1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. BumbleBee_VR

BumbleBee_VR Legend AMS2 Club Member

So did anyone find the solution for when launching AMS2 with steam selecting Oculus VR but AMS2 still trying to launch SteamVR but failing and running in flat screen mode?

I updated to the latest AMS2 but still does it :(

2. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

I have that happened every once awhile...don't know why but I suspect it was the add-on not loaded in Steam. I have Pimax 8kx.

3. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Just curious, do you have motion rig? And using motion compensation?

4. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

No I do not, just a Rift S and a playseat.

5. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I don’t have new head movement ON or OFF option, I have 0 to 100

6. ControlLogix

I mean the legacy head movement option

7. ControlLogix

So I experimented a bit with the settings tonight. I set legacy movement to 0, and turned all the other settings to zero. It seemed ok, but then I turned legacy head movement back to 1 and I noticed that with legacy head movement, if I drive on the grass, the car bounces, and the horizon bounces as well, meaning that I am bouncing with the car, which is good.

When I turn legacy head movement off and use the new settings, and drive on the grass, the car bounces, but my horizon doesn't bounce much, almost like I am not bouncing with the car. I tried playing the with g settings (vertical, then the others..this seemed to make the car bounce more but my horizon not move more, almost like I am becoming more detached from the car itself). Nothing seemed to make my view move with the car quite like using the old legacy head movement.

Obviously I want my view to move exactly with the car, when bouncing etc, to get the best feel when driving in VR. Is the only way to do this with legacy head movement set to 1?

8. ScythieVR

ScythieVR New Member

For me the new camera options doesn't work as well in VR & motion.. The reason is, as said above, the camera is too much oriented on the horizon, wich result's in strange bouncing.. This is specifically obvious when driving on grass or hard elevations..
    Went back to legacy..

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pabstar26

pabstar26 New Member

I also reverted back to legacy mode in VR with my motion rig...
    The new camera physics is nauseating for me in VR, even with every parameter set to 0 whereas Legacy mode is the most wonderful VR experience for me, and I'm really not prone to VR sickness.
    Too bad because Daytona could actually become enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kdaneracer

Kdaneracer New Member AMS2 Club Member

I have the G2 facing my monitor 49" ultrawide and I need no lights on.

11. DutchFireMan

DutchFireMan New Member

Same

12. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Makes me wonder why Reiza wasted time and resources on a VR feature nobody asked for or wanted when the legacy settings were working sufficiently well. They could've the spent time/resources working on Multiplayer or other aspects of the game, eg: in game DLSS or FSR, or any other feature upgrade people have been begging for.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

I honestly never touch or play around with it whatever camera they implemented. I read how people reversed to legacy and set certain settings back to 0 and that's what I did...don't want to get dizzy. It was fine before so I definitely don't want to mess with something that ain't broke. I think the camera settings are specifically for those that don't have motion rig so they are designed to help them move or tilt in VR....virtually, not literally.

14. jonathon

jonathon Linuxer

This happens to me with a Quest 2 if the HMD isn't connected correctly so Link doesn't show, or Link just isn't activated - the "solution" has been to reconnect and enable Link, and then start AMS2.

15. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

So, just to summarize: For VR, especially those of us with VR and motion rigs, is it recommended to set "Use Legacy Mode" to "0"? Or, is the consensus that setting it to "1" is the better option? All other settings to zero as well?

On the subject, is having the camera totally locked to the car realistic? Don't our eyes act as a natural gimbal of sorts, and having the horizon bounce away in the background wrong? Or can we still compensate with our eyes as normal albeit through VR goggles? Just a thought exercise if nothing else.

Lastly, why on earth did Reiza not simply use "Enable"/"Disabled" for the setting name after "Use Legacy Mode"? Using a zero and 1 instead is the laziest piece of UI oversight ever.

• Like Like x 1
  16. arminglf

arminglf New Member

I never touched the camera settings until after the latest update, not sure how it was before but after that update it felt very weird and the VR center was drifting a lot, also when spinning out the camera would make a sudden correction that really messed up the immersion.

Just saying this to emphasize that I don't have much experience with these settings, however to fix the issues I was getting I set head movement to 50, legacy mode to 1 and all the rest to 0. Head movement to 50 so the car movement and horizon movement are balanced, changing it to either 0 or 100 is unrealistic, like you said in real life our eyes will stabilize the horizon but only to some extent especially in racing cars with harder suspension, so you will always have both movements.

And seems like setting the other ones to zero fixed the weird sensations and sudden corrections I was experiencing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

G2 (and other) VR owners - sharper/better performance using original FSR upscaling mod with more extreme upscaling.

TLDR; By using 0.6 factor in mod and 180% SS in steam, you get a far better image than 0.8 factor and 100% in SteamSS (as cost of upscaling is constant, but gains can be much more) - game looks and runs beautfiullly at 90fps... bar as usual the night/wet combo. Any news on this @CrimsonEminence ?

So basically, taking a leaf out of my recent MSFS2020 experiements, it become obvious than upscaling works better when there's a bigger delta between the original and the new (to a point) and going beyond 100% res of the headset nets you a nice gain.

Full details in my updated G2/VR guide here - AMS VR G2 Settings

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  18. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

When recording my gameplay with GeForce Experience the recorded material has a huge FOV which distorts the image but in the VR headset it looks normal. Has anyone an idea what causes this?

19. Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman Member

I think Geforce Experience captures the monitor feed, not the headset feed. Or maybe it tries to use both eyes at once? To capture VR, use OBS and its VR plugin that captures straight from the VR image (left or right eye).

OpenVR input plugin

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for keeping your guide up to date and continually testing it for all of us! I concur that the new approach of lowering the factor in mod, and raising Steam SS results in a better picture than before. However, I still find disabling the mod altogether is better on my PC.

I'd also like to second @CrimsonEminence providing an update for VR optimization, specifically at night and/or in the wet. Heck, ANY improvement in VR performance would be welcomed wholeheartedly!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2