Bouncing horizon

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Fanapryde, Dec 17, 2016.

1. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I also don't see any difference , the only thing.........
    The plugin takes my replay camera out for a spin ??

20161218085539_1.jpg
    20161218085537_1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. hex

hex Damage, Inc. AMS2 Club Member

Try it out on a very bumpy circuit, and then (if you did everything correctly) you will see the difference. Plugin does only and exactly what it was made for - locks horizon :)

Maybe @Professionalsimracing.com will do some comparison video some day ;)

3. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

I seem to have only one .prl file (in bold).
    There I changed the values to zero (in notepad) and still bounce around.

Btw: trying each time with the V10 formula on San Marino. In chase cam I can see the car rocking really hard, so that must be bumpy enough... :D

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

Just installed this version:

##################################################################
    //# Real Head Motion, plugin for rFactor2 Beta
    //# Author : Sébastien Tixier
    //# Version : 0.2 beta
    //# Date : 2012 01 25
    ###################################################################
    There are two files which I both unzipped in Data (E) > Steam > steamapps > common > Automobilista > Plugins
    - RealHeadMotion. dll
    - RealHeadMotion (config)

I used your exact settings in the config file (using notepad and saving)

I edited the player.PLR to set all vibrations to zero

Started AMS, took the V10 to San Marino and nothing happens, apart from the bouncing world ??

Now, I have AMS on my E drive, while the Users > Admin > documents > Automobilista > userdata > Fanapryde (where the .PRL file is) is on the C: drive (SSD).
    Could this be an issue ?
    Or did I forget something ?

5. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

R u using cockpit view or bonnet view?

6. Professionalsimracing.com

RHM only works in cockpit.

7. Professionalsimracing.com

And there should now be enough seat movement to get bonnet-like view from cockpit.

8. SaxOhare

Yes, Cockpit

9. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

Always cockpit view...

10. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

Problem solved. RHM works now.
    I downloaded and installed another version and for some reason it is OK now.
    I can finally race without motion sickness.
    Thanks for the effort guys ! :):):)

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. SaxOhare

Can you post your download link?

Thanks

12. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. SaxOhare

That site is familiar :)
    What version do you use?

14. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

The second one.

15. Spin

Spin Active Member

In real life, with multiple different F2000s, I could barely read the numbers clearly on my tachometer at certain RPMs, and I definitely couldn't read the big number in the mirror on the nose of the car behind me because the car vibrates so much. I could even see the steering wheel vibrating at certain RPMs.

16. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

Correct, but the view through the windshield, when eyes/inner ear/brain work together, will never bounce.
    RHM seems to mimic RL view very well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Spin

Spin Active Member

Yes but the eyes, inner ear, etc. don't work to enable me to read my dials or view the number on the nose of the car behind me in my mirrors. I still couldn't read them. Your eyes, inner-ear, etc. can't do anything about another object vibrating.

RHM is just the opposite end of the game's default. One (default style) gives you the bumps, movements, sensations, and "feel" of being in a real car - and a much more realistic "overall experience" (my opinion based on my real life open-wheel/prototype experience) but while negatively affecting your vision since we don't have the inner ear, brain, etc. connection to compensate. The other method (RHM) compensates this for you but while: A. giving you only a tiny fraction of the vibrations, bumps, movement, violence, etc. associated with many cars in reality (especially racecars) which therefore makes driving (especially a racecar) much more melow and serene than in reality, and B. makes the car bounce around and move around relative to the driver which, for the most part, is also unrealistic. So both methods are opposite in what they get right and wrong - overall though, both are just as wrong. From purely a difficulty-point-of-view, one style makes it more difficult than reality (default) and one style (RHM, locked horizon, etc.) makes it more easy than reality.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  18. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

Right again, but that only applies for your dash and the mirror and everything that is attached to your car and vibrates together with it.
    When a car passes you, you might not be able to see it clearly in the side mirror, but when you can directly look at it, you will.... unless maybe if you had a few drinks too much... :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Spin

Spin Active Member

Yes, that's part of why I said both methods are wrong but from opposite ends of the spectrum.

20. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

I get your point. No method can replicate the exact sensations you get IRL, but the default one makes it impossible to drive (for me) in some cars, while RHM solves my problem, is adjustable and imo comes closer to reality. In my younger days I competed a few years in 125cc shifter carts, entered some RX events and I still do occasional track days. Never experienced the outside world moving around (not even as a passenger in a GT3 or a Radical). For that however (when not driving myself) I need to take some motion sickness medication :D

A couple of videos about IRL drive viewpoint of the driver. Keep in mind that both times it is - obviously - a camera recording, and since a camera has no brain/inner ear etc... it will still not show what you actually see, because it simply can't. View is also distorted because of the camera's focal length and angle of view (look at the mirrors), compared to the real eye.
    Now if you like to compare the default view in AMS (take the V10 around Bologna (classic Imola for instance), NO WAY that is even close to these examples.
    It was mainly because of this experience that I started the topic, since in most other cars I drive, the shaking world is much less noticeable...

http://jalopnik.com/5926361/what-does-it-really-look-like-to-drive-an-f1-car

Another one where Nico Hulkenberg is driving.

Here's What a Formula 1 Driver Actually Sees During a Full-Speed Lap

Again: opinions always differ, but using RHM (which I did not like in AC before and still don't) is the best option for me to get a view I would expect.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1