Sims of the future inflicting pain for errors lol, its out there just not mainstream, sort out the wreckers lol for sure, 'The Internet of Things ' as they call it has massive potential.
    The future is bright as they say.
    Have fun

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Maser V6 while that Photogrammetry is impressive its the rain from CSP and SOL in AC that impresses me most.
    I made a video about this time last year at watkins glen and the rain was/is just amazing.
    Sections like he boot section the way the rain changes direction to coincide with the forces and direction is incredible, the build back then had no option to speed up the wipers but even still its mind blowing.
    I havent tried it since then but im sure its even better now.

• Like Like x 3
  4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

And the good news is I believe ilja who did the rain effects in AC is working for Reiza now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Maser V6

Hi, F, dont know the name but heck that sounds very promising, Livetrack is tip top and considering pc1 was ahead of its time in this respect,imo. What we have now with Reiza is super, apart from the said rain effects. So looking forward to any improvements.
    Have fun, lots to choose from:)

6. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

wow really? that is ecxiting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. F1Aussie

Taken from a post on the the June Dev update at RD.
    David Peres Jul 2, 2021
    dwightyone said:
    And I've heard that the guy Ilja from Assetto Content Manager is working with AMS2 - is that true, is that true?
    His name is in the credits (Ilja Jusupov, not to be confused with another AMS2 dev called Ilya), but we don't know what is the extent of is involvement with AMS2.

Niels Heusinkveld is also in the credits for AMS2 but as far as we know Niels involvement with AMS2 is very small, so it might be a similar thing with Ilja.

We dont know the extent of his involvement though.

8. F1Aussie

I hope so, the rain effects are probably the thing that could be improved the most on the gfx side of AMS2

9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

At least this part with Niels do NOT have to be exaggerated.
    In one of his latest videos it sounds like his only "involvment" is just an old friend from the AMS1 days - hanging a bit around like one or two times a year ;)

10. RockyTM

RockyTM Modder AMS2 Club Member

Where to begin :)
    I started simracing in 2005, when GTR 1 and 2 from simbin was all the rage. I happened to see a video of a motion rig made by Force Dynamics, a prototype only..

I immediately got hooked, called up FD, and ordered one.. I didn't even know how it looked like in its finished version..
    A few months later it showed up, and I haven't looked back since..

The first version had projector and screen, since big flatscreen tv's wasn't a thing yet. Resolution was terrible, and the steering wheel was a converted sega arcade with 240 Degrees of rotation, but it was FUN.. LFS was the go to game, and everybody was amazed!
    This is how it looked when it showed up:
    [​IMG]

The seat was back breaking :)

Very first drive, brand spanking new.
    [​IMG]
    Then I found a video on youtube that imagined what a bunch of these would look like..

I decided I would actually do this.. it only took 15 years :)

The machine has gone through many iterations and upgrades...
    Believe it or not, but this is the same machine from 2006.
    [​IMG]

So, you may safely say that I've gone all in when it comes to sim racing, and even after all these years, I'm still as hooked as ever, and I keep reaching for the ultimate virtual driving experience.. With this machine on full blast in VR, you are pretty darn close!

And.. of course, its also room for some pure fun!

Thank you for reading :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Maser V6

Rigs to dream of?
    It would be yes from myself, We all have our passion these chaps share their enjoyment and bring immersion to another level.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  12. Maser V6

Photos RL?
    link would be nice to see. Or some pics here!

13. Maser V6

HAVING TROUBLE WITH HARDWARE SOFTWARE AND ALL THOSE USB SIM ADDITIONS.
    Pc's are great when all is well.
    As we all know when it goes wrong its rather frustrating, worse when others have same or similar gear and they dont have the issue ie 'game does not recognise wheel' cant assign buttons' 'try another usb port' the list is endless. Windows updates also cause many issues. Hours are lost as well as hope sometimes.
    This vid may or maynot help but it is another measure than when all else fails.
    I thought when I shutdown thats what it did!
    Kernal's

@Cully is dd sorted? hope so

14. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

...for clarity to people who may not be aware of operating system features...
    Pay close attention to the comments from 1:02 to 1:18

...this feature is referred to in documentation as either "fast shutdown" (as per this video), or "fast start-up", as per lots of other documentation.
    In simple terms - the operating system is not actually "shutting down". It's pretending to, and then as a result it's able to start up much quicker.

This feature can be easily disabled (examples are below - but there are many more articles out there - do key word searches based on "fast shutdown / fast start-up").
    How to disable Windows 10 fast startup (and why you'd want to) | Windows Central
    How to turn on or off fast startup in Windows 8.1, 10, and 11 - Lenovo Support GT

...this may be an issue for some people, but it's pretty simple to manage.
    I don't use this feature myself, but for some folks it might be really useful. But be aware that your PC is not actually "shutting down" when this feature is enabled.

• Like Like x 1
  15. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Disabling the so-called "fast startup" is one of the first things I did when I got my current pc a few years ago, fast startup makes shutdown take a lot longer and it doesn't make starting up any faster in my experience.

16. Maser V6

If you dont follows Will's channel and have yet to see.
    Friday coffee video.
    Shoot!! Did he say :eek::eek::eek:$9-$10000 per Monitor.( Aussie dollars)
    Ok Thanks to Will at boosted some insight into the rig.
    Tips for those that have big pockets
    Dream material for folk like me.

17. Maser V6

Of you own the Pc2 title you may wish to try this. If you hate it. np, step away!
    After this popped up in tube town, I thought, well some of the tracks I miss and I know not all the cars are naff. At least I know I had fun for some many hrs even. If never driving 75% of content and the weather and stuff was top dog back in the day.
    PopsRacer FFB - w full SOP Chassis, full tire patch, and full carcass worth a look and yes. Chappy in above vid is correct.
    Tried a few and enjoyed, Willow sprs, etc, couple of runs in the 49 lotus at track we wait for. Mmm.
    EDIT Seems car specific for benefits, levels and adjusting per car pays off. Historics atm feels better than gte type, esp worth a look Group C V12 chainsaw Jag giving the C9 Merc a run for its dominace Spa Historic, Le- Mans Historic etc

Have a good break / weekend

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

Thanx Maser for posting this. :)
    It’s good, true thing.
    BUT the best thing is, after doing some laps with this FFB mod in pc2 with different cars, to fire up AMS2. :p There is sooo much more to feel. :D:):confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I play PC2 often, mostly practice sessions with random cars on the Nurburgring or the P2P tracks. I then jump back in AMS2 and find myself wishing for more road cars and some P2P tracks lol.

Can't wait for the Street Supercar DLC to drop, especially with the latest improvements!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Maser V6

Jaguar_Sport.jpg Friday coffee vid, takes us back to 1991. On a New Silverstone layout.
    Our very own Tiff Needel drives the beast that is the 'Jaguar Sport' V12 powered, Tom Walkinshaw (Le Mans 24hrs fame) offshoot from group C, road/race car.
    Almost center steering/seating position from Peter Stephens co designer of the later Mclaren F1 the car is not for pussies and has no wizardry. Worlds first carbon fibre and kevlar road car.
    The race series it was produced for to support F1 was called 'Jaguar Intercontinental Challenge' and included the Monaco track!.
    Plenty of power oversteer and seat of the pants, real car, big balls, scary machine.
    I could have added it to the AMS2 wishlist of cars but thats a beta thread, so its here instead!
    Would love the car in AMS2!
    Taken from Top Gear 1991 EP 10. Tiff tests the new Jaguar XJR15 at the new revamped Silverstone circuit. Great onboard footage as Tiff goes for it on the last lap!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 2